Author Topic: New Cocker Owner!  (Read 1309 times)

Acorah

New Cocker Owner!
« on: July 05, 2005, 01:04:31 PM »
Hello to you all! I have just got my first ever cocker spaniel pedigree dog and I'm delighted with him. After years of wanting one I finally got him  :)

Any hints and tips on caring for him, training him etc would be very much appreciated!

Offline Jo & Dennis

• Site Member
New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 01:18:44 PM »
Hi & Welcome

Congratulations on you new little fella, whats his name & colour?

I have a solid red little girly called Holly who was born on Christmas day so fairly new to this myself.

The only advice I would offer is to follow your instinct, stick to your guns and read all the threads on puppies here and you will get loads of good tips from that. Also Gwen Bailey's book 'The perfect puppy' is fantastic and if you havent got a copy its well worth the investment.

Good luck and we wish you many happy love & fun filled years with your little lad.
Holly's Mum & Dad

Acorah

New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 01:21:48 PM »
Hes called Acorah (hence the name lol) My name is Liz. Hes black and white, well more black than white, he looks like hes been playing with the paint lol!. We did have a bit of a hoo haa last night about the sleeping arrangements and I must admit we did fold and let him sleep on our bed  :angry:

I have got a 2 year old little boy and a 8 week old little boy so sleepless nights are common im my house!

oh, before I forget, Acorah was names after Derek Acorah and was born on 1st May, 11 days beofre my 2nd son  :D

Offline correna

• Site Member
New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 09:39:25 AM »
wow i think you are really brave having a 8 week old baby and a 9week old puppy.. you must have so much energy..

my second pup is 8weeks and i dont take my eyes off him for a minute so he gets to grips with toileting and house rules... could not imagine having 2 little things so dependant on you....

I am quite surprised the breeder allowed you to have him as most would be reluctant as they know the work and time involved in a puppy... sorry dont mean to put a downer on things.

congratulations on both new arrivals, and keep us posted on progress

Correna, Bailey and Harvey x
Correna & Bailey

Acorah

New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 11:44:46 AM »
I think she was desperate lol! she was goin on hols and needed to get rid of him, sounds awful dont it?

Im glad she did let me have him tho, cos I klove him dearly  :D

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 03:23:02 PM »
I think she was desperate lol! she was goin on hols and needed to get rid of him, sounds awful dont it?

Im glad she did let me have him tho, cos I klove him dearly  :D
[snapback]135309[/snapback]

To be honest - yes it does :(

Caroline and Alfie

Acorah

New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 03:28:55 PM »
Oh well, her loss my gain. Hes such a good pup too, really quick at learning stuff

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 04:54:24 PM »

oh, before I forget, Acorah was names after Derek Acorah and was born on 1st May, 11 days beofre my 2nd son  :D
[snapback]135117[/snapback]

Is that Derek Acorah of Most Haunted fame? I love him!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Gill66

• Site Member
    • http://
New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 05:03:01 PM »

oh, before I forget, Acorah was names after Derek Acorah and was born on 1st May, 11 days beofre my 2nd son  :D
[snapback]135117[/snapback]

Is that Derek Acorah of Most Haunted fame? I love him!
[snapback]135361[/snapback]

I thought it was a sportsman..DOH!!
SHANE.....WHAT A WINNER!!!![/font]

Acorah

New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 05:29:03 PM »
Yes it is and I've met him in person. Going to see him on tour in Oct too  :D

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 10:31:52 PM »
youv`e meet derek acorah i`m soooo jealous,i think he`s fab,take it your into all that stuff,anyway welcome have fun with your new family members .

i had Alfie 6 mths as a pup and started looking after a baby 3 days a week you`ll learn how to multi task more if you think you can`t you can ,and it`ll keep you fit :D
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline PennyB

New Cocker Owner!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 12:51:02 AM »
You'll have to work out a strategy of how to deal with the demon puppy teeth as boy will they bite anything and everybody in sight. Then there's the kevin phase which is very exasperating to say the least (I've just been fostering an adolescent whippet cross who was probably given up because of normal adolescent behaviour---she was very 'mouthy' and would launch at me playfully with her gangly legs and teeth which usually ended up round my head which hurt and could be scary to some, but she didn't have a nasty bone in her body).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!