Author Topic: Running Contacts  (Read 6509 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Running Contacts
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »

Hi,does anyone do running contacts in dog agility with their cocker and any tips on how to train them.Would like to do running   

contacts with Gabby my little working cocker.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Running Contacts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:55:29 AM »
I do, I'm lucky that Max has never missed an A-frame contact - but I can't take the glory for training that - I think it's just his build & speed, a friend laughed last week as apparently he did exactly what he did at his first ever show & almost missed the top half of the A frame coming down to land on the contact  :005: (he's 10 next week & a show cocker)
Are you on facebook?
There's a spaniel agility group on there that'll probably be able to give you ideas to train running contacts
I think another option is to teach 2o2o & then you can build up to a quick release so looks like running contacts

Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
Apologies for hi-jacking the thread  :D
I would be interested in the name of the FB spaniel agility group please Maxine, as I am trying to build up the courage to have a go at a competition with Poppy, and it might help :lol2:
Janet & Poppy

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
My cockers have running contacts.  In my experience it takes longer to teach running and you need to be very precise in what you reward.  Be really clear in your head what your performance criteria are so that there is no grey area...a slightly longer stride soon becomes a little jump (and potentially a missed contact).  Also, for safety reasons, you may wish to consider whether you want to teach a 2o2o for the see-saw.  Whatever you decide...wishing you all the best with Gabby  :D

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:58:36 PM »
I would be interested in the name of the FB spaniel agility group please Maxine, as I am trying to build up the courage to have a go at a competition with Poppy, and it might help :lol2:
Agility & Flyball Cocker Spaniels
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 11:05:34 PM »
Agility & Flyball Cocker Spaniels
Thank you  :D
Janet & Poppy

Offline jla

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 09:22:58 AM »
My WCS has running contacts and my pup will (probably!)

IMHO they are a labour of love and you need to absolutely 100% committed to the whole end to end process and keeping them up long term as they are not as black and white as stopped.  Not sure if this is your first agility dog but if it is I am not sure I would go with running - they are harder to teach and you have to be able to handle completely differently.  I wasn't brave enough with my first dog and now I am glad I have more experience.

There are loads of methods - Sylvia Trkman, Daisy Peel, Daisy Quick, Dawn Weaver or just come up with your own.  If you are serious about it then I would really say to research all the different options and pick the one that suits your dog and you.

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »

Thanks, no she is not my first agility dog, my other WCS, Benson does 2o2o,and can do quick release with him but wanted to do running contacts with gabby.Shes a bit mental so left to her own devices I am sure she will start flying the contacts. :005:

Very early days yet but so far I have just been putting her toy about four foot off the end of the dog walk and she flys across and does a perfect run right across the contact and off the end,but thinking that might change when I start running courses with her and her rewards come further down the line.

Offline jla

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »
It's also when you start introducing traps (tunnel close to contact), tight turns, weaves etc which cause them to change their stride that you might start to encounter a less definite hit.  Either on or off the equipment.

Also, be prepared to have contact decisions go against you.  I can say that we get marked occassionally for a miss when I know she has run through ok, they are very difficult to judge and unless you have a perfect hit rate it can be difficult to tell.