Cocker Activities > Other Activities

Running with cockers

(1/3) > >>

Woolwitch:
Hi, I have a 14 month old working cocker, and as a runner, have not yet taken him out with me as I am conscious of not overdoing it with him while he is still developing and growing - we just stick to walks with him at the moment. I would eventually like him to come on runs with me - I am not talking marathons :) my maximum is about 3 miles, 2 or 3 times a week. Do other people run with their dogs and when did you start? Thanks!

Patp:
I am sure somebody will come along in a minute that has succeeded but I have trouble not tripping over Jinley at waking pace!  She zig zags across the path and has to inspect a blade of grass at various intervals.

Woolwitch:
Hmmm, yes I thought that might be an issue!

Leo0106:
My partner runs with our dog, and we also cycle with him. He's always running faster than we can cycle or run however does tire toward the end of a 7k cycle at a medium pace. We didn't start doing this until he was abut 18 months old but he seems to love it. Always important to pick up on dogs signs of tiring. We slow down and take regular breaks and slow to a walk if he ever needs it

Gazrob:
I would be careful with that as some dogs are prone to arthritis and also could possibly end up chasing something near a dangerous area. Don't over to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version