Author Topic: Hell!  (Read 2965 times)

Offline rubybella

Re: Hell!
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 02:44:56 PM »
Both mine were crate trained and I have been dog sitting my friends cocker spaniel puppy 1 day a week since she was 9 weeks so the crate has been reinstated in the kitchen. Mine were always happy to go in their crate at night and in the day. They didn't really have any choice though! When my lab was a puppy my kids were young and for her own safety she was always put in there whenever I left the room, so many times a day. She got a treat everytime and frozen kings etc. When my spaniel was a puppy I couldn't leave her out everytime I left the room because she would harass my lab and I was worried that my lab would get very cross with her. So all in all the crate was a necessity for our situation. I would persevere if you can as crates can be invaluable and it's really useful to have a dog who settles in a crate. If they go to a vets they get put in crate type cages and if your dog has to go to a kennels it is in a giant crate type thing. It's good to have a dog that is used to and happy being confined in a space if necessary, don't let the howling put you off.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2016, 05:07:45 PM »
Great advice already but will add my experience.

Jinely had a canvas crate (den) inside a large pen.  I didnt set the alarm to come down during the night, I could cope with washing a floor more than I could with lack of sleep.

She then progressed to just her crate (open) restricted to downstairs and she settled well as part of her nighttime routine - last wee at 10.30, biscuit then bed until I came down about 7.30 to 8 the next morning.  Not a peep!

If you have small children then persevere with a safe haven for your puppy (and visiting children) or have a selection of stair gates around the house.

Good luck!

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 08:55:05 AM »
Hello and Welcome.

Hang in there, it does get better! :D

You have had some very good advice here, I can only add that I found feeding him in his crate and giving him treats or filled kong when putting him in his crate and slowly building up the time has worked very well now for me.

I have had dogs all my life but always had Basset's and Clumbers. I thought I was well prepared and experienced for my little cocker boy Reese.....was I wrong! Lol
My partner works offshore and unfortunately went away for a month the day before I picked Reese (pocket rocket) up so I was on my own. I took 2 weeks off work to help settle him in and plan was to establish a routine. Lol  I found the first few weeks very hard, he was on the go constantly. I had no sleep, was always on the go taking him out or cleaning up accidents, playing with him and training with things like crate and grooming trying to keep calm, upbeat and positive when I just wanted to sleep....It also did my diet the world of good as never managed more than a few mouthfuls of anything! Lol I was actually pleased to go back to work, that first morning dropped him off at my mums and kissed him goodbye and went off to work....and found myself missing that little bundle of trouble, fun and love and wishing I could win the lottery so I could spend all my time with him.  :005:
That time soon passes, take time to appreciate the cute fun times too. Reese is now 18 weeks old and a real pleasure to be with and a happy confident little boy which makes the effort and exhausting early stages worthwhile. There have been other challenges but nothing like the first few weeks.

Hope thing work out for you and pup....picture are always welcome for us to swoon over  :luv:

Take care Tracy & Reese