Author Topic: 10 months and challenging  (Read 2808 times)

Offline scout

10 months and challenging
« on: February 10, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »
Firstly, I've been an avid reader of the forum since getting our working cocker spaniel last July.  You've helped this novice over many a tearful evening with your  experience and sensible words.  We chose the breed as we wanted a dog who loved walking and would be up for a bit of agility or flyball so we weren't expecting an easy ride. My OH and I are both retired but physically fit so have the time and the energy for a lively dog. We've also got a good vet and have gone to a series of classes with an experienced trainer. Bob has always had a couple of difficult 'issues'.  Jumping up and biting clothes and hands (especially on walks), mouthing hands and scavenging have been the main ones.  We managed to reduce them but felt that we would still having to cut short important things like play, training and grooming because he would end up biting or jumping up.  The trainer suggested putting him on a raw food diet to reduce his protein levels (he's now on Natural Instinct which he loves) and trying chemical castration to see if that affected his behaviour.  It did.  It 'took the wind out of his sails', so everything was better and we discovered what a cracking little dog he could be.  We made real progress with training and all was looking good, so we went for the real thing and he was surgically castrated 3 weeks ago at 9 months.  We now have a dog who can be an absolute delight; biddable, affectionate, curious, smart.  He can then turn into the hound from hell!  I dread taking him for walks.  Nearly every one ends with him jumping up and biting, worse than ever.  He even does it if he's off lead.  He's started to eat dog poo and anything else he can get his teeth around and the jumping usually follows him being prevented from eating stuff by being on the lead.  This afternoon, in desperation, I ended up tying him to a tree so he (and I) could calm down.  Is there light at the end of the tunnel?  Does anyone out there recognise these behaviours?  I still have plenty to give this dog but it sure would help if I thought it would all come right in the end.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: 10 months and challenging
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:33:37 PM »
You could be describing my Ben, who is show not worker. But he was a difficult bitey pup, who turned into a challenging bitey, stroppy teenager, but grew into a complete cuddle monster, much to my shock (and delight).  Nearly 12 years ago when he was a pup, I didn't have Col and he was our first dog, I didn't know anyone with a cocker either so had no idea what was normal. But I can remember crying with frustration when every time I said no or tried to stop Ben eating something outside he would just launch at me mouthing and biting. He even used to lie on the floor kicking and screaming like a toddler. I had no idea what to do  ph34r.  we had some very dodgy advice, as at the time 'dominance' theory was the big thing, and we made lots of mistakes which I think have left the few remaining issues Ben has.

Fortunately things have changed for the better and a good behaviourist can help and advise up how to manage the behaviours and what to do, using positive methods.  Ben was a poo eater for years, and partly because I had no clue what to do and partly I was embarrassed as I had no idea how common it was I ignored it, however when we did have some help it stopped in a few weeks and hasn't really been an issue since.

No one was more surprised than me at how Ben turned out, he wasn't knicknamed Alien for nothing, think lots of teeth and drooling while trying to eat you...  :D. It is so worth the effort, to get past this stage, as we ended up with a loving, cuddly dog.  I am sure Bob wil turn out just fine, but do ask for help from someone experienced as you want to start enjoying walks not dreading them. If you say what prof the country you are in someone might recommend a good behaviourist.

Offline dawn

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »
Henry was similar to this. At certain points in our walks he would get over excited and jump up biting, when a youngster.  I had holes in my jackets to prove it. I would try to calm him down by doing sits, stays, downs giving him something else to do. I guess finding a way to do time out.......It sometimes worked! The good news is, he did grow out of it, slowly but surely each week was a little better than the last.

Also when Henry was castrated, he was worse for a while. For a few weeks afterwards their hormones are all over the place, and it takes a while to settle.

So hang on in there! Henry was so bitey I rarely got near him for the first year! He wasn't known as Henry hooligan for nothing. Now he is the cuddliest, cheekiest, funny dog, and compared to other dogs in the village, rather well behaved!b ;)

Offline Vixter

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:24:31 PM »
I'm currently in teenage cocker hell!! My dog does all of the above, but mostly only eats horse poo.  Although gobbles that up like its caviar  :020:
Walks can be hit and miss, sometimes good, sometimes the devil.  As for jumping and biting no glove, hat, sock or scarf is safe in our house. 
Not sure if it's hormones or just teenager strops.  I have a spayed bitch, and she is just the same. :dunno:
I am hoping some back to basics and time will improve things....

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 07:26:22 PM »
Hang in there ! My husband and I were both in our fifties when we got our first dog five years ago ,
We never thought owning a puppy/dog would be so challenging .
Amber reduced me to tears many a time and we actually took her to a behaviourist at 9 months to see if it was us doing it all wrong,Amber was dominant "good with her teeth" & many many more problems you wouldn't believe ,it got so bad-we thought about re-homing her on many occasion .
Anyway cutting a long story short we couldn't part with her and hung in there, she is now a lovely dog and many of her problems when she was a puppy was because she was a puppy and she just outgrew them although at the time it seemed like it lasted for ever !
It will get better !  :D by the way Ambers nickname was crocodile !

