Author Topic: Sooty  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Anne16

Sooty
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:31:24 PM »
Very new to both this forum and as an owner (or one third as he also 'owned' by my husband and step-daughter) of a 4 month old black cocker spaniel.  We have had him just one month.  Totally new to both cockers and puppies and finding it all a bit strange.  We have had Labs in the past - our Sooty appears to be the polar opposite!  He is getting much better at everything, except the dreaded lead and collar/harness.  Yesterday afternoon on our walk he did a huge somersault in the air and managed to extricate himself from the harness!  Any advice/suggestions/tips would be most gratefully received by this Newbie.  Many thanks in advance.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Sooty
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
Welcome to COL, I think you will have to persevere with the harness, although I would check it as they should not be able to escape from it. Cockers I have discovered after getting my first one this year, are very headstrong but very trainable and eager to learn new things to please there owners. Do read some of the threads on this forum which is a goldmine of information and has been a huge help to me. They are also a very nice bunch on here.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »
Welcome to COL, it does sound like the harness was a bit too loose! Good luck with lead training, one of the hardest things with cookers to train!!
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 12:07:09 AM »
Welcome to COL and it seems that Sooty's chosen his own "pet" name…Houdini  :005:

Harnesses are ideal for puppies as they allow for them to be extricated from those inaccessible places that Cockers love getting themselves into without too much strain being placed on their necks as may happen with a collar by itself. It should be nigh on impossible for a cocker to get out of a properly adjusted harness but make sure that it's not too tight. The strap that goes around the body behind the legs should be a snug fit but you should still be able to get a finger or two between the strap and Sooty's body.
4 month old Cockers can fill out quite quickly so I'd advise checking the harness fit and adjusting if necessary on a weekly basis.

With the main lead attached to the harness it's easy to clip a short link lead between the harness and his collar which will give additional security should he wish to practice his Houdini act again  ;)

Best of luck with Sooty's lead training. It can take a while but I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

Bob.

Offline Anne16

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »
Many, many thanks to you all for taking the time and trouble to respond.  All of your comments/advice are most welcome.  However, have discovered another 'problem' this morning - caught him eating his own poo - how can I stop him doing this please? 

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 05:54:31 PM »
Many, many thanks to you all for taking the time and trouble to respond.  All of your comments/advice are most welcome.  However, have discovered another 'problem' this morning - caught him eating his own poo - how can I stop him doing this please?

:011: :011: :011:
My Millie is still doing that at 14! But only at night when I can't get to the garden fast enough!  :005:
At one point I tried moistening her kibble with pineapple juice...

I'm sure somoene will be along shortly with suggestions.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 06:53:52 PM »
Hi to you and Sooty,
Another poop muncher here  :020: (aged 4)
Looking forward to his stories on the Norties page ( think he is going to need a complete thread of his own )  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----