Author Topic: Normal amount of poo?  (Read 788 times)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Normal amount of poo?
« on: May 24, 2016, 06:26:19 AM »
Hi, I just want to check this is normal as worried his food may not be suitable for him. Reese is now 4 month old, he has just gone to 3 meals a day and has been fed on orijen puppy and luna and me raw for around 6 weeks now. I am sure i am not over feeding, he seems to be doing very well on the food, soft shiny coat, full of energy, good weight and firm poo's, however he is pooing about 7 times a day...I don't think I am putting that much food in! I think I would expect this if he was fed on food with fillers but he isn't,  so not sure if he is digesting it well or if this is just normal for a puppy? What do others think?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Normal amount of poo?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:59 AM »
When I was reading up on raw feeding, all the info said the poohs would be much less, however I find that Humphrey's do vary, depending on what he's had and b) what he's doing. If he's madly excited and playing, he tends to get a bit runny (he always seems to need to go at training classes, regardless of whether he's been before or not). Is it a raw mix which Reese has? (I don't know any of the branded  mixes as I don't live in GB, someone else may have some advice on that ) Does he eat other stuff apart from what he's supposed to have ?  ;). - Humphrey's always pinching paper and cardboard etc, which also produces mounds!!  Also,raw carrots etc, which although they are good and better than biscuits for chewing on, won't be absorbed like the minced or cooked vegetables, so if he's getting anything like that, it would also make him produce more. If the poohs are firm, he's gaining weight and appears healthy, which you say he is, I don't think I'd be overly  concerned but keep an eye on weight over the next few weeks.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:26:06 AM »
Yes he does  >:D He will chew cardboard and paper, loves to pull up the lawn eat the grass and the mud or anything else as he runs past if he gets chance.  >:D. I do give him a couple of chunks of frozen carrot or apple  and a couple of feelwell treats and a bedtime biscuit a day but did reduce the orijen slightly because of this and he does his training with the orijen as a treat mainly only using a high grade treat such as a small piece of chicken at training class or when he could be distracted. I hadn't really thought about all this too. He does look very well and vet and trainer say he is in lovely condition. I think I was more worried because all my research pointed at raw and orijen producing less poo.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
Sounds like he's getting a perfect diet and so long your vet's happy, I wouldn't worry too much. :D

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »
Bramble does lots of poos a day,  five is not uncommon for her. I hoped it would reduce when we went raw, but no, they're just slightly smaller and firmer.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble