Author Topic: Hell!  (Read 2967 times)

Offline WPB

Hell!
« on: June 05, 2016, 08:32:27 PM »
I am a new cocker owner and first time dog owner. Both my husband and I are recently retired so around most of the time. We have had the puppy a week. He is a show cocker and now 9 weeks old. He has a crate which he is using at night and I get up to let him out twice every night. I am sleeping near him. We have a pen in the kitchen but every time he goes in there so I can get on with stuff he goes berserk- he whines, howls and barks non stop and wees even though he was taken out before going in there. I know to leave him so he is not being rewarded for creating a fuss and to wait til he is quiet for 10 seconds- the problem is that he never quiet. It's getting me down a bit to be honest. He has been pretty good in his crate but again when I put him in there today he peed and pood even though he had been out not long before. Any ideas or reassurance?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Hell!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 08:48:51 PM »
Hello to you and " mystery" pup. Also welcome to the brave new world of the many.
Its hard for all new mums and dads, and can be a shocker.
 Your little lad is a teeny tot, his world has just changed in the blink of an eye. He needs time to adjust as you do.  The main thing is (as you will find out by the new puppy owners who will be along shortly after they have managed a much needed cat nap while pup is asleep)is that your pup is completely normal . They do make a lot of noise, mess etc.  But once over this stage, and it will end, you and OH will be rewarded with your bestest friend, companion ever.  Its a long time since I went through puppy hood but I can help with the therapy side ---- chocolate and wine, lots of wine

Hang on in there  :003:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:53:06 PM »
Hi,
Welcome.We are newish puppy owners too.This site is great, couldnt have coped without it.Our Rosie hated the crate, then had a horrendous upset tum and so was never crate trained. I had nights sleeping downstairs with Her, it seemed She would never be toilet trained over night, in fact At 7 months She really has only now got to grips with that.Still really trying to find food that doesn't upset Her, the places where She has deposited unpickupable poos are too many too mention.She is completely nuts but so bright.Her recall is great, sits, stands, waits, greets people by sitting at their feet,We have started Agility club and because of Rosie have met lovely people.The crate has been put away, She sleeps on a bed in the lounge.There are teeth marks in the skirting boards, the post has to be left in the porch, ( eats it) I could go on ,but what I am saying is hang in there.We had times when We thought what have We done but We wouldnt be without Her now, She is an absolute joy.And if you have a problem ask on here, someone will have an answer for you.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:56:19 PM »
I can second that!  Humphrey was a year old this week and I can't believe its a whole year since I was going through what you are now and wondering what on earth I'd done!!!! The first couple of weeks can be a bit trying but he'll eventually settle down and the joy he'll reward you with, will make up for it all a thousandfold later.
You'll get lots of support, encouragement and good advice on here, so stick with us and we'll help you through 😉. This community has saved my sanity on several occasions!
Welcome on board, we look forward to seeing pictures and hearing more!  :D

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 10:45:03 PM »
Hi. We got our third cocker when I retired, but we hadn't had a puppy for 16 years. It was a complete shock to the system, we had forgotten just how much hard work they can be. But we survived and went on to get another one a year later!
He really is only a baby and still settling in to a new routine. Try to ignore the mess. >:D
When ours were little I would make sure that I had played with them before I put them in their crate so that they were tired. I also bought a puppy kong that I filled with banana and froze and gave them when I put them in the crate. It's all about distraction  and them learning to cope on their own. You can buy several interactive toys to keep them occupied.
I remember Maddie not wanting to stay in her crate and howling. Trying to catch the quiet nano second was so difficult.
Cockers can be determined little dogs, but try and enjoy the puppy stage it goes by so quickly.
Wine and chocolate definitely help!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline daw

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:57:58 PM »
He is just really NFC, normal for cocker.  :blink: They are incredibly sensitive as a breed and in the last week the world he knew (Mum, siblings, sights and smells of home) have been stolen from him. Puppies mainly are lonely and scared at this stage- that's how nature made them because they're too vulnerable to survive unaided.

