Author Topic: 5th November  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Anne16

5th November
« on: October 22, 2015, 01:58:15 PM »
Hi there,

As the new owner of Sooty who will be just 5 months old on 31st October, have any members any good tips/suggestions for trying to keep him relatively calm for Bon Fire Night?  Many thanks in advance

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: 5th November
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 02:36:55 PM »
As this will be his first fireworks, it is a good idea to make sure it is a positive experience!

He may not be at all bothered anyway.  My dog Coco has never bothered about fireworks or guns etc - in fact she just runs to the window to watch them  :005:

Generally though, if he is anxious, try not to make too much fuss of him and reinforce his worry.  Close the curtains, put on the telly and give him something to chew etc like a Kong or a puzzle toy.

Have a look at this from Mark (TopBarks on here) which gives you a good demonstration of how to desensitise dogs to the bangs!  Idea is that they come to associate the noise with something good rather than being scary  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwILjU9zPio

You may be lucky though and find he is completely fine with them  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »
Hello Anne

Dexter is just a little bit older than Sooty and what we have done is download a track of firework sounds off the internet and have been playing it when he is in the room and over a period of a few weeks we have increased the volume so now it is playing quite loud and he is not at all bothered. Remember start quiet and build it up.

You may be lucky like Joules has said and have a dog that is not bothered, but I would not leave it to chance.

Offline Anne16

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
Thank you so much for your kindness in responding.  I have just played the video on my laptop, and Sooty tried to get inside to see who was saying 'good boy' to him!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:14:25 PM »
Bea was 5 months old on her first Bonfire Night, we closed the curtains and did not react to the noise, Pup's tend to look at the Humans to react first and then react to that.

My girls breader got all the pup's used to load noises before they came home, I remember going to visit her and the radio was very load and all the pup's where acting as normal.

Of course it could just be the work her Breader did with the Pup's, but Bea might give one bark and then go off to sleep!

Good luck.