Cocker Activities > Other Activities

Running Contacts

<< < (2/2)

Pop-Star:

--- Quote from: Max X 2 on May 27, 2015, 10:58:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: Pop-Star on May 27, 2015, 11:36:48 AM ---Apologies for hi-jacking the thread  :D
I would be interested in the name of the FB spaniel agility group please Maxine, as I am trying to build up the courage to have a go at a competition with Poppy, and it might help :lol2:

--- End quote ---
Agility & Flyball Cocker Spaniels

--- End quote ---
Thank you  :D

jla:
My WCS has running contacts and my pup will (probably!)

IMHO they are a labour of love and you need to absolutely 100% committed to the whole end to end process and keeping them up long term as they are not as black and white as stopped.  Not sure if this is your first agility dog but if it is I am not sure I would go with running - they are harder to teach and you have to be able to handle completely differently.  I wasn't brave enough with my first dog and now I am glad I have more experience.

There are loads of methods - Sylvia Trkman, Daisy Peel, Daisy Quick, Dawn Weaver or just come up with your own.  If you are serious about it then I would really say to research all the different options and pick the one that suits your dog and you.

MUDDYBOOTS:

Thanks, no she is not my first agility dog, my other WCS, Benson does 2o2o,and can do quick release with him but wanted to do running contacts with gabby.Shes a bit mental so left to her own devices I am sure she will start flying the contacts. :005:

Very early days yet but so far I have just been putting her toy about four foot off the end of the dog walk and she flys across and does a perfect run right across the contact and off the end,but thinking that might change when I start running courses with her and her rewards come further down the line.

jla:
It's also when you start introducing traps (tunnel close to contact), tight turns, weaves etc which cause them to change their stride that you might start to encounter a less definite hit.  Either on or off the equipment.

Also, be prepared to have contact decisions go against you.  I can say that we get marked occassionally for a miss when I know she has run through ok, they are very difficult to judge and unless you have a perfect hit rate it can be difficult to tell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version