Author Topic: Can barely see through tears to type - 5yr old Cocker in for emergency spinal op  (Read 13092 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
WOO HOO what good news. 
We need a name and photo so we can " personalise" our get well wishes to your little brave girl. Do not get too upset when you visit, we do not want her picking up your distress vibes. She will be home before you know  :003:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Wonderful news, will keep sending the healing vibes and  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: s
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline luckypenny

So glad things sound brighter x

Offline LiliPickles

Hey all. Just got back from visiting her.

She came out with a sling holding up her back end, and not putting any weight on her legs at all, they were just dragging behind her. A really nice nurse laid her out for us to sit with but she told us a few things that seemed to contradict what I was told earlier by a different nurse, which has worried me. Apparently she needs a little bit of help to pee, and has had an accident earlier today so they had to bathe her, but that she doesn't need much stimulation to go is a good sign (but there's a risk of her getting cystitis) for recovery and potential care needs. Apparently her legs are showing muscle reactions so that's a good sign too but she can't bare weight yet. I think she was in a lot of pain because she was not herself at all at first.

I got so much information from the surgeon I'm a bit bamboozled by it all and I don't think I took anything on board. The operation was to remove pressure, not a disk or anything, but the details of it all went over my head in a whirlwind of information and probabilities/possibilities. He told us that she's at a level four (out of five - being the worst) and that she could go either way with recovery and it's a waiting game to know how she'll turn out in the long run. He said it's not a degenerative condition (although every creatures disks degenerate as they age) and there was nothing we could have done to prevent what happened...I can't help feeling like there might have been.... :(

He said she's at about a sixty percent chance of getting better at the moment but the initial signs are positive. He said there are a lot of potential complications that could occur and that she's got a long road ahead of her. They generally expect to see significant improvements with four to six weeks, but if it goes beyond twelve weeks without any significant improvement we may have to start making hard choices, but I'm trying not to think about that now as it's a long way off. He said he had a gut feeling that she would be one of the slower healers, so I really hope she proves him wrong but I'm worried to death about how she'll heal and how I'm going to cope with giving her the care she'll need to get there when she comes home.

For the first part of the visit she was really dopey, and not herself at all. She ate a piece of biscuit but didn't want much else at first. She then fell asleep while the surgeon was talking and when she woke up she was much brighter. (The nurse said that her pain meds had probably kicked in, so it's a relief to know that something is helping her with the pain.) She then ate all the biscuits I took and had some apple pieces too, but she filled up pretty fast and wasn't interested at all in her regular food, which doesn't surprise me. Whenever she's a bit off colour her interest in normal food is the first to go, but she's always up for biscuits haha!

Her eyes seemed much brighter after her nap and they were lighting up whenever we said words she's familiar with at home (like "Ozzie" - her big brother!) and her ears were going up and down as they always do. And she was curious and alert to what was going on around her - the nurses said they've already noticed she's a nosey little thing haha! She really is. We miss having our little "supervisor" around haha!

It broke my heart all over again to leave her, and I'm absolutely sick with worry for what might be to come for us all but it was so good to see her. I hate her being away from home but I know it's for the best and I'm hoping nature will be on her side and get her mended quickly and fully. As the surgeon said, it's in the lap of the Gods know...so I hope they're kind to her.

Thanks again to everyone for the continued support, prayers and good wishes. It really does mean so much to know people relate and care and everyone who's gone through this and come out the other side is a inspiration to me to keep my head up and fight for her recovery.

I've attached a picture I took of her. All her lovely curls are gone but I'm taking it as a marker for her recovery - keeping everything crossed that her legs will be back working long before her curls grow back.

