Author Topic: Lip fold infection  (Read 4280 times)

Offline henrys mum

• Site Member
Lip fold infection
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »
Ive not been round for a while but wondered if you lovely people could help. Henry is nearing his 15th birthday. He had smelly breath for a while and was eventually diagnosed with a lip fold infection. He's had 34 days of a 36 day course of clarithromycin and ive been cleaning his lip folds with dilute Hibiscrub. We went back to the vet today and he says the infection hasn't cleared and he's taken a swab for antibiotic sensitivities. Can anyone suggest anything else i could do?
Thank you
Pat x

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Lip fold infection
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:22:21 PM »
If he is fit enough for it, you could consider surgery. It's a quick and permanent fix. If not, then I'd say you're already doing all that you can. Swab to make sure you're treating with the correct antibiotics is always recommended, sooner rather than later, so good that it is getting done!

Little things in day to day life is just using food and water bowls that kan be cleaned effectively every day. No plastic bowls as they kan have scratches that harbor bacteria. Wiping away food or pus of anything that collects in the lip folds. If he has any toys that he likes chewing or carrying then probably keep them as clean as possible too. Probably things you already know, but it's the only things I can think of.

Hope the results of the swab and culture gives you a more successful treatment! My girl was much younger when she had this, but after months of trying "everything", I finally decided to do the surgery. It's not particularly invasive as it is just removing the affected skin and closing with a few stitches. So really it comes down to the risk of anaesthesia. Recovery was nothing compared to the infection.

There are gels that contain clorhexidine too, they are sometimes more effective than hibiscrub because they're left on the skin longer. You could ask your vet about that. I have no idea if they are safe to use near the mouth. But things like clorexyderm spot gel (dr.baddaky)could help if it is safe to use on the mouth. If not, then stomodine is used in the mouth so definitely safe, not sure if it's strong enough though. Ask your vet about it, they probably know or can ask the manufacturers if they don't know.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 06:28:11 AM »
Bella was diagnosed with lip fold dermatitis and it often became infected leading to various doses of antibiotics. We decided It wasn’t best for her if we kept giving her antibiotics every time it happened so we went to a homeopathic vet. (We would have had the surgery but living in Italy, the vets here weren’t very familiar with the procedure and we didn’t want to risk it).

She was on a dry diet of biscuits but he said this was contributing to the infections and suggested we changed her diet. She now eats potatoes, veg and fish/meat or ricotta with oil and water. It has cleared up the infections and (touch wood) she has been fine since!!

During the summer with extra drool she can get a little bit whiffy so we wipe the folds with clorexyderm wipes and it clears up any smell or dirt in the area.

Hope this helps. I came on here and got loads of info from others  about what they have done to treat it, including changing her food and water bowls to ceramic and metal. If you look in Health I think there are already on or two posts with suggestions also.

Good luck!!

Offline henrys mum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:24:47 AM »
Thank you for your quick replies. Henry has a plastic water bowl so i will replace that today. A good excuse to go to a pet shop xx

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 11:33:53 AM »

Virbac  do Hexarinse (chlorhexidine )which I use on Ollie if he gets a wee bit smelly in hot weather it is very good.  I dab it on cotton wool and get it wettish and dab on. 

I feel for you as my other cocker had recurrent issues.  Just a word though I have googled to see if the treatment my other cocker had many moons ago is still used today and it seems to be....and that is antibiotics along with course steriods....Jay to my memory had issues twice and both times he was given a short dose of both....after that I manged to keep it at bay with mouth cleanser.

Hope Henry improves soon.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 09:26:25 AM »
Lady had huge issues re this later on in life so when she had to go in for anything else that involved sedation this area was debrided and clipped back too.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 10:48:05 AM »
Try Colloidal Silver spray and cream- sorted one of mine quickly. Amazon sells it.

Offline henrys mum

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »
The vet has contacted me today with Henrys results. He has a fungal infection and has been prescribed doggy metronidazol for this and also another antibiotic.

I asked about using colloidal silver to clean his infected areas. I was advised NOT to use it near the mouth or anywhere it can be licked off as it could cause problems if it is ingested.

Pat

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 07:29:30 PM »
Just show how things can be missed without further investigation -few years ago I had what I thought was a cold sore so treated with Zovirax ....after a week it had really gone worse and angry....I went into the pharmacy and she gave me treatment tablet and cream for thrush....within a couple of days it was going.

Hope Henry soon picks up.

Offline henrys mum

• Site Member
Re: Lip fold infection SAD UPDATE
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 08:25:42 PM »
Sadly Henry passed away in the early hours of Tuesday morning 6th October. He was the kindest, softest spaniel with a big heart and even bigger paws. Since i lost my husband in 2014 he's been my reason for getting out of bed every day.
Thank you for listening.
Pat xx

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 06:27:55 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss! Your description of Henry was so warm and loving, he must have lived a good life with you. I hope you find a new reason to get out of bed when the grief is not so fresh. We here on the forum certainly understand how important a cocker family member is, so we will gladly listen if you want  to write and share  :bigarmhug:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 11:21:58 AM »
Pat

I am so very sorry to read about Henry, as Mari say's Henry had such a wonderful life with you and in the end that is all we can hope for with our darlings - a life where they are loved by us and in return they give us their devotion.

There a few words that can console you - but I am thinking of you and take care.

Sleep tight Henry.

Julie x

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »
Pat, so sorry to hear about Henry  :'(
They become such a huge part or your life, it is just heartbreaking when they go.  As the heartache  fades you will be able to look back at all the fabulous memories you made with Henry and remember what a wonderful life you gave him.  Take care   :bigarmhug:
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 11:15:50 AM »
Am so sorry - its never easy no matter how many times we go through this or expect it. Run free Harry xx
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline henrys mum

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 04:46:32 PM »
Thank you Penny Pam Mari and Julie.

Pat xx