Author Topic: Bad day  (Read 1755 times)

Offline kaz60

Bad day
« on: January 06, 2015, 04:18:21 PM »

Today I feel like I have just had enough! Arthur has been a nightmare all day, biting, jumping up, really excite able everything rolled into one. I really don't think I can do this any more, I keep hoping that things will improve but he is such a strong willed dog and nothing seems to tire him out. He is having 2 walks a day, morning and afternoon plus the garden when he wants out. I've got my grandson tomorrow and I'm dreading how the dog is going to be. Sorry for the moan but im well and truly fed up!  :'(

Offline lescef

Re: Bad day
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »
Sorry to hear you are still having a bad time. I just wanted to tell you how we cope with our grandson. Both dogs have always been very 'interested in him as they generally only see him once a week so don't leave him alone. We have had him since he was a baby and he is now nearly two. Maddie would probably get fed up and wander off, but Bramble is easily aroused and will bark at him. For the dog's sakes and our grandson's safety, they spend most of the day in their crates with intermittent kongs and chews. It isn't ideal but is safe and hopefully will get better as Myles gets older.
We take grandson out in his buggy, the dogs either come with us or are let out for some respite! It can be stressful trying to cope with a child and a puppy.
What I'm trying to say is -don't try to manage both of them and don't feel guilty if you have to crate Arthur for a good portion of the day. Hopefully it won't be that bad!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Sue E

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 04:48:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that you've had a bad day - what I can say is that we've all been there with puppies.  Its a bit like having a baby in the house again, sleepless nights etc.  So you're tired but Arthur obviously doesn't let up.  It will get easier, I promise. 
When your grandson visits then you should probably just enforce time out for Arthur, put him in his crate and don't feel guilty about it, better safe than sorry especially at this nipping stage ! 
And remember, it does get better in the end  :luv:

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 05:14:39 PM »
Sorry you are struggling. Yes it is just like having a baby in the house! Pups are a lot of work and spaniels particularly so! Have you tried a towser? In case you haven't these have served me well for a long time and I have yet to meet a dog who doesn't love them. Take 2 or more very old socks. More if they are short - you want distance between hands and teeth! Knot them together and encourage pup/dog to grab hold and have a tug of war. So long as you let them win most will be kept happy with this for hours and tire themselves out. The useful thing is you can play with them with one hand while still having a hand free to work with. As you go from room to room keep hold of towser and the dog follows! Simples!

In all seriousness though I know it is hard work but you are taking the place of Arthur's litter mates. If he was still with them he would spend most of the day running, yapping and nipping them.

Good luck and keep smiling!

Offline kaz60

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »
It all feels too much, I don't feel I'm getting anywhere with him. I know dogs pick up on your moods so that probably doesn't help. The nipping and biting is getting me down and I just don't know where to begin with the training. He will sit on command and will wait until I give the instruction for his food, the off command sometimes works depending if he is in a frenzy or not. I'm just not enjoying him which is sad as I was so looking forward to having him.   :'(

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »
How old is Arthur now? Can you look back and see any improvement at all?

It does seem from your posts like the interaction with your grandson is a real stress for you, so I think the advice about crating him is probably good advice. If you make lots of kongs etc, can you entertain him mainly in crate with some short bursts of attention? How old is your grandson? Can you leave him in a room watching tv for short bursts too, just so Arthur does get some attention? I often have both my children plus Ziggy on my own all weekend if my husband is away and the first few weekends were incredibly hard and I think my children are a bit older than your grandson. But it is definitely easier now than it was.

Offline lescef

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »
We were young when we got our first cocker and I remember wondering what we'd done, it can seem totally overpowering.  Have you thought of getting some advice from a positive behaviourist? One session might just sort things out for you.  Dogs can give so much pleasure and it is a shame you can't enjoy him. X

Offline kaz60

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:54:36 AM »
My grandson is 2, so very excite able, like a puppy! He is nervous of Arthur who is 15 weeks today. I'm going to leave him in the kitchen (Arthur) with the stairgate across the door. I will keep popping in and out to reassure him and I will try to keep introducing him to my grandson in short bursts. If I look back there is an improvement in toilet training, that's easier now but the nipping and biting is horrible. We have also noticed he is scared of the dark. Any ideas to help with this problem.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »
Jinley had one of the battery night lights near her crate when she was a puppy.

Hope it all goes okay today  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: If it all gets too much, put your grandson in his pushchair and take them both on a long walk then relax with a cuppa when you get home.  Hopefully they will both be tired!

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 12:01:08 PM »
Hope that today is going ok. I think its good if you've seen an improvement with toilet training, because it shows things are improving. I guess that the biting probably will get worse before it gets better because he will be teething. Hang in there.

Offline assumpta

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
Im in a similar situation where I have a 2, 3 and a 5 yr old most weekdays and a 9 mth cocker  :o I have a babygate from living room to kitchen so when it all gets too excitable or I have to make lunch etc Cotto has his nice comfy bed in there. He likes to be in with the action so Im always with them when dog AND kids get too hyper, running or jumping. Most days we take ourselves all out pup and all so everyone gets to run off some energy. It is hard work but can be done as Cottos here to stay so they all have to learn to get along. When toys come out hes in the kitchen with a chew but still can see whats going on. My house is detached thank god as the noise is deafening at times >:D Please believe when we all say it gets better as it does, well until the teenager phase kicks in. Hugs to you and you and Arthur

Offline kaz60

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I survived the day, I just had to keep Arthur in the kitchen but I brought him into the living room a couple of times but once he started the nipping I took him out and put him in his bed. My grandson is very nervous of him but I'm hoping in time his confidence will grow with Arthur.

Offline lescef

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 10:29:23 PM »
Glad to hear things went reasonably well. Our grandson will soon be two and is wary of the dogs. I know Arthur is much younger than my youngest, Bramble (2), but if you can try to teach him to lie quietly in his basket. ( Get him to lie down and throw treats every now and again. Good for visitors too!) Then, when your grandson is sitting quietly watching the TV, Arthur can be there as well. Myles had a cold so was not running round as usual and was watching TV and we brought Bramble into her basket for a while. Small steps!

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 10:45:11 PM »
I really feel for you. I've been there, got the t shirt and still have nightmares about that time. I can honestly say it has put me off ever having a puppy again but I am so glad we have Bonnie now.

It is blooming hard and the biting was awful. I did really want to 're home Bonnie and would have done if OH had let me (thank goodness he wouldn't hear of it). I felt so resentful that this pup was stopping me enjoying Evie and was making Evie frightened. Of course it wasn't Bonnie's fault but I really dreaded having the 2 of them together.

It was a long slow process, and I did not bond with Bonnie until a lot later on, which is awful because she has always been my shadow from day one. Poor Bonnie!! BUT she really was worth it all as she is a total sweetheart now  :luv: :luv: Stick with it and very soon this will happen at your house too  :D

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 09:43:23 PM »
Hi I remember that time too. Arvy is nearly 10 months now and a real sweetie so hold on in there. The most valuable lesson I learned is there is always time out for nipping or other attention getting behaviour. Put a puppy house training line on him and as soon as he nips without talking, put him in another room for no more than 2 minutes then let him out. If he does it again put him out again. Also we found Arvy nipped and was more a pain in the a**e when he was tired. They really don't know when to stop and puppies need to sleep a lot so  put him to bed. My routine was something like out to toilet, then play 10-15 mins, then bed, this was about an hourly, hour and half routine at that age.

Good Luck Kate
Kate