Author Topic: pulling on the lead  (Read 4968 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: pulling on the lead
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 07:43:47 AM »
The clicker/treat did seem to be actually working for us aswell for a while but my trainer poo pood it and I didn't carry on but I think I might just give it another go........Keep us posted LG?
The most effective thing (apart from nostril plugs :005:) would be an almost invisable lead, I'm sure if I could fool Humphrey into thinking he was off-lead, he'd be better.......!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 08:17:55 AM »
I'll keep you posted for sure. Pretty much all training I've done with Henry has ended in a half-hearted 'That will do' followed by backsliding. I really want to see this one through!

Henry behaves much better off lead too, and I wonder if that's another reason to teach loose lead walking, as they may forget about it when there's no tension.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline AlanT

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
My dog behaves COMPLETELY different on a WYDWL harness, compared to using an ordinary collar.

My wife, a tiny girl, cannot walk him on the collar. On WYDWL he is a sweetie.

Something about a collar stimulates pulling. You can train until you are blue in the face. He knows. But he can't stop himself.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »
My dog behaves COMPLETELY different on a WYDWL harness, compared to using an ordinary collar.

My wife, a tiny girl, cannot walk him on the collar. On WYDWL he is a sweetie.

Something about a collar stimulates pulling. You can train until you are blue in the face. He knows. But he can't stop himself.

It worked well for us for months Alan but all of a sudden Humphrey didn't want to let me put it on and ran back to his bed as soon as I got it out. I ordered the bigger size which arrived yesterday (got it for half price as its a second purchase - a brilliant service) but he's still not very enthusiastic. I've decided now to keep it for walking in public areas, and am back to the collar or ruffwear harness now for our daily walks. They're little devils really, just when you think you've cracked it, they waggle a finger paw at you!  ;)

Offline AlanT

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 08:52:15 PM »
I don't mess about. I just whack it on and whizz up the street.

Makes no difference if I get a protest. I don't usually.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 09:50:03 PM »
My 2 are so different on walks. Murphy likes to stop and sniff everything and doesn't pull. Millie wants to charge on forwards. I get pulled in both directions. Yesterday Millie managed to pull herself out of he WYDWL harness twice.
I decided today that something had to change. A gundog trainer told us a while ago to ditch the collar/lead and ditch the harness. He gave us a slip lead and said that as soon as the lead went tight to give it a sharp pull backwards with a loud HEEL. I prefered to try less drastic measures.
But today, after losing the will to live on our last walk, I thought I would give it a go.
And by the end of the walk Millie was walking far better. I must have shouted HEEL a thousand times though.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »
Funnily enough, my trainer suggested a slip lead yesterday.......!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »
bizzylizzy - Henry started backing away from all his harnesses a few months ago. I don't think they are uncomfortable, it's just something he's decided he doesn't like. He scoots away if he can when he sees the harness in my hand. I now have to catch him unawares! Once it's on he's fine and raring to go.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
No way can my dog pull out of his WYDWL. I just have it tight enough to prevent this. A leg won't go through the body-loop.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 07:29:34 AM »
Blue doesn't enjoy the process of being trussed up, I always have a tussle with him to get the harness on, (whichever one I'm using) but I think he regards it as a game and a chance to get teeth on flesh  >:(
Once it's on, it stays on for the day, I'm not physically strong enough to repeat this several times a day.
Setting off on a walk, he walks nicely and doesn't pull, but at this stage he is in full on sniffy sniff mode, so we stop at every blade of grass and piece of street furniture.  He's entirely manageable, with treats and an occasional 'stop, sit, look at me, now let's walk nicely...' reminder, UNTIL he realises we're on the route home, then he puts his shoulder into the WYDWL harness and determinedly hauls me along, there is absolutely no stopping him once he starts.  In this mode, the WYDWL harness causes him to have a slightly diagonal gait, like a dressage horse!  He behaves the same with the Perfect Fit harness, but is able to go in a straight line with that one, and bounds along like Roobarb.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 07:50:24 AM »
Have you tried a Gencon?  As long as the dog doesn't mind having something over their nose, these are fantastic.  They don't train your dog to walk to heel, but used properly (ie no yanking or harsh pulling!) your dog physically cannot pull when on one of these.  As soon as they move too far ahead, their head is turned slightly and they stop.

I used it for Josie (our springer x lab, now sadly at the bridge) and she could be walked by a toddler in her Gencon.  Without it, she could pull me over! 

However, as I said, it's not actually training your dog not to pull on the lead - it just makes walks nicer for both of you.

Good luck.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »
Thanks Penelope, I haven't heard of that one, is it like a Halti?  I will look into it, although suspect Blue would not like anything over the nose.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
Blueberry - if Blue is mostly pulling on the way home, it's a habit you need to break, as much as it's about loose lead walking. He's got it into his head this is what he does on the the way home. Although it will be very boring for a while, maybe you could make your walk away from home much shorter then concentrate most of your time on the return journey. Just do not budge if he's pulling. Turn around. You'll look like a fool and it might take FOREVER to get home. But every time he gets to move forward towards home by pulling, he's rewarded himself.

What I found really useful was to do the clicker training for being by my side at home with no lead. Then in the garden with no lead, then a lead. All this over the course of a week. Now I practice it for a few minutes before we go out as well as at random times when at home. When we are out and he is walking nicely, a click makes him turn his head and wait for a treat. If he even glances back at me while ahead, I click. Then he remembers what follows the click if he's beside me and he doubles back to my side.

If he sees a squirrel all bets are off and I just wait until he's calmed down again to start walking. Again, just a glance back at me will get a click and he'll eventually get back into training mode.

We're at week two now and I'm seeing definite progress. I'd say he pulled for maybe forty percent of the walk today, rather than one hundred per cent.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »
You are all certainly having a lot more trouble than me.

Mine will walk to heel, will not pass me, if he is off lead. I have to be pretty active with commands but he will stay behind.

On a collar he is is Husky mode.

On a WYDWL and a small child could manage him.