Author Topic: 16 week old pup - what bladder control at this age?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Hazel Kirk

16 week old pup - what bladder control at this age?
« on: June 15, 2015, 11:49:30 AM »
Hi everyone.  I'm a bit concerned re our nearly 16 week old female pup.  She still pees every 15/20 minutes and is making toilet training stressful!  Is peeing this frequently normal at this age due to small bladder\little bladder control and if so, at what age roughly, should this start to improve?  I've kind of given up on trying to toilet train her as I've convinced myself everything is a waste of time until her bladder control improves.
Thanks v much. :angel:

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: 16 week old pup - what bladder control at this age?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
Welcome to Col,

I really can't remember how often my girl was going at that age but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

I know it can be frustrating with toilet training but it's best not to give up, this could result in your girl taking longer to be clean in the house, I do remember that I was still house training Bea at this age.

What method are you using to train her ?

Sharon.

Offline Hazel Kirk

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Sharon. 
We give Daisy a "cue word" (busy busy) to do her business outside and she is really good - she knows what's being asked of her.  We let her out every hour during the day and she always pees/poos when she's out.  However, she is also peeing indoors too.  It's simply not realistic to let your dog out every 15/20 mins during the day, I'm sure you'll agree!
We tried the training pads for about 3 weeks but they were very hit and miss.  She doesn't favour a particular spot to pee on and doesn't circle or sniff before doing it so we have no prior warning.
We still say "busy busy" when she's out and praise her after but with regards indoors, we aren't really doing anything - just mopping up lots of pee!  She doesn't poo in the house but that's simply because she's out hourly and we try and second guess when she'll need one and let her out and nearly always get that bit right!
Cheers.
Hazel

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
15-20 minutes does seem very frequent, sorry.  Coral was a bit hit and miss on house training until 18 weeks when it all seemed to fall into place unless it's raining and there's a cat indoors to get over excited about  ph34r.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
That does sound very frequent. I would be inclined to take a sample to the vets just to rule out a urine infection. My boy Archie had this when he was a tiny pup and it caused all sorts of toilet training issues. A short course of antibiotics soon sorted him out.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »
Hi Hazel,

Does seem rather frequent. I think a check up with the vet is called for

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 04:26:38 PM »
I had the pup from hell  >:D  Archie, who is now 22 months old was weeing indoors 20+ times a day.  I used to take him outside 4/5 times an hour so you can imagine how many hours a day this was....  He'd occasionally perform outside but more often than not, come back inside (after having been out with me for 5/10 mins each time) and wee inside.  I had him checked out and nothing was amiss.  He used to do number 2's inside as well (sorry  :shades:) - same scenario as the wees.  If I didn't work from home, I don't know how I would have handled it, although he may have clicked easier and earlier. 

It took till he was 13/14 months old to become more reliable, and even now I can't let him roam free downstairs if I'm in as he's been known to do the odd wee/poo inside without asking to go out.  (BTW, I still take him outside at least every hour, even at his age).  It has been an incredibly frustrating and time consuming 18 months, I can tell you but the key is consistency and taking them outside regularly, using the key word and treat/praise lots afterwards.

Ironically, I can leave him alone for up to 4 hours and come back to no inside accidents - go figure  :huh: :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Hazel Kirk

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  Daisy is at the vet this Wed anyway for flea/worming treatment so I'll ask then if she can get checked out.

Would love to post a pic of the Mischievous Miss Daisy but don't know how to  :embarassed:

Hazel   

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  Daisy is at the vet this Wed anyway for flea/worming treatment so I'll ask then if she can get checked out.

Would love to post a pic of the Mischievous Miss Daisy but don't know how to  :embarassed:

Hazel

Have a look on the photo forum, at the top of the page is a sticky telling you what you need to do to get a piccy on. basically you have to enrol in something like Photobucket, upload your pictures on to there and then copy the link/s to a new topic on COL (photos/puppies/start new topic. Your best bet is to have Photobucket & COL tabs open at the same time, making it easier to copy and paste.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 11:11:43 PM »

Might be worth taking a pee sample with you if you can as they can't always work out what's going on unless they can physically test what's coming out ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!