I personally have never used a crate. I'd try a puppy pen if you must but as has been said, play with him, wait till he's calm and then give him a time-out with a kong for distraction. If you are being driven mad as you say you can be sure he's picking that up. I know it's hard but calm, calm, calm around all young dogs. Dogs who urinate and defecate in the circumstances you describe are stressed. He's not being 'naughty' or trying to be difficult. He's saying Help! You're all I've got now and I can't cope!  :'(   

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 11:03:30 PM »
First of all - DON'T PANIC. I had never had a dog before we got Henry at 8 weeks old and the first few weeks were completely exhausting. Every pup is different and brings its own challenges, but some things are universal. Here you will find great advice on both the specific and the general.

Going back to your OP - have you trained the pup to 'like' the pen? Like crate training, I think you need to build up positive experiences so instead of the pup thinking: 'Oh no, this is where I go when my people don't want to be with me.' the pup thinks: 'Oh goody, this is the place where I eat my yummy meals, or this is the place where I get those super awesome treats, or get to play with that crazy Kong thing.' You can start with leaving the door open and work up to closing it for just a few seconds, then a bit longer, until pup doesn't care if it's opened or closed. Sorry if you have already done this, just wanted to check.

There were plenty of times in the early days that I wondered what the hell we'd let ourselves in for. Walking Henry today, watching him bound through the long grass and come back to us, ears a-flapping, or a goofy grin on his face as he popped out of the woods in front of us where we weren't expecting him - it's so worth it.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:13:34 AM »
Hi, I can totally relate, having had 3 cockers, the 2nd one hated his crate and messed in it so bad that I had to abandon it altogether.  My 1st disliked it but I then used a puppy pen and had to "train" him to tolerate it (he also messed whenever left alone).  That took a few weeks and I can send you the exercises I done with him if you'd like  :D 

I have been lucky with my 3rd and current pup, Monty who is now 15 weeks old.  I've fed him in his crate from day 1 and he settles without problems in there for naps during the day.  This has enabled me to leave the house and return to no mess, which is incredible!  However, I've been careful to associate the crate with good things (he gets his Kong and treats in there too). 

Never underestimate the first few months of cocker ownership, they can be very intense but eventually it will all be worth it  :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 08:53:41 AM »
Hi and welcome. I think if you look back at any one of our first posts we all struggled with the puppy stage at some point or other... I know I certainly did with the sheer exhaustion and worry that I was doing something wrong! It's all totally normal. Cockers are known to be Velcro dogs... Meaning they want to be with you ALL the time. Your little one is only 9 weeks old and there's a lot of new things going on!
Stick with it, it's tough but it's so worth it. People on here really got me through and there isn't ever a question that is too silly! So ask away! Good luck

Offline WPB

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 08:54:12 AM »
Thank you for all your words of encouragement. I am sticking with it for the moment. It's early days for sure but sleep deprivation and cleaning up poo early in the morning makes for negative feelings. It's really helpful to know I can ask for advice and support. My husband is not so keen on having a dog so that makes it a bit harder. Still no accidents in the night- I managed to take him out at optimum times. I hope it will be better when I can actually take him for a walk - should be in about 2 weeks- seems such a long time:)

Offline WPB

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »
I would love your exercises geordietyke if you are willing to send them. Not sure how that works on this site.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 09:43:12 AM »
Have emailed the plan, just change details for you!  Good luck, Lesley x
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline TedsMum

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »
We are just starting our fourth week of having little Ted. The first two were just as you describe. Upset tum, clingy, ear mites,no routine. In the last few days all is settling down.
Hang on in there and cat nap when you can. Sleep deprivation makes everything seem worse. X

Offline WPB

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
Thanks for sending stuff Geordietyke. He is a lovely boy just soooo time consuming. Everyone says it will get easier- I'm hanging not that!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 05:57:53 PM »
Never underestimate owning a puppy, especially a cocker.   It's like having another child!

Give it a go, with practice, repetition and patience, you should see some improvements.