Author Topic: Anyone had problems with raw?  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Saffronmac

Anyone had problems with raw?
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:11:15 AM »
Hello, I am the very proud owner of Skye, 8 year old working type, and our new addition Archie, 13 weeks show type. I have always fed Skye a grain free kibble and she has always been happy, very healthy and full of energy. When we brought Archie home at 8 weeks old, the breeder was also feeding kibble but it quickly became apparent that Archie wasn't coping well with it. He wouldn't eat much and his stomach would swell badly after food. I decided to try raw to help Archie out and he is now thriving. Unfortunately Skye is not! I am feeding Natural Instint complete to both dogs with very different results. In 5 weeks Skye has had two trips to the vets for infections and she currently has conjunctivitis in both eyes. She is generally under the weather and less active, and pretty grumpy at times. I have spoken to the owner of the raw feed shop, and asked elsewhere online but I have hit a brick wall. A lot of raw feeders seem to be quite purist! I also need to add that Skye has not taken very well to having a puppy! Could this be stress?? I would really like your thoughts if anyone has had a similar experience. The obvious answer is of course to put Skye back on kibble, but I would prefer both dogs to be fed the same way.

Thank you

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Anyone had problems with raw?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »
Hi.
There are indeed an awful lot of  "purists" among the raw feeding community who try to make a science out of the whole issue. (You'll find the worst of them on the raw feeder forums trying to complete with each other about the size of the road kill their pooches devoured!! :005: )
I changed Humphrey to raw when he was only a few months old and the transition was really easy, but I think perhaps with an older dog it could perhaps be a bit more difficult and need a gradual change over, just feeding one sort of meat at first and then introducing new sorts gradually. I mix my own as I can't find a good ready mix here in Germany so I can't actually recommend any particular brand, I'm sure others will be able to help though.
On the whole, I wouldn't think it likely that the raw diet would have any detrimental health effects, - generally it has the opposite effect because the food doesn't contain any additives and doesn't lose any nutrients through processing. However, if Skye is allergic to any of the meat types, or has trouble with digestion (it can take a while to adjust) I would imagine that could have an effect on her immune system. Stress is always a possibility I suppose, but I think if I were you, I'd ask the vet to give her a good check over.
There are some very good raw feeding sites online and also some of the raw feeding manufacturers have websites with all sorts of free information. It does all seem very daunting at first but although I needed a bit of convincing at first, I wouldn't ever go back to manufactured food again now. Certainly for Archie, it would be a pity to go back, - perhaps for Skye you could give her her usual food until she's feeling more herself again and then try again gradually. Best of luck, I hope you manage to crack it!

Offline Saffronmac

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 04:25:43 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have had Skye checked over by our vet as she was suffering from a gut infection. This was cleared up with anti biotics, but then she got another infections within two weeks. As I have already mentioned she now has eye infections! Skye has never been I'll before. The vet blames the raw diet, the owner of the raw feed shop blames the vet! It's so hard! I just want my happy gorgeous dog back, it's not nice seeing Skye mope around looking terrible. She has also vomitted quite a few times which is unheard of for Skye. This is what's making me think that raw just doesnt agree with her. She was introduced to the raw food gradually and carefully following advice from the raw food shop. It was a three stage process to gradually introduce bone etc.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »
Don't be put off by the vet's attitude to raw - that's a very common and is usually biased.
Bone can sometimes cause digestive problems, you could try either giving it minced or leave it out altogether and give bone meal or similar instead but your food supplier will no doubt help you there.
But if the vet insists its the food, then maybe it really would be an idea to go back to what she was having before, just to see what happens. If there is no improvement, then that will force the vet to look further and get to the bottom of it.
As I said before, I mix myself but I think there are a lot more alternatives in GB. Is yours a well known ready mix or does your supplier put a mix together for you? The advantage of mixing yourself is ofcourse that you can adjust what's in it according to needs - some dogs can't take a lot of fat, others just refuse to eat liver /offal etc but although its pretty straightforward, you do need familiarize yourself with the subject matter first. There is a facebook group I used for a while which I found quite helpful - I'll see if I can find it. Hopefully someone else on here will come along soon with some more advice and recommendations.
Hope Skye's feeling better soon. Keep us posted!

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »
I think I  too would be inclined to put Skye back on to what she was having b4 pup arrived, as bizzylizzy says it would hopefully prove things one way or another what suits her best.

It's true a lot of vets don't like the idea of raw feeding for any number of reasons, but I think what is more important is that Skye gets better and back to her old self, and if that means ditching the raw for her, even for a little while till things settle! as it could be less stressful for both you and her.

Wishing you  luck.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 07:19:16 PM »
If Skye was happy and healthy on kibble why not put Her back on it.She has had a big change in Her life with the arrival of a puppy without Her food being changed as well.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 08:45:46 PM »
I wouldn’t think the symptoms you describe are attributable to raw - but happy to be proved wrong. Raw feeding can be problematic for some dogs - causing stomach upsets due to the high fat content. I fed my previous cocker raw but he developed chronic pancreatitis so the fat content in raw food ruled it out for him. My brothers lab had similar issues.
I would personally try her back in the kibble at least for now. The introduction of a new puppy on top of a radical change of food could all just be proving a bit much for her.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 09:50:46 PM »
With Bobby cocker,   he couldn’t digest the ground bone , in the Durham food frozen packs, many varieties,  which are actually visible sharp pieces. They came through whole. Some mixes include vegetables and ‘rusk’.  I too , worried about the fat content. I tried mixing my own , following approved recipes,but got fed up.  I only tried for a month.
I’m glad I didn’t stick at it, because I might have blamed myself for his later kidney condition.
You can use ground eggshell instead of bone, but I wasn’t happy about getting the correct ratios involved in calcium, phosphorus ,  potassium,salt etc.
One of my rescue terriers would only eat raw at first, but couldnt cope with bone either.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Saffronmac

