Author Topic: Frankie Won't Come Back  (Read 997 times)

Offline taffie

• Site Member
Frankie Won't Come Back
« on: July 04, 2005, 09:15:30 PM »
Hi,

Recently Frankie is refusing to come back when I take him out for a walk.He always stay 20 yards away from me and refuses to come when called even if I have a treat or something.
I give him plenty of praise when he does come to me but this seems to be getting less and less as he gets more confident.
I have just come back from a walk and he has run straight across the road to get home even though I am calling him to come back.
How can I convince him to come back to me?? Frankie is 14 weeks old and it only seems to be only the last to weeks that this has been happening.
Obviously him running across the road is quite worrying..Please help!!!

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Frankie Won't Come Back
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 09:29:01 PM »
Do you put the lead on him as soon as he does come back to you - to him going back means the end of fun, therefore he isn't going listen.
Try calling him, giving a treat and letting him play again, call him back, give treat, let him play, etc.
Put his lead on at different times - after the 4th time, then the 3rd time next time and so on - that way he will not know when its the end of the fun and more likely to come when called.

TBH 14wks is still rather young for good recall but keep at it - do the recall in the garden   until he gets better.
And it would be better to put him on a long lead for walks ( not near traffic of course ) and you can teach him recall and keep him safe.
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline taffie

• Site Member
Frankie Won't Come Back
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 09:38:18 PM »
Do you put the lead on him as soon as he does come back to you - to him going back means the end of fun, therefore he isn't going listen.
Try calling him, giving a treat and letting him play again, call him back, give treat, let him play, etc.
Put his lead on at different times - after the 4th time, then the 3rd time next time and so on - that way he will not know when its the end of the fun and more likely to come when called.

TBH 14wks is still rather young for good recall but keep at it - do the recall in the garden   until he gets better.
And it would be better to put him on a long lead for walks ( not near traffic of course ) and you can teach him recall and keep him safe.
[snapback]135070[/snapback]
I try to call him quite a few times when we're out and only put his lead back on when we are coming off the beach or getting close to home (I live next to a field).He seems to know that I want him to come back as he stops and looks at me then waits for me to get closer then runs off again.

Offline Bob's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Frankie Won't Come Back
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 10:14:57 PM »
Bob went through a phase like this (he is now 16 weeks). He would just stare at me and then go pelting off towards home however much I tried to get him back with treats etc. We have practised loads on the recall and are anticipating when he is about to bolt and touch wood are managing to win at the moment. It seems to happen when he recognises something familiar - the house if we are walking  near home, the car if we have gone out!
[size=8]Jo[/size][/font]xxxx

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Frankie Won't Come Back
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 11:46:21 PM »
Always practice new things in the house or garden before trying it on a walk.

Get down to his level and be really exciting (high voice, arms out as if your ready to play), you want him to think you are the most exciting thing in the world and that he doesn't want to have fun elsewhere. Look playful and when he is right near you hold his collar and praise him, say OK and let him go, OK will eventually mean to him he can go off again. On one occasion without him expecting it put him on the lead, but don't walk him anywhere just hold him, then when he's looking at you, take the lead off and say OK. He'll begin to realise that you don't tell him what's next until you have hold of him.
Try it in the house or garden first then you can find out his reactions without risking him doing a runner :D .
Cayley.

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Frankie Won't Come Back
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 06:28:44 PM »
We found playing Hide and Seek around the house really helped Tilly's recall.  We'd all hide and take turns to call "Tilly, come!" and gave her a treat when she found us and lots of praise.  She quickly associated "Tilly come!" with fun and treats and I am convinced it really helped her recall when out and about.

Also, have you tried running away from him if he won't approach you on the recall?  Few dogs can resist the invitation to chase and it keeps it fun.  Just a thought, might help.  The last thing you want is a battle of wills  ;)  as we all know how stubborn cockers can be when they want to  :rolleyes: .

Good luck, but I would also endorse the long line suggestion if he's running across roads and putting himself in danger.

Sue and Tilly

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Frankie Won't Come Back
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 07:35:35 PM »
then waits for me to get closer then runs off again.

Try running away from him when playing off lead, he will not want to be left behind so will follow you. All puppies think its a great game to be chased...so try not too!!!

Best to practice this well away from traffic just in case.....ours followed us evry time as we shouted their names and ran off....in the opp direction!!

JAney

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Frankie Won't Come Back
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 05:03:42 PM »
I'd reiterate what others have said - call him lots during the walk and when he gets to you get hold of his collar before he gets the treat. Also call him to you just for a game when you're on the walk (take a favourite toy with you). And put him on the lead a couple of times during the walk so he doesn't associate it with the end of the walk.

Bella's coming up for 7 months and I still practise her recall in the garden to just keep on reinforcing it, and call her to me lots and lots of times during the walk and give her a treat (although these days she only gets the treat if she's come first time  ;) ).

When you call a puppy that's out there having an exciting time it's going to think "what's in it for me?", so you either have to be more exciting (I tend to get down on Bella's level and do a silly high-pitched voice) or have food for them to make it worth their while. I always think of it like if my partner keeps calling me all the time to do something boring like helping to put the washing out or something, then I will be more reluctant to respond - if it's because there's a glass of wine or a chocolate on offer I'll be there like a shot!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Jessie

• Site Member
Frankie Won't Come Back
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 05:26:37 PM »
Firstly , thanks for making me feel better!! I do not have the only selectively deaf cocker spaniel.  Jessie cannot be let off the lead as she NEVER comes back.  Even food cannot entice her if there is a rabbit or bird opportunity instead ;)

I have let Mica off lead at an earlier age than I did Jessie - 12 weeks.  She is now 18 weeks and just getting to the confident stage where she does not come back straight away... so I have made the treat more exciting by making it a bit of sausage.  I also avoid putting her back on the lead when I call her qnd call her back often.  Mind you, I think it also helps having Jessie on the walk, as Mica idolises her and does not wander too far from her side!