Cocker Activities > Other Activities

We've got our first agility class on Thursday ! Now 3 lessons in

(1/4) > >>

Ernies mum:
Finally I've managed to find a local agility club for Ernie and I . We've got our first class on Thursday evening which I'm very excited about !
The trainer advised to take something to reward/ motivate Ernie so I'm taking a ball on a rope ... Ernie has a love of balls even over treats  :005:
Just wondering whether I should walk Ernie as usual at teatime ( he has 3 walks a day ) and if I should feed him before or after the class ( he usually has his tea at about 6pm , an hour after his walk )The class is 7.30-8.30pm .

All advice from other peeps that attend agility would be gratefully received .

Ben's mum:
That's exciting hope you both enjoy it  :lol2:
I didn't feed Ben much before agility I wanted his full attention once I got there, and I also didn't like him running round after eating.
I wouldn't walk Ernie the first week until you see how active he is once you get there, Ben used to come home shattered from concentrating, running and getting excited, it was about the only time he was tired after agility so he wouldn't have needed a walk as well

Have a great time

Ernies mum:
Thank you for the tips bens mum .
 Can't wait for the class and I think ernie will love it . The trainer said the classes are very popular with cocker spaniels so she's used to their enthusiasm ... That was a relief  :005:

Max X 2:
I'm sure you'll both love it.

I'd be inclined to feed after the class, but then my dogs are food not toy motivated so get rewarded with treats at training.

It's suprising how tired they get just from the brain work & atmosphere

Look forward to hearing how you get on

Gertie:
good luck and enjoy. We are on our third lesson and enjoying it so far😃. The first one Maisy was mentally exhausted after it big time! I'd feed after if it was me. Our class is a bit earlier than yours but I give Maisy a substantial snack which she doesn't say no to and she has that mid to later afternoon. She still has her 2 walks a day with the second one being a bit shorter than normal just to take some of the edge off her if that is possible!! But also I don,t want her worn out so she is too tired to think and be a polite dog. I'm looking forward to hear how you get on, we can compare notes! We have 6 people in o ur class and being a mid 40 year old, I am the second oldest which I find very refreshing, the agility thing seems to encompass all age groups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version