Author Topic: Concerns over yet to picked up puppy's diet  (Read 2922 times)

Offline BalsallBaggy

Concerns over yet to picked up puppy's diet
« on: August 05, 2020, 05:55:50 PM »
Hi all

We are picking up our new working puppy next Friday.
Had a slight red flag today as asked the breeder what he is being fed as wanted to continue with it for a while and the answer I got was Webbox Chub Rolls :(
I'm trying to not set hares racing with the family (or in my mind) over what this suggests generally and was hoping for something a little healthier (no offence if any of you love it, just going on what I've read!).
Not ideal but should I take the approach of accelerating his phased changeover in food?
Cheers
Mike

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Concerns over yet to picked up puppy's diet
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
I have never heard of webbox chub rolls so I googled it and found this on the webbox faq site:

Are the Webbox chub rolls suitable for puppies?

Unfortunately, the Webbox Chub Rolls are not suitable for puppies. The chub rolls are a complementary food, so they don’t contain any of the vitamins and minerals needed for a growing pup. The Chub Rolls are designed to be fed to adult dogs alongside a mixer biscuit.

Maybe the puppies get more than just the chub rolls? If not then it definitely makes sense to start changing the feed as it is not a complete balanced diet even for adult dogs, and especially not puppies. Maybe ask a few more questions from the breeder? I never heard of it so I don't know anything about the ingredients. Just thought I had to share this when I stumbled over it.

Offline BalsallBaggy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:45:16 PM »
Thanks Mari, that's what I read along with some pretty negative comments on one or two message boards.

The only positive I found was that it's cheap!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:51:54 PM »
Hello, Chubb rolls are cheap, but that is for reason.  Personally wouldn't be my choice, but I would suggest you let the pup get settled before changing food, and then do so gradually.One less change for them to deal with in the first weeks.  I have used Lily's Kitchen, Natures Menu, Burns and Naturediet, previously, and Daisy is on a pre mixed raw diet now, form Honeys Real Dog Food. 

Offline BalsallBaggy

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 10:21:06 AM »
Totally agree ejp

Have been reading about raw diets, would like to get him on that eventually as can see the  benefits, but guess that will take time given the start he's had, plus I'm a rookie owner so don't want to rush things.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »
We were all rookies at one point, so don't worry about it.  I like Honey's because of the quality of the meat and it is premixed, so I know Daisy is getting what she needs.  In addition to that, they are very helpful when trying to figure out what is best for your dog, and I have asked them many questions both before and since becoming a customer.  We have a small chest freezer for Daisy's food, and I place an order every few months.  Once you get into a routine of defrosting it is really easy.  Just in case I forget, I keep a couple of tins in the cupboard.  Also a bag of plain white frozen fish, just the basic range from the supermarket, great as a standby, but mostly for a dicky tummy.  Just poach in a decent amount of water, and give them the water too, handy if they are not drinking much.  Pups can get dehydrated quickly, if they have a runny tummy.  Anyway, usually someone on here if you have an issue, who can help out. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »
Another fan of raw food here!
As ejp says, we all had to start somewhere but the support on here is invaluable, whatever the question they‘ll be someone who can suggest something to help....
I remember reading about raw feeding when I had Humphrey as a puppy and thinking how complicated and  inconvenient it all looked, but then a groomer suggested it to improve Humphrey’s coat, she promised I‘d notice a difference in a week and she wasn‘t exaggerating.
I do the same as ejp, i.e. freezer‘s full but I always keep a couple of tins handy incase we go anywhere or a forget to defrost. There are good alternatives and I‘d be the last to suggest there‘s only one way to feed a dog, plus everyone’s circumstances are different but raw is no where near as difficult as the radical gurus on the internet groups  would have you believe  ;) , the deciding factor for me is that its pure natural food without any of the additives that can be responsible for so many ailments and allergies.
Its obviously a personal choice but certainly worth consideration. X

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 06:47:22 PM »
Just one thing I would say,  a lot of vets have a rather negative attitude towards raw feeding for many reasons of their own or profession that they feel relevant, so when you discuss feeding with your vet, bear in mind that it might not be his/her choice and attempt to give you all manner of reasons why you should not go down that route,  remember all things being equal, that at the end of the day it is your decision.

You may well be blessed with an open-minded vet, I do hope so.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 08:30:54 PM »
I personally have some concerns about raw diets. It is important to be sceptical when the medical professionals are worried. But the most important thing is that the puppy gets a complete and balanced diet suitable for age and health status. So raw, vet diet, grain free, cheap, expensive. There are many options that are acceptable. But I find it irresponsible for a breeder to feed puppies on a food that is not designed to be a complete diet. Cheap does not automatically mean bad, but this particular food item is not a balanced diet on it's own according to the manufacturer. That would worry me. If this is really all the puppy is getring, I would not wait to change over to better nutrition as it is very important in a growing puppy. I would get a puppy feed for sensitive stomachs from the vet and start mixing it in with the current food asap. Then, when the puppy is settled, you can decide what type og diet you want for your dog. Raw or traditional, wet or dry. Doesn't matter as long as it is good, ballmanced, appropriate nutrition  :blink:

Offline BalsallBaggy

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 09:57:01 PM »
Some great advice here folks, thank you all so much.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 03:02:59 PM »
I have concerns over every decision I make for my dog!  :lol2: The comment about vets did make me think of when I moved our previous cockers on to raw feeding.  The vet looked offended when he asked the question  :005:  Cue ten years later when his son now runs the practice and he is a big fan of raw feeding.  It is important to weigh everything up.  There is no one size fits all option sadly, that probably would have saved me a few grey hairs! As long as you take a reasonable approach to things you shouldn't go too far wrong.