@MIN - I can't believe I forgot to mention her name. She's called Lilith, but we call her Lili...or Pickles...because she literally cannot help herself with picking things up. She's always got to bring a "present" and loves to steal things while your back is turned and parade around with them. I really hope we get to see her do that again very soon.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
beautiful " bearded" lady  :005:

We here do our best to help,comfort, laugh and listen when it is required. There are not many subjects that can not be tackled. You yourself now will have input for when this happens to someone else.
 All knowledge no matter how vague is always wanted by someone

ps. Welcome to the family,
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
What a very pretty little girl you have there.  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
She is a beautiful girl and we are all hoping that she will be back with you soon. Look at those eyes, so trusting and loving.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
I had to do a double take, Lilli is almost the spitting image of Coral, so now I'm completely biased but what a pretty girl you have  :luv:

It is very early days yet, the fact that she's awake and bright eyed is pretty good - just think how we humans would react to surgery of the nature she's just gone through  ;)

Wishing Lilli a speedy and full recovery,

Jayne

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Get well soon Lilith, we're all thinking about you, you'll be home soon!!  :luv:

Offline Darwin

I've been thinking about you all day, your little one is totally gorgeous.

Darwin was the same, he had 2 nurses walking him out to see me, I was waiting the main reception area of the animal hospital and suddenly he was there!  I had expected to have been seeing him in a  hospital cage.

We also spent ages blaming ourselves, if we had done this or that maybe it wouldn't have happened etc. I was looking on the web at doggy wheel chairs ( don't look, it just makes you feel worse than you do already)

Darwin's is IVDD so degenerative.  I think what they did is remove a section of the bone of the spine to release the pressure on the spinal column.  They even had a model of the spine to show us what they would be doing.

Starting writing a list of question, so maybe tomorrow you can either see or phone the vets and then maybe get some more answers.

Try and just focus on getting Lili home where she belongs.  If we managed to nurses and support Darwin in his recovery I'm sure you can do the same.  It's amazing how strong  they can be, they really have a will to recover.

Ax

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Sending bucket loads of positive thoughts your way and thinking of your sweet girl, hope she has a settled night.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
Healing thoughts and prayers for Lilith, what a beautiful girl  :luv:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Lilith is beautiful  :luv: :luv: Wishing her continued healing prayers and positive thoughts :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline LiliPickles

Thank you all so much for the lovely wishes, kind words and positivity. It's a big help to know so many people have her in their thoughts.

Just called up the vets for a morning update...They said she's been comfortable overnight but there's no improvement...I'm gutted! :( Not the news I've been hoping for...but I guess it's still early in the day. Going in to see her late this afternoon so I'm holding out some hope that something good will happen as the day goes on. It's less than forty-eight hours since she came out of surgery, so I'm (perhaps foolishly) telling myself that she just needs more time. :'( She perked up so much yesterday from when she was bought in to when we had to leave her and the nurse said that the pain meds may have kicked in so I hope once they do their job she'll feel a bit more like fighting.

@Darwin - It means a lot to know you've been thinking of us, thank you! I was exactly the same - I'd imagined seeing her through bars or something, to see her being bought out like that was disheartening. I looked on a site for disabled pets and saw the wheelchairs...it was very upsetting...I hope I don't ever have to go back to look at them again.

That's exactly what they did to Lili. The vet/surgeon drew it for us on a whiteboard, so we got a little visual too. It just sounded awfully brutal and I hope with everything I am that it did the trick for her. He didn't mention IVDD (I was reading up on it last night) and I asked if there was a chance it could happen again, and he said he wasn't sure....Every time I try to think of questions my mind goes blank, it's all mainly things about getting her home and how to adapt to best help her but they don't seem too keen on discussing that yet as I guess it could be a long way off.

Thank you for having faith and keeping us in mind. I hope we can do it, so much depends on nature doing its (her?) job and the waiting to know anything or hear something positive and hopefully is so awful.

Offline AlanT

Here is a tip from the time my dog had a stomach operation.

He got mobile pretty quickly but NO JUMPING. Lifting him seemed painful.
BUT he had to get into the car for vet visits.

I had two big "bean-bags" laying about that make impromptu dog-beds.
Piling these up by the car door gave a safe route in and out for him.