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 09:52:38 AM »
Thank you so much everyone. Skye is going back on kibble (orijen). We went back to the vet for a follow up and she again has a temperature. I walked her yesterday, just me and her in her favourite woodland and she barely left the path, just plodded along next to me. Normally she would be zooming around chasing squirrels. I had heard the Durham products weren't too good. A friend of mine had trouble with the bone in that food. The Natural Instict food is good, it's a fine mince and the bone is ground up to very fine pieces. I have a feeling that Skye may have a problem with the fat content.  I'll keep Archie on raw for now though as he's doing brilliantly on it.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 10:14:54 AM »
I was going to post in the Oldies section about Sweep and our trials & tribulations with food recently but you might find it helpful.  Sweep is now 12 and has awful problems with her feet -as a result she is on daily steriods, antibiotics and thyroid medication  :-\
About a month ago she completely went off the food she has been having for years - Lilly's kitchen.  Just wouldn't touch it at all.  In an effort to get some food into her we resorted to plain cooked turkey mince which she has been eating although with not much relish.  Clearly this was not a long term feeding strategy as turkey mince on its own is not a balanced food. 
So I wondered whether raw might tempt her.  Doing our own raw recipes is just not a practical option for us so went to our local Pets Corner shop and they suggested R.O.R frozen food. I'd never heard of it but its a complete balanced frozen raw food - you simply weigh out or count the "nuggets".  Simple a quick - ingredients look ok
We gave her some on Monday and I have to say she is absolutely lapping it up - she actually sat by her bowl this morning waiting for breakfast.
So the acid test as all cocker owners will know is - the state of the poo!!!!!
So far so good - much better poo this morning than in recent weeks with just the turkey mince.
All in all we are cautiously optimistic that this might suit her going forward - got to go and buy some more bags today!

Archie our other dog is still on kibble and tins of Lily's kitchen and if we have to feed differently then I guess that's what we''ll have to do.  Its not really a problem

Hope this might help with your issues

Offline Saffronmac

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 08:25:28 AM »
Just a little update on Skye. I put her back on kibble and she is much better. She has loads of energy and seems to be enjoying life again. Her infections have all cleared up too so no more trips to the vets! She got the zoomies on the second day of being back on kibble! I thought she had stopped zooming just because she was sulking about having a new brother. It would seem that raw definitely does not suit every dog. Archie is still on raw for now though as he is doing really well. Thanks again for all your thoughts, always appreciated x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 09:39:11 AM »
That is good news! So glad Skye‘s back to her old self! This is just proof, once again, how silly the claims are about what is Good or Bad for a dog, they‘re not so unlike us, all individuals with different preferences, digestive systems and genetic make up, so whether tinned, dried, cooked or raw as long as its balanced and the quality‘s good, we should maybe just respect what they themselves want and let ourselves be guided by that.
All the best for both Skye and Archie, thanks for the update!  :luv:

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 10:01:43 AM »
Thanks for the update.  :D Really pleased to read Skye is feeling a lot better. As bizzylizzy rightly says they are all different and have different needs.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you all,  wishing you lots of fun with new pup.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »
I wouldn’t think the symptoms you describe are attributable to raw - but happy to be proved wrong. Raw feeding can be problematic for some dogs - causing stomach upsets due to the high fat content. I fed my previous cocker raw but he developed chronic pancreatitis so the fat content in raw food ruled it out for him. My brothers lab had similar issues.
I would personally try her back in the kibble at least for now. The introduction of a new puppy on top of a radical change of food could all just be proving a bit much for her.
Raw isn't all high in fat. I'm a raw feeder and Louis had a bout of pancreatitis 16 months ago, no idea why at 9 and half years old and no problems previously. But he's still raw fed, no further pancreatitis, and I haven't had any problems finding a good variety of low fat foods.

Offline Gerry123

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »
Just a little update on Skye. I put her back on kibble and she is much better. She has loads of energy and seems to be enjoying life again. Her infections have all cleared up too so no more trips to the vets! She got the zoomies on the second day of being back on kibble! I thought she had stopped zooming just because she was sulking about having a new brother. It would seem that raw definitely does not suit every dog. Archie is still on raw for now though as he is doing really well. Thanks again for all your thoughts, always appreciated x

Thanks for this post and sharing your experience with raw, it's hard to find much information out there. We had a similar experience - our 16 week old puppy was immediately SO calm after we switched her to Nutriment Raw (literally after her first meal of it) and went from 2 x zoomies a day to no zoomies at all.

We were pleased as she was previously so energetic that we were a bit stressed with it, and they do say the lower carbs in raw results in much calmer dogs - however we couldn't tell if she was calm or actually just depressed and we had a few concerns in the back of our mind.

Then last week she started sitting down on walks and begging to be carried (which was so unlike her extremely zoomy self). I posted this in the puppies forum, but we have now discovered that she actually has a vaginal infection, she is on antibiotics now.

A big part of me thinks it's just a coincidence that her lethargy began at the same time as starting on raw, because the other symptoms (male sexual interest despite her not being on heat or anywhere near her first season, plus lots of vulva licking - she would lie on her back in the park and her vulva would be like a puppy buffet - quite distressing!) started weeks before her being on raw.

She loves her raw food and eats anything and everything and vaginitis as an infection seems a bit removed from diet - whereas with your Skye's gut infection the connection to food seems clearer. I do worry though.. I think we will stick with the Nutriment for now and see if antibiotics do their job and she returns to a higher energy puppy, but if the infection returns we might try switching her back to her kibble.  :huh: