Author Topic: Puppy diarrhoea  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Tallyanne

Puppy diarrhoea
« on: October 31, 2015, 05:51:09 PM »
My pup is eleven weeks old and has had diarrhoea for the last five days ,she is running around and  full of energy she is still eating.i dnt know what to do for her can anyone help please

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Puppy diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »
Is the puppy one of the litter you bred in August, or is she a puppy that has come to you from elsewhere? The reason for the question is that puppies are prone to stomach upsets when they leave their breeder and go to a new home. It's a time of huge stress for them and it's all too easy for them to be a bit under the weather.

I notice that your post back in August was about the bitch that had just given birth having diarrhoea. Did you take her to the vet as advised? Is there any chance that the pup's diarrhoea could be linked to the problems that the bitch had?

Changing food, eating plants out in the garden and scavenging rubbish or eating toys are also possible causes, as can reactions to vaccinations. But even though your puppy seems well in herself I'd take her to the vet sooner rather than later because she's so young and vulnerable at 11 weeks. Young puppies can easily become dehydrated.

I'd also restrict her food to simple and bland things like scrambled egg (don't add milk), or cooked skinless chicken and rice until you take her to the vet and I'd make sure she kept hydrated.

Hope she's OK soon, and please update us about her :D

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Puppy diarrhoea
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
Elaine is spot on with the advice she has given. We had a problem when we wormed Dexter last time as it upset him and we had loose poo's for a few days. We fed him a very plain diet of white fish and rice which helped and we had a vet check who gave him antibiotics and a probiotic for the gut. When they are so young you cannot take chances as they can go down hill very quickly. I hope all is well.