Author Topic: Can barely see through tears to type - 5yr old Cocker in for emergency spinal op  (Read 13088 times)

Offline LiliPickles

Thank you all so much for your kind words of support. It means so much to know people understand and care. Takes the edge off things a little tiny bit. I'm sorry that words fail me to say much more than thank you. I feel so numb and afraid right now.

@Darwin Your story has given me some hope that there's light at the end of this tunnel. I hope my girl manages to follow in your boys footsteps. As long as I'm able, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help her mend and I'm trying to prepare myself for the battle that lies ahead. Thank you for sharing your story and giving me some hope that there's a chance she could beat this.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Just wanted to send you and your girl some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: 
I don't  have any experience myself other than reading on here the stories of people whose cockers have gone through this and come out the other side.  You will find endless support on here as the one thing we all have in common is the love we have for our cockers

Take care,  you and your girl will be in lots of people's thoughts tonight  :luv:

Offline PollySpaull

No advice or experience to add, but just wanted to say that I hope with all my heart that your girl makes a full recovery. It's heartbreaking when we feel we can't do anything to help out our little shadows, but you've done all you can for the moment. Slow and steady to carry on with and fingers crossed she is able to get back to her old self.
Stay strong and positive for her, keep us updated with her progress x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
What a complete shock for you both  :'(  Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for a positive outcome.  Take care  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
I hope your girl's had a good night and that you have too, after all the shock and worry of the last couple of days  :bigarmhug:

I've been looking for some old threads about other dogs that have been through spinal surgery, specifically for the one by KellyT, as mentioned by someone else earlier on this thread, and found it http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=90490.msg1344588#msg1344588

The thread stops quite early on in the recovery process, but there were subsequent updates, including a lovely set of birthday pictures some 18 months later showing a Cocker paddling and doing all the normal Cocker type things, so I hope you'll be encouraged xx

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Sending you both positive thoughts. It's standing by and being so helpless is the real killer  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
So sorry to read about your girl,  no experience of this but just wanted to send some positive thoughts.  Thinking of you both  :luv: xxxx
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline LiliPickles

Huge thank you to everyone for your good wishes and thoughts, it really has been a huge help to read such kind things and all the support and advice has been a big help already.

First Update - I just called the vet to check in and apparently she's bright as a button this morning. She's not too fussed about eating but they say that's normal after such a long surgery. She's baring a little weight on her left leg but nothing her right yet. I feel like that's a great improvement already considering she was literally just dragging her lower half behind her this time yesterday.

She does have "deep pain" which they say is a good thing, and she's almost able to pee on her own. She needs a little help to get started off and then she goes by herself, which again they say is a good sign. They're letting us go and visit her this afternoon, and bring her some of her things and some treats. I'm terrified that visiting her might upset her because she is so attached to me (and my mom) and that it might somehow hamper her recovery but I miss her so much I need to see her and the vets seemed pleased to get us over to her.

I'll update with any more news later on once I know a bit more and have seen her for myself.

Thanks again all! Your kindness really has been a huge help to get me through this first night. :)

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Good to hear, that she is feeling a bit brighter this morning. Sending you both lots of healing and positive thoughts for a speed recovery  :luv: :luv: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Andrea Ellie

Sending positive thoughts and hugs.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Just seen this and what a shock for you, I am sending all my best wishes and hope that the improvement is swift and she is soon with you again.

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
What a terrible shock for you all!
So good to hear that she has come through the surgery well  :luv:
Sending lots of positive thoughts for a good recovery.
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Janet & Poppy

Offline lescef

That's wonderful news. Hope you see more improvement this afternoon.  X
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
That sounds positive. I'm sure you'll feel better yourself when you've actually seen her. Chin up - you'll get there!!
Lots of cuddles for your little girl - what's her name by the way?

Offline Darwin

Such good news that's she's had a good night
I wouldn't worry about her not really eating at this stage, I'm sure once she see you , you'll be able to get her to eat some treats
Being able to wee with only a little help is also amazing at one day post surgery, Darwin discharge from hospital was nearly delayed as he wouldn't wee on his own.
Having the deep pain feeling is what they're looking for at the stage at it means that she still has feeling in her back legs.

Thinking if you. Looking forward to hearing about your visit today
Please don't hesitate to PM me if I can be of any more help