Author Topic: New Puppy With Existing Bitch  (Read 973 times)

Offline dianejoneschester

• Site Member
New Puppy With Existing Bitch
« on: June 29, 2005, 12:35:49 PM »
Hello I posted on the new introduction forum stating that I had a cocker called Millie aged 4.  We picked up a cocker cross boy puppy yesterday.  Can anyone help.  Millie has been ignoring him all yesterday and up till an hour ago.  He is very submissive but Millie is now growling at him when he walks past or goes near her.  Any advice please on the situation.

Offline Jessie

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 01:12:57 PM »
Hi,

Do not worry!  I put a posting on here a couple of weeks ago - I have a 2 year old bitch and introduced a new puppy.  After 6 weeks my 2 year old still growled and sulked with the puppy.  The responses I got from COL were that this is normal and could take 6 months for them to settle! - and I have to say, that as time has gone on their relationship has got better.

Has Milly been the only dog in your household for 4 years?  If so, she is probably a bit miffed about the new comer - wondering who he is, why he is here and of course, why he is taking some attention!  We always make sure that visitors to our puppy still said "hello" to Jessie (the two year old) first, so she did not feel too left out and get jealous.

Just leave them to it for now and just keep a watch.  Milly will get curious about him in the end.  She may start to boss him to let him know this is firstly her territory but as long as it is not vicious, this too is normal.  After only a day and a half, I would say that Milly needs more time to adapt ....

Do let us know how their relationships develops!

Offline paulb

• Site Member
    • http://barney.moonfruit.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 01:26:19 PM »
hi,
sorry i have no advice as i only have the one little tearaway (Barney who is a16 weeks choc roan),

would love to look at pics  :)
Barneys Website

With Best Wishes, Paulb, Evonne ,Ollie, Alice and of course the great Barney

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 02:42:15 PM »
Hello I posted on the new introduction forum stating that I had a cocker called Millie aged 4.  We picked up a cocker cross boy puppy yesterday.  Can anyone help.  Millie has been ignoring him all yesterday and up till an hour ago.  He is very submissive but Millie is now growling at him when he walks past or goes near her.  Any advice please on the situation.
[snapback]134304[/snapback]

Many thanks for the reply, I know it is very early days yet and only time will tell but it is reassuring to know .  Millie has just gone for the new pup, they were both trying to come in the back door together, have ignored it, but it is very hard.  By the way we have called the new pup Mac.

Offline fi61

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 03:00:16 PM »
Hope Mac settles in, I always say in this situation they are just sorting out the pecking order, things will get better :P

Fiona

Offline Jessie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 03:24:34 PM »
Any chance of some photos of Milly and Mac?? :D

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 03:55:04 PM »
Try not to worry, it will soon sort its self out.

My labrador bitch was 10 when we got Lottie.

It took her a few days to realise that this little biting, lively whirlying devil was staying.

Now, they are very close and Lottie follows Goldie everywhere. They snuggle up together to sleep when its cold and Lottie often sits licking and washing Goldie.

Your two will sort out who is boss and then it will all settle down. :)

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 07:38:51 PM »
Try not to worry, it will soon sort its self out.

My labrador bitch was 10 when we got Lottie.

It took her a few days to realise that this little biting, lively whirlying devil was staying.

Now, they are very close and Lottie follows Goldie everywhere. They snuggle up together to sleep when its cold and Lottie often sits licking and washing Goldie.

Your two will sort out who is boss and then it will all settle down. :)
[snapback]134354[/snapback]

Millie is still not accepting mac.  He is being very submissive to her and they tend to avoid each other.  Only problem we have is when mac forgets and tries to play and then millie goes for him big time.   Any advice please please

Penel

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 11:10:45 AM »
You have to be patient - it will usually take weeks or months for your existing dog to accept the new one.  Just hang on in there and ignore them - just let them get on with it - its completely normal for your older dog to tell off the new one - my 7 yr old bitch tells off my young ones all the time !

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 11:58:15 AM »
My parents had a four year old cocker boy when they got a Shiz Tzu bitch puppy last year. Our house cat passed away and they felt he was missing company. Mac's was not happy at all to start with and essentialy ignored her for 6 weeks. Gradually it has gotten better although she does tend to boss him about and try and steal his toys. With a bit of patience and a lot of telling her off they are now good friends. My Mum was distraught at one point thinking she would have to give her new pup away.

After about 4-5 months they started play fighting which is very funny to watch and get on well. Don't worry she's just worried that you don't love her anymore as she has to share you attention. Whne she realises that she's still your baby she'll be fine. Good luck!

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 11:59:33 AM »
You have to be patient - it will usually take weeks or months for your existing dog to accept the new one.  Just hang on in there and ignore them - just let them get on with it - its completely normal for your older dog to tell off the new one - my 7 yr old bitch tells off my young ones all the time !
[snapback]135304[/snapback]

many thanks for the reply, progress is slow but sure, every day gets slightly better, just.  Mac is a joy to have, funny, mischievious, and very accident prone,  only problem with him is he howls all night long.  Millie sleeps in our bedroom and so bringing him up is not an option at the moment, but would love him up there once millie is more tolerant.  He has the kitchen, utility room but last night he howled for 6 hours non stop, we finally relented and let him out and he slept peacefully in lounge on the floor, so I got 3 hours good sleep then.  Please have you any advice on what to do.  He has howled for a week now non stop and as you can imagine, we are all exhaused not least the poor neighbours as we live in a terraced cottage.