Author Topic: Resource Guarding  (Read 8321 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Resource Guarding
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 02:11:43 AM »
Its not unusual for some pups to do same over a bone even if you're walking 3 feet away - stop giving him a bone if this is an issue - he doesn't need one and he has time later in life to learn more self control with really high value items by learning to give up other things for starters - he has plenty of time (at least another 18 months-2 years before he matures) to grow in to a well rounded pup (oh yes I have had my hands been bitten to shreds putting one cocker pup's harness on before now or saving him from killing himself by swallowing things he shouldn't that he refused to give up no matter how high value the treat at the time - for him it was training that eventually worked as with other things it was very much about teaching them self control (which yours doesn't seem to have from what you say as he's learning he can try to get away with things by using his mouth). Some cockers are more strong willed than others which makes for bad behaviour some times

Why not try clicker training to try and focus him more and learn how to shape his behaviour. Often we tend to react to things when they happen when we should really be training them in a more proactive way - these things will never be learnt using a vibration collar
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 09:08:15 AM »
Well, to be honest, you seem very enamoured with the collar and unwilling to listen to any other view  :o  You obviously think you know best inspite of every single person on this thread thinking that the collar is a bad idea  :shades:

Using this sort of method on such a young pup is setting up problems for the future as it will only teach him to supress his warning behaviour.  It is a dangerous game you are playing and it is your pup that will pay the ultimate price if your methods cease to work  :'(

Why don't you get a good behaviourist who uses only positive methods to help :dunno:
Julie and Watson

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
it's been suggested more than once Joules  ;)

Hoover - I'm not sure why you are seeking advice and approval on aversives when we, as a forum, openly discourage and would never condone the use of them.

Whatever we suggest is dismissed so I'm not sure what you're seeking from us?

Do you WANT us to say he has rage???
helen & jarvis x

Offline rubybella

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2015, 08:17:56 AM »
I just wondered if you had told your trainer at puppy classes that you are using a collar ? If it is a decent trainer they will be horrified you are using it on a puppy!

If your puppy has a problem, whether it be rage or some other neurological issue, you do realise that the collar will do nothing to solve it in the long run don't you?

At such a young age, unless your puppy has a neurological problem which is making it behave like you describe, then it is purely a behavioural issue. Something that at 18 weeks can easily be ironed out by changing situations and the way you respond so it doesn't happen.

I do wonder if you are actually scared of your puppy ? If you are nervous of what you puppy will do next, these vibes are feeding into your puppy and making it feel unsure of itself.

Have you had you puppy checked by a vet for any pain issues - when you are patting it, picking it up, putting collar on ? Maybe a certain place you touch is causing pain ?

As others have said, resource guarding is not uncommon, it seems to be quite prevalent amongst spaniels. When I gave my lab a bone as a puppy she would have had my hand off if I tried to get it, so I stopped allowing her to have anything which was of high value as a puppy. I also worked on giving and taking toys off both my dogs from puppies and I still do now. I take the toy, praise them and give it back. As puppies I took the toy, praise and reward with a treat and give the toy back. When they realised this happened they would frequently sit with toy hanging out of mouth waiting for it to be taken so they could have a treat. If the bone is so precious don't allow him to have it, it's a simple answer!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »
I just wondered if you had told your trainer at puppy classes that you are using a collar ? If it is a decent trainer they will be horrified you are using it on a puppy!

You know I wondered that myself, if you have a puppy that at young age you feel needs something like this, at least the trainer should know if you have not already told her/him, for the safety of all the pups and their owners in her/his class, including yourselves.

I sadly feel though that any advice and help is falling on deaf ears.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.