Offline scout

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies.  You certainly gave me reasons to be hopeful.  We had a good day yesterday.  Shorter walks with plenty of praise and treats and lots of short bursts of training and rewards in the house.  No jumping up or biting.  THEN ... All was quiet.  Too quiet.  Bob was eating the foam seat cushion on the old armchair he curls up on.  As soon as he was told to leave it, he decided he would rather pull it off the chair and 'kill' it.  At least he didn't eat it and fairly quickly decided that the offer of a bit of cheese to swap for it was worth it.  Notice how often Bob 'decides'?  Sums him up - he understands so many cue words and he responds well a lot of the time.  The rest of the time he seems to deliberately want to go his own way.  Do they all do this?  I think a session or two with a behaviourist who knows the breed would be helpful.  We live in South East Wales.  Any suggestions?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 05:44:20 PM »
Hang on in there.  :bigarmhug:
 Bob the Hun  >:D will morf into Bob the Beautiful  :angel:             
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline archieb

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 09:02:04 PM »
I had to have my cocker castrated early as he had to have various anesthetic for another reason and they didn't want him to have to have another shortly after - he was not got for a few weeks -he pulled constantly on the lead and didn't settle and generally a bit of a pain but I perservered with the training with rewards and the last week he has turned a corner and now I am really starting to enjoy walking him and finding the training rewarding. He still  has his mad moments when he's off the lead and he forgets you exist but generally improving. I had wondered for a while if I had chosen the right type of dog but I am sure that with time it will all be worth it

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »
Welcome to the world of teenage dogs

Bosley (sprocker) is 18 months old and still can be challenging but I use distraction techniques and short training exercises/games out walking

He was a nightmare on one trip when I took him to the beach and would bark at stuff that was different - we saw lots of fisherman carrying large boxes and rods, kids doing stuff he hadn't seen before or wearing wierd things on their heads - so I would use treats to distract him as I tried to pre-empt the loud bark at whatever was weird to him (watched his body language mostly) and would send him off to find treats I'd thrown. Wilf went through the same so I knew what to do. Plus he loves to nick things then would growl at me but no longer does it. He does do this funny stroppy noise when I ask him to get off the sofa - think 'Kevin' wearing brown fur LOL

Its like human teens pushing boundaries
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 09:29:22 PM »
Hi  Arvy was ok after about 6 months apart from getting over excited about seeing people. When we got him castrated at 9 months he went off the rails for about a month, so things might improve for you. He still has his moments though, usually when he's tired or thirsty, eg., howling on his lead today because I stopped walking when he was pulling and my husband walked off ahead. I would recommend a behaviourist, our trainer is one. The best ones won't see your dog until they have been checked over by a vet to make sure the behaviour isn't due to anything physical.  Try the APBC (Association of Pet Behaviour Consultants www.abc.co.uk.  They have some training and behaviour notes. I just found a really interesting one on making walks more interesting which I might try.

Good luck Kate
Kate

Offline Hamad

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 06:06:27 AM »
This board is like a therapy group isn't it?

Bertie's almost the same age and now literally stands up and slaps me with both arms if I dare stop him from doing something he's not supposed to. He doesn't bite or bark at all (two fairly recent issues that are now in the past) but still chews his lead when frustrated, jumps at strangers, throws tantrums, runs like a maniac more often than ever, and urinates indoors whenever excited even though he visits the toilet 7 times a day.

I know all of this is typical adolescent behaviour but I still arranged for a behaviourist to visit as I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to phase out these behaviours, I already have friends and family that do not mind dogs but refuse to visit unless he's crated which I'm not happy with.

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
Hi, Can't help you on the behavior side but can on the poo eating, I'm not too worried about poo eating if it's rabbit, or horse poo, but Bracken when younger used to eat what I think was either fox poo or dog poo, very runny ones and he used to lap it up, but he only did this on one particular walk which was a pain as it is my local walk, I took him off this walk and introduce Digestive enzymes to his food, it's a powder that supposed to put goodness back into the kibble after it is cooked, also helps poo eaters, Bracken had two pots of this then I re introduced him back on the local walk and he's been fine since, so whether the Enzymes worked or he grew out of it I don't know so worth a try, if your dog still eating dog poo! 

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »
I would try to stop horse poo munching...
you don't know if the horse has been medicated. ;)

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 03:27:25 PM »
Hi Marie,

My two also are into eating dog poo on occasion but interested in " Digestive enzymes " and where can you obtain?

David
Dolly & Silkie

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »
I would try to stop horse poo munching...
you don't know if the horse has been medicated. ;)

Agreed. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere about a dog dying after eating poo from a horse that had just been wormed. Hope I'm not making that up?