Author Topic: 10/11 month old Cocker biting - HELP!!!!!!!!  (Read 3083 times)

Offline loopy1305

10/11 month old Cocker biting - HELP!!!!!!!!
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
Our beautiful girl has always mouthed, I have tried EVERYTHING ever recommended.  She did calm down but still mouthed to play which we accepted.  The last few days she has been awful !!! Constantly biting and chewing EVERYTHING in sight. She gets time out in her crate. She has also been like a crazed monster on the lead, jumping, pulling, barking, biting. :embarassed: Her exercise hasn't changed  and she gets plenty.  She loves other dogs but even snapped (playfully) at one last night.  Any help or reassurance would be greatly appreciated.  We give her so much time, love and discipline but still feel like we are failing  :'(
Lou :D

Offline daw

Re: 10/11 month old Cocker biting - HELP!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:37:40 AM »
Hi

It's just a phase- she could be teething - or is she coming into season? this is a very young animal who is going through everything that humans go through in 15 years in less than a year! Imagine her world. Don't blame her, try to be calm with her, reward good behaviour with the 'praise voice' and attention- and ignore the bad by turning away, not making eye-contact, not speaking. When she comes to you nicely, contact can resume. Some people succeed with clicker training, others just with consistent handling. Can I just say it's a false belief that you 'discipline' a dog. You actually condition a dog to get a positive reward by being good. Punishment is for teenagers- take the phone away and they'll think twice about staying out all night. Dogs aren't like that and you'll enjoy the upfront, full-on behaviour of a dog (I live in the moment!) more if you don't think of them as the same.   

If chewing and mouthing is a big problem make sure she's got toys, chews and cardboard boxes to destroy. If she's just hyper introduce a new routine- say training in the house and garden to fetch, find, sit, stay, anything- they like to learn ans she needs brain work. There's someone on this forum who has a sort of garden dog activity video which might help. 

Finally though others may disagree, I hate crates used as anything more than safety measures for travel or when a dog has to have enforced rest. I work for a rescue and have seen bad mental damage to dogs from this sort of restraint. And even people who insist on crates would probably disapprove of using them as a negative feedback for unwanted behaviour. Accentuate the positive, as they say! good luck.  ;)

Offline loopy1305

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »
Yes I have thought that and we didn't use a crate for our previous dog.  Sandy however gets over tired and she see's it as her space and usually just lies down or goes to sleep.  When she wakes she taps to come out or if it's to help her calm down she is let out as soon as she is calm. I have tried leaving her in the kitchen for time out but she goes nuts and scratches, barks and generally gets very stressed out.  She hates being away from me if I'm around so when she's in the crate I stay in the room but not in view for her.  The crate is really not the issue.  I find that it's the only way to stop her, if I walk away and ignore her she just follows and could jump and bite for 10 minutes or more.
She has sooooo many toys, chews and boxes.  If I play with her with a long toy she still tries to get my hand.  I do training with her but as soon as the treat has gone and praise comes she wants to bite again.  It's almost like she thinks play biting is her giving us affection.  I have noticed that on occasion when she jumps up and bites our clothes she is literally wanting us to go down to her and get some attention which of course is great.  It's just hard for her to receive any fuss without wanting to bite us, she rolls over, we rub her belly and within seconds she bending to mouth us. She licks us and bites our mouths at the same time. 
I'm praying it's a phase  :'(

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
Henry is 9 months old. Some days he is exactly as you describe. Some days he is chilled and relaxed. This unpredictability only started in the last few weeks, so I'm assuming it's adolescence. With the bad days, you've just got to get through to bedtime! I agree with everything daw said. Although I find it difficult sometimes, I ignore the bad behaviour. Rather than giving a time out to the dog, I walk away. I'll make sure he's somewhere safe then remove myself for five minutes. That way we both calm down!

If he's chewing something he shouldn't (which he is suddenly doing a lot of again) I distract, give him something else to chew, instigate a five minute training session or a game. I do say no, and ah-ah, which he knows means stop. As soon as he stops chewing and looks at me (even with his mouth still around whatever he's got!) I offer him an alternative behaviour.

