Author Topic: pulling on the lead  (Read 4969 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: pulling on the lead
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »
Anything's worth trying, different things work for different dogs/people. Let us know how you get on - its always an interesting topic in cocker circles!!
Sorry if we went off topic a bit with your post but hope the discussion was useful anyway!  ;)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2016, 07:12:52 PM »
thank you so much for all your advise. I'll probably try a harness but our puppy trainer at classes gave us a choke-collar to try. No sure what i think about that one yet.

A harness is kinder on the dogs neck but doesn't teach them to stop pulling  :-\ a slip lead will as it tightens when they pull and is slack when they are walking nicely to heel.  It is really repetitive conditioning but will pay dividends in the long term.

Not sure I agree with choke collars or chains - both seem a harsh way to treat a dog.

I heard a great saying "a year on the lead = 12 years off the lead" the reverse is also true.  I would advocate taking your time, teaching a reliable recall first, stop at distance second and heel work last.  Depending on how much prey drive your wcs has will dictate how long it takes.  Today I have taken delivery of a remote control 4x4 car to help speed up Coral's training with regard to not chasing.......I suspect it will take a lot of batteries but worthwhile as I'll have a reliable dog, that I can call back when asked and stop at distance for her safety.

Jayne

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »
thank you so much for all your advise. I'll probably try a harness but our puppy trainer at classes gave us a choke-collar to try. No sure what i think about that one yet.

A harness is kinder on the dogs neck but doesn't teach them to stop pulling  :-\ a slip lead will as it tightens when they pull and is slack when they are walking nicely to heel.  It is really repetitive conditioning but will pay dividends in the long term.

Not sure I agree with choke collars or chains - both seem a harsh way to treat a dog.

I heard a great saying "a year on the lead = 12 years off the lead" the reverse is also true.  I would advocate taking your time, teaching a reliable recall first, stop at distance second and heel work last.  Depending on how much prey drive your wcs has will dictate how long it takes.  Today I have taken delivery of a remote control 4x4 car to help speed up Coral's training with regard to not chasing.......I suspect it will take a lot of batteries but worthwhile as I'll have a reliable dog, that I can call back when asked and stop at distance for her safety.

Jayne

What a clever idea!! The men'll be queing up to help with the training!  >:D

Offline AlanT

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2016, 11:03:08 PM »
Three hours in the Ashridge Forest today. About half off the lead and half on. Beautiful recall. No trouble with other dogs.

With a WYDWL it does not matter if he is on or off. On a collar I'd get fed up with pulling and let him go more than I should do.

Today I noticed the phenomenon where he stays closer when walking in new territory but goes much further ahead when he knows the way.

It's hard to do a circular route there because you get lost easily. So I usually back-track and follow the dog.
He uses his nose to bring us back. Quite amazing.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 07:18:48 AM »
Alan - what age is your dog?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2016, 03:19:38 PM »
Millie has learnt how to pull in her WYDWL harness. It did work very well for the first couple of weeks.
The problem is that she does everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, at a million miles an hour. Walking at my pedestrian pace is just a totally alien concept to her.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2016, 03:56:51 PM »
London Girl has just started a new thread  on this topic  now - well worth looking at 👍 . Lets get together on this everybody, we'll beat this problem yet!!  ;)

Offline AlanT

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
My dog is just turned 3.

You can see him in the Videos section.

He's a show type and as Spaniels go calm and very easy to manage. Considering he has a somewhat unusual life-style I am often amazed how he behaves.

Super intelligent and highly motivated dog.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »
Have you tried a Gencon?  As long as the dog doesn't mind having something over their nose, these are fantastic.  They don't train your dog to walk to heel, but used properly (ie no yanking or harsh pulling!) your dog physically cannot pull when on one of these.  As soon as they move too far ahead, their head is turned slightly and they stop.

I used it for Josie (our springer x lab, now sadly at the bridge) and she could be walked by a toddler in her Gencon.  Without it, she could pull me over! 

However, as I said, it's not actually training your dog not to pull on the lead - it just makes walks nicer for both of you.

Good luck.

On your recommendation, and urgently needing to find a solution that will allow me to walk him safely in winter, I bought a Gencon All in One, and it arrived yesterday.  We've had a couple of practise runs in the garden with it, and this afternoon we used it on a short walk round the neighbourhood.  Blue hates it, and tries to get it off, but once he realises it's not going anywhere, he settles down and stops pulling and lunging.  He does lie down and refuse to budge occasionally, and has to be bribed with a reward to walk on, so at the moment it will only be deployed on short walks, but early signs are good, so thank you!

Offline Mandymlc

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2016, 09:24:03 PM »
Millie has learnt how to pull in her WYDWL harness. It did work very well for the first couple of weeks.
The problem is that she does everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, at a million miles an hour. Walking at my pedestrian pace is just a totally alien concept to her.

the only time effie is not at warp speed is when she's asleep...  :happydance:
🐶