Author Topic: 14 week cocker  (Read 4755 times)

Offline dmcgaffin23

14 week cocker
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:32:23 PM »
Hi I'm lookin for some advice I have a 14 week old cocker spaniel and was wondering How many grams of food I should be feeding per day and should I start introducing chicken and fish into his diet any help would be greatly appreciate

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: 14 week cocker
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 06:29:04 PM »
I think we need a bit more information about your puppy. Have you just got him or have you had him since 8 weeks old? Did his breeder not give you a feeding schedule? What brand food are you using?

If you want to feed a complete food (kibble) get the best you can and avoid cheap, highly coloured versions (these tend to be the heavily advertised, supermarket stocked ones) Good advice is to be found at an independent pet shop, not big ones who will push their own products which may not be best for your pup.

All kibbles have a suggested feeding schedule on the bag to give you a rough idea of how much and how often to feed.

We use Arden Grange but other people will be able to suggest other, equally good brands. As for chicken, our boys came from their breeder already used to eating raw chicken wings so 14 weeks isn't too early at all. We feed kibble for breakfast and raw for supper. Again pet shops will have a selection of raw, frozen foods in their freezers.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline dmcgaffin23

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:34:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice we got him at 8 weeks but the breeder didn't give us a feeding schedule we have been giving him pro plan and royal cannon 200g a day but that's him just been allowed out so was think I would have to up his food

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice we got him at 8 weeks but the breeder didn't give us a feeding schedule we have been giving him pro plan and royal cannon 200g a day but that's him just been allowed out so was think I would have to up his food

Not sure which Royal Canin he is on but have given you the link to feeding guide for Medium Junior pups, if it is not what you require, I expect a bit more searching round the site will find the answers you need.

http://about.royalcanin.co.uk/catalogue/medium/medium-junior23653/#demoTab2

You could do the same with proplan to find out their recommendations
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline dmcgaffin23

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »
Thanks al give that a wee look

Offline feelreid

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:21:54 PM »
Hey, I have 2 cocker pups 15 weeks today, we are feeding them royal canin junior.  I have a girl and a boy, the girl is getting 210g a day and the boy is getting slightly more at 240 a  day as he is slightly bigger than her, both pups are gaining weight appropriately and are very active 🐶🐶

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Offline dmcgaffin23

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:22:03 PM »
Hey, I have 2 cocker pups 15 weeks today, we are feeding them royal canin junior.  I have a girl and a boy, the girl is getting 210g a day and the boy is getting slightly more at 240 a  day as he is slightly bigger than her, both pups are gaining weight appropriately and are very active 🐶🐶

Thanks for the advice How many time are u feeding them a day as I was thinking of dropping him down to 3 a day

Offline feelreid

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 07:40:53 PM »
I've actually just started doing 3 as the kids are back at school this week so mid morning feed just can't happen,  I do 80g at 6.30am, same at 2.30 pm and a 50g supper at 7pm.  Seems to work for them, will gradually increase the first 2 and decrease the last at the right time while moving the second one further back, am aiming to settle on 2 feeds at 6.30am and 6.30pm when their grown, hope this helps! ☺

Offline feelreid

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 07:42:41 PM »
Oh I give my boy, Simba  10g more at each feed, those weights are for the girl, Lolly, he's 8kg at the minute and she's 6.5kg approx.

Offline dmcgaffin23

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 12:01:51 AM »
Oh I give my boy, Simba  10g more at each feed, those weights are for the girl, Lolly, he's 8kg at the minute and she's 6.5kg approx.

Thanks that's a great help. one other question have u introduced any chicken or fish into there diet yet

Offline feelreid

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 06:05:45 AM »
Just chicken so far, we're treat training and the trainer says chicken, ham etc are better treats than dog treats as it gives then the wow factor, not tried fish

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 09:09:13 AM »
You could try small cocktail sausages, cut into small pieces, if he can cope with ham they should be ok too. I buy them, cut them up, then put quite a few into individual bags/pots and freeze them. I expect you could free-flow freeze too and just take out as many as you require at a time.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline blackpug

14 week cocker
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:54:46 PM »
Our 15 week old bitch Willow is on 200grams of JWB dry food with a little bit wainwright's tin puppy food per day. She was weighed today at 5.9 kg. We have given her small pieces of chicken but she will eat anything so we have to watch her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black 'Angel' and Sable 'Willow'.

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »
Jeez. Bonkers Bonnie is almost 15 weeks and was 8kg a few weeks ago when she got her last jab. Dread to think what she is now. Went to the KC Agility in Edinburgh with her today for a look and she's a horse compared to the other WC her age or older that we met there.

I feed her Natural Instincts (raw) and have done since I brought her home from the breeder. She loves age appropriate bones to chew on too. She's been on three feeds a day since she came home too.