Author Topic: Advice on potential ‘failed’ gundog puppy - 6 months  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Advice on potential ‘failed’ gundog puppy - 6 months
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 05:47:24 PM »
You lucky, lucky lady having a dog from Andy!  He’s one of the leading lights in ensuring our breed continues to the standard they should be.... your boy will be a delight and is part trained as you know!

My best advice is to get to a gun dog trainer. Even with no intent to work him, they will give you exercises and games to play with him that will tire him out far more than a walk. This will help with him being over energetic - your walks sound ideal though you really want him to “work” for you by hunting ground close to you.  The last thing you want to do now is to encourage him to go too far from you (more than 15 feet) - he’s still a pup and that teenage phase may see him taking the mickey and free hunting/running - another reason to go to training classes early rather than too late!

Enjoy your boy, Oran is a great name for a wcs  :D

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 09:02:12 PM »
Well, if Pearly is impressed, you know you have cracked it! That is a very valid point about gundog training, the only one I know of is Blackmuir Dogs and he is Paisley/Renfrew direction, so way out of your area.  Maybe ask the breeder, it's the kind of thing where they know each other, if that makes sense. When you put him in his crate do you always close the door?  I am rubbish at training, so feel free to ignore, this is just what I did.  Initially I fed Daisy in her crate, had a cue word (inside) and treated her for going in.  It was anything that made it a happy and safe space for her .Oran has left everything he has known in his wee life so far he is bound to be a bit unsure as yet.  How about going out and leaving him in the sitting room, but just for 5 mins.  No fuss leaving and no fuss coming back.  Then you can see how that goes.  Or if you could maybe leave him in the kitchen/utility where he can do less damage.  Move everything of the worktop though as he sounds like a bit of  kangaroo  :lol2: Anyway, short bursts of being alone and build it up.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2020, 07:21:58 AM »
Agree with ejp, its very early days yet and its a very different environment for him too. Leaving and coming back should just be as natural as you can make it, so the less comment and fuss you can make the better. I finally resorted to giving Humphrey the free run of the kitchen but put the chairs on top of the table (my neighbour asked if I was „still shut“ for a coffee!  :lol2:) after he pinched my tablets off the top shelf!
You‘ll get there, he sounds like a little star, and there‘s always COL to turn to in the meantime!  :luv:

Offline fionamarymac

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »
Thanks Pearly & ejp for your advice re a gun dog trainer, I would love to do that with him. I can’t wait until he’s a bit older and we can explore lots of things together. I’ve been doing a lot of hill walking so I’ll be taking him up some Munro’s when he’s old enough (and the weather is better). He won’t even go outside for a pee, it’s so wild!

So I’ve been leaving the room for walk calls and he’s been brilliant, fast asleep on the sofa when I come back. He’s not currently a chewer so if he’s happier like that I don’t mind letting him not be in the crate.

I have to say he’s a very calm puppy in general. He’s asleep right now beside me. He gets very excited when he sees people and then settles right down. I was preparing for so much more hyper and to be honest I’m delighted with him. I’m sure he’ll change a bit but I hope his general temperament stays like this. I’m so happy to have him.

Have a lovely weekend all xx

Offline fionamarymac

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2020, 05:44:53 PM »
Also folks, sorry if this is obvious but how do I post pics?? Would love you to see