Author Topic: Hello from Edinburgh!  (Read 2606 times)

Offline sarah2312

Hello from Edinburgh!
« on: March 11, 2020, 10:34:56 AM »
Hi all,

I have just signed up to the forum after reading many of the posts here.

My fiance and I are thinking about getting our first puppy this year. We have thought and talked about it for many months already and finally decided on a Cocker Spaniel.

I will be a first-time dog owner (I never had dogs as a child) but my fiance has some experience growing up with Jack Russells and Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

I am so excited finding out more about this breed and I am sure I will have many questions along the way. I hope this forum will help us on our journey.

Kind regards from Edinburgh,
Sarah

Offline Saffronmac

Re: Hello from Edinburgh!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 11:33:46 AM »
Hello and welcome! How exciting for you both! You will find that we're all biased towards cockers on here lol! I grew up with dogs, my first dogs were a German shepherd and a rottweiler. My parents then rescued two terriers and another rottweiler. My husband and I both adore cockers. We have Skye, a working type 8 years old and Archie who is show type, 15 weeks old. They are challenging dogs but very rewarding and I adore the breed. Have you decided whether to get a working cocker or a show cocker?

Offline sarah2312

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »
Hello and welcome! How exciting for you both! You will find that we're all biased towards cockers on here lol! I grew up with dogs, my first dogs were a German shepherd and a rottweiler. My parents then rescued two terriers and another rottweiler. My husband and I both adore cockers. We have Skye, a working type 8 years old and Archie who is show type, 15 weeks old. They are challenging dogs but very rewarding and I adore the breed. Have you decided whether to get a working cocker or a show cocker?

Hi, thank you for the warm welcome! I lean more towards a show cocker but my fiance wants a working cocker. I am just thinking show cocker as I read they can be a bit calmer and more laid back than the working cocker. Maybe show cocker would be more suitable to our lifestyle as I am working 9 to 5 and would only really go on big walks to the beach, Arthur Seat, etc. at the weekends.

I know there is already a topic in this forum on whether to get a working or cocker Spaniel but any advice is much appreciated!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 01:28:34 PM »
Welcome! I grew up knowing only show cockers, they are plenty bouncy and playful for most families. My cocker is mainly a show, but there is some working dog from her fathers side. She could run forever when she was younger, and is still pretty fit for a teenager. But after a proper off lead walk and a short session of mental exercise, she would be happy to cuddle on the sofa for hours. Cockers are such clever little dogs, life is never boring with them  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:05:04 PM »
Hi and welcome from me too,  here in Germany. Glad you found us before you actually get your puppy, there‘s so much really good advice on here which you‘ll hopefully find helpful in getting you off to good start. I always wanted a cocker but somehow ended up with a German Shepherd who was followed by a GS mix, so having reached retirement I decided it would be now or never. I‘d never had a puppy before so had a lot to learn but have never ever regretted it for a second!
Cockers can be challenging but a lot depends on your expectations - basically they‘re clowns, have loads of enthusiasm and are eager to please but they do have a stubborn streak which, in my experience to date, is best dealt with a good portion of humour, a willingness to not demand perfection  and as much patience as you can muster!!! Humphrey is show line, he‘ll happily walk for hours but is equally content lounging about at home, although I do try to provide a bit of stimulation in the form of sniffing /searching games etc. Like any other breed, they have their strengths and weaknesses, be prepared to put in a bit of time training, particularly with respect to loose lead walking (not their finest point!!  :rofl1:) but you‘ll be rewarded with a wonderful companion who‘ll keep you smiling even on the most miserable  of days. Looking forward to hearing more, best of luck!

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:28:44 PM »
I couldn’t agree more with everything the guys have said.

Prior to owning Bella, I had only had cats and a ridgeback growing up and Bella was my first puppy as an adult. She has been challenging at times but I wouldn’t change her for the world.

Bella is a show cocker...she could walk for hours and never seem to run out of energy but equally after an hours walk in the morning she will sleep on the sofa for 4 hours solid.

Happy puppy searching.

Iona & Bella