Author Topic: New Owner of Show Type Cocker Spaniel  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Grasmere9

New Owner of Show Type Cocker Spaniel
« on: July 24, 2020, 11:06:03 AM »
Good morning All, I have joined as we have recently become proud owners of a Show Type Cocker. He is a blue roan and coming up to 15 weeks and loving life! He has a Golden Retriever big brother who is 6 years old. Can anyone give me an idea if his weight is on track please, as all the online advice varies so much! Shadow is 7.3kg and on Iams puppy. My partner thinks he looks a bit chunky. He gets at least one good walk/run across fields everyday and playtimes in the garden with Harvey. He tends to fall asleep at about 8.30 and wakes at 5.30 (bit of a killer!!)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: New Owner of Show Type Cocker Spaniel
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 02:10:12 PM »
Hi and welcome to you and Shadow!
To be honest, I didn‘t find the  weight charts etc a lot of help, cockers vary so much, we have some on here reporting theirs are 11 kilos end weight whereas others can be 16/17 so its difficult to judge without seeing the dog. I do remember however that I nearly drove myself and the rest of the family round the bend fretting over Humphrey’s weight as a puppy and it spoilt the joy of puppyhood to some degree. The term „puppy fat“  is literally that and they very often look very chubby at that age but take on a more slender look as they mature. A more reliable guide is to feel the body, you should be able to feel the ribs and when viewing the body from above, you should be able to see a waist, although even then, my dog didn‘t develop a figure, as such, until he was a bit older.
His routine sounds good so as long as he‘s healthy and doesn’t feel „fat“ and is not getting too many extra treats,   I wouldn‘t worry too much.
 :luv:

Offline Grasmere9

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 06:43:11 PM »
Hi and welcome to you and Shadow!
To be honest, I didn‘t find the  weight charts etc a lot of help, cockers vary so much, we have some on here reporting theirs are 11 kilos end weight whereas others can be 16/17 so its difficult to judge without seeing the dog. I do remember however that I nearly drove myself and the rest of the family round the bend fretting over Humphrey’s weight as a puppy and it spoilt the joy of puppyhood to some degree. The term „puppy fat“  is literally that and they very often look very chubby at that age but take on a more slender look as they mature. A more reliable guide is to feel the body, you should be able to feel the ribs and when viewing the body from above, you should be able to see a waist, although even then, my dog didn‘t develop a figure, as such, until he was a bit older.
His routine sounds good so as long as he‘s healthy and doesn’t feel „fat“ and is not getting too many extra treats,   I wouldn‘t worry too much.
 :luv:

Thank you!! You forget how exhausting being a new Mum is!! LOL. He is adorable!

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 09:06:51 AM »
Hi and welcome to the wacky world of cockers...

It's perfectly natural to worry about the little nutters but it can turn you into a stress bunny if you're not careful!  I'd forget about weight charts - why does it matter what he weighs?  Both puppies and charts will differ somewhat anyway.  The simple rule of thumb is if he looks fat (a bit tubby is OK) feed a bit less, if he's looking on the scrawny side feed a bit more. 

Good tip above from bizzylizzy - tempting to overdo it with the goodies so mind how you go...

...and don't forget to crack on with the training - look forward to hearing about his progress...

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:52:18 AM »
Sorry not up to date on the weight query....but wanted to welcome you and hope you enjoy your new bundle Shadow.....I think you will soon realize he is well named....they aren't called velcro cockers fow nothing.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »
Enjoy your pup and don't get too anxious about the weight issue. Like us they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Offline Grasmere9

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 12:50:35 PM »
Thanks everyone!! I have a Golden Retriever too....they say they can eat! But Shadow puts Harvey in the shade :005:
I am more bothered about him getting upset when I leave the room! I am doing lots of popping out of the room but he seems to hear me every time! He cries at the bottom of the stairs if I go up there! On a positive note he walks really nicely on his lead and can sit on command...for a piece of kibble of course!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 02:37:49 PM »
Cockers are not known as Velcro dogs for nothing! Daisy goes from room to room with me, bathroom included!  ph34r And yes, they tend to like their grub.

Offline Grasmere9

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 03:50:22 PM »
I understand that Shadow may want to follow me about and am fine with this but it does worry me because in September I return to work 3 days a week. Someone will pop in to walk him midday and my cleaner will be there another. He is great in his crate and is happy in there. Baby steps I suppose...just want him to be as happy as my Retriever! They have made friends and it is lovely watching my Harvey clean Shadow and play with him. I will keep leaving the room and returning quietly so that he learns that I will return! On another note...how do I post a picture of him!??

Offline IonaD

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 06:06:34 PM »
Welcome to the page!!!

Bella is my first cocker and this group has been a life saver for us!! No question seems to daft to ask!!

Bella follows me everywhere in the house, I got to the point of having a bed in three different rooms so she can sit comfortably wherever we are. Bedroom, Lounge and kitchen...If we’re in the bathroom she just hogs the bath mat!!

I never managed to upload a picture...I just have her on my profile instead  :blink:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 04:56:45 PM »
Wishing you a warm welcome
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010