He still play bites in certain circumstances. Belly rubs are impossible, as is sitting on the sofa for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, it's EXHAUSTING, and there are days when I'm just watching the clock until he goes to bed (luckily for me he goes at 8:30 so I have my evening in peace). But other people here assure me it will all be worth it. Eventually.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline loopy1305

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:14:49 PM »
Thanks both.....Well I'm thinking that the reassurance is going to get us through it as I'm persevering with the distraction and rewarding.  She has a great character and is my shadow........she's my baby  :luv:

Henry is 9 months old. Some days he is exactly as you describe. Some days he is chilled and relaxed. This unpredictability only started in the last few weeks, so I'm assuming it's adolescence. With the bad days, you've just got to get through to bedtime! I agree with everything daw said. Although I find it difficult sometimes, I ignore the bad behaviour. Rather than giving a time out to the dog, I walk away. I'll make sure he's somewhere safe then remove myself for five minutes. That way we both calm down!

If he's chewing something he shouldn't (which he is suddenly doing a lot of again) I distract, give him something else to chew, instigate a five minute training session or a game. I do say no, and ah-ah, which he knows means stop. As soon as he stops chewing and looks at me (even with his mouth still around whatever he's got!) I offer him an alternative behaviour.

He still play bites in certain circumstances. Belly rubs are impossible, as is sitting on the sofa for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, it's EXHAUSTING, and there are days when I'm just watching the clock until he goes to bed (luckily for me he goes at 8:30 so I have my evening in peace). But other people here assure me it will all be worth it. Eventually.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »
That's the great thing about this forum - reassurance to get through the difficult stages!

One of the simplest solutions to mouthing and biting when cuddling that we have found is to make it a rule he has to have a toy in his mouth if he wants a cuddle. Surprisingly effective!

Reading your second post, I wonder if she has a bit of a separation anxiety issue? They DO love to follow us everywhere, but does she get very anxious when you're out of sight? And might that anxiety be feeding into other over-excited behaviours when she is with you?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline loopy1305

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 01:26:38 PM »
That is a very good point!!! Never considered it, she never leaves my side when I'm in. If she's lying down I only have to move and she's up.  I even have to get my husband to take her to the vets alone as she's protective and anxious when I'm there.  Oh dear now to deal with the anxiety issue !!?? Vets mentioned an anxiety collar ?

That's the great thing about this forum - reassurance to get through the difficult stages!

One of the simplest solutions to mouthing and biting when cuddling that we have found is to make it a rule he has to have a toy in his mouth if he wants a cuddle. Surprisingly effective!

Reading your second post, I wonder if she has a bit of a separation anxiety issue? They DO love to follow us everywhere, but does she get very anxious when you're out of sight? And might that anxiety be feeding into other over-excited behaviours when she is with you?

Offline lescef

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »
Hi. I did wonder if she was coming into season, plus she is an adolescent. I would agree with the suggestions. Stay calm, in fact I whisper rather than speak to mine and find that helps.
Maddie was a mouther and still does sometimes even at five years old. I found putting her in her crate didn't work, she'd just come out and do it again. Think we persevered with 'ah ah'. Have you done any impulse training? That really help them to gain more control themselves. Google 'It's yer choice' .
They do suggest having treats on you all the time and if the dog is doing something you like then give a treat, whilst ignoring all bad behaviour.
Relax on a mat is also a good way of calming them, again Google it!
She does sound like she has a bit of anxiety separation. Bramble doesn't like to be away from me in the house, but is ok when I go out. We did have to wean her off me by putting her in her crate to rest whilst I was elsewhere in the house a couple of times a day.
Hope this helps!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline loopy1305

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 02:51:28 PM »
HI....She has been neutered.  Impulse training?  Will take a look  :blink:  Thank you !! :D

Hi. I did wonder if she was coming into season, plus she is an adolescent. I would agree with the suggestions. Stay calm, in fact I whisper rather than speak to mine and find that helps.
Maddie was a mouther and still does sometimes even at five years old. I found putting her in her crate didn't work, she'd just come out and do it again. Think we persevered with 'ah ah'. Have you done any impulse training? That really help them to gain more control themselves. Google 'It's yer choice' .
They do suggest having treats on you all the time and if the dog is doing something you like then give a treat, whilst ignoring all bad behaviour.
Relax on a mat is also a good way of calming them, again Google it!
She does sound like she has a bit of anxiety separation. Bramble doesn't like to be away from me in the house, but is ok when I go out. We did have to wean her off me by putting her in her crate to rest whilst I was elsewhere in the house a couple of times a day.
Hope this helps!