Author Topic: New Puppy  (Read 882 times)

Offline Bertie

• Site Member
New Puppy
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:06:23 PM »
After losing our beautiful blue roan girlie - Sasha, at christmas, we have now decided that now is the time to start our search for a new member of our family. I think we're leaning towards a black show cocker this time although we still love the dark blue roans too.

Does anyone know if there is much/any difference in temperament between a blue roan and a solid black cocker? (I realise a lot of it is down to the breeding and the parents).

...so feeling excited to eventually find a new girlie for our family.  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: New Puppy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:30:15 PM »
Having had a blue roan and solid black simultaneously, I can confirm both are equally as nuts and cocker cuddly  :luv:

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:06:26 PM »
We've only had blacks, but the difference in temperament between them has been considerable; so there is no typical black STC behaviour you might compare with. As you say, breeding, breeder and home environment all have considerable influence on behaviour.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »
I would imagine that certain characteristics only apply to colours that have been specifically and intensively breed just for their colour with little regard to other characteristics - like the issues with golden cockers a few years ago. There’s been a lot of discussion about this, and as far as I remember the general consensus is that the colour genes in themselves don’t carry with them any particular characteristics.

However, if you want to know, my solid black is supremely affectionate, smart, still thinks he’s a puppy, infuriating, greets everyone with a kidney punch and is as happy to sleep the day away as bound through the countryside. He’s still ridiculously over-excited by new situations and that is an ongoing training issue for us. He has neither guarding nor separation issues for which I thank my lucky stars.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline hoover

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:05:06 PM »
I think, anecdotally, there may be a possibility of more temperament issues with solids than with roans/ particolours.  That's not to say that there aren't plenty of lovely, temperamentally sound solids out there and conversely roans & particolours with issues, but I personally, from what I've read more generally and heard described by others tend to think solids present more often with issues like guarding.  (Owner of black solid male with quite advanced guarding issues).

Probably more important than any of that is that you make contact with breeders who you feel confident in, can reassure you that they have dogs  & had litters with no known serious temperament issues, and that ideally, you can see and interact with both parents who both appear well adjusted and free from any nervous behaviours.