Cocker Activities > Other Activities

Running Contacts

(1/2) > >>

MUDDYBOOTS:

Hi,does anyone do running contacts in dog agility with their cocker and any tips on how to train them.Would like to do running   

contacts with Gabby my little working cocker.

Max X 2:
I do, I'm lucky that Max has never missed an A-frame contact - but I can't take the glory for training that - I think it's just his build & speed, a friend laughed last week as apparently he did exactly what he did at his first ever show & almost missed the top half of the A frame coming down to land on the contact  :005: (he's 10 next week & a show cocker)
Are you on facebook?
There's a spaniel agility group on there that'll probably be able to give you ideas to train running contacts
I think another option is to teach 2o2o & then you can build up to a quick release so looks like running contacts

Pop-Star:
Apologies for hi-jacking the thread  :D
I would be interested in the name of the FB spaniel agility group please Maxine, as I am trying to build up the courage to have a go at a competition with Poppy, and it might help :lol2:

sportsmonki:
My cockers have running contacts.  In my experience it takes longer to teach running and you need to be very precise in what you reward.  Be really clear in your head what your performance criteria are so that there is no grey area...a slightly longer stride soon becomes a little jump (and potentially a missed contact).  Also, for safety reasons, you may wish to consider whether you want to teach a 2o2o for the see-saw.  Whatever you decide...wishing you all the best with Gabby  :D

Max X 2:

--- Quote from: Pop-Star on May 27, 2015, 11:36:48 AM ---Apologies for hi-jacking the thread  :D
I would be interested in the name of the FB spaniel agility group please Maxine, as I am trying to build up the courage to have a go at a competition with Poppy, and it might help :lol2:

--- End quote ---
Agility & Flyball Cocker Spaniels

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version