Author Topic: Puppy crates  (Read 329 times)

Offline Neil

Puppy crates
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:12:54 PM »
I've used a puppy crate with Bobby since he came to live with me and it's been brilliant. He has a basket in the crate, at the back, with free space in front where he is fed and has a water bowl. He seems to feel content and secure with it and trots in happily enough when he knows I wasn't him too.

My question is when (if ever) I should stop using the crate and leave him the freedom of the room. I trust him from the house training point of view but worry about him chewing inappropriate things up to and including power cables. Having said that I've left him uncrated, alone, for up to 45 minutes or so, with out problem, he doesn't seem to display separation anxiety.

So has he earnt more freedom? It's kind of convenient to use the crate but it's not something I would want to keep doing too long if it's not fair to him.

Offline Abbie105

Re: Puppy crates
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »
If he likes it and you don't mind either way, I would say keep it. Ted had one but the door was left open at around 4 months. I got rid of it 4 weeks later as it was huge and taking up too much room. He's perfectly happy in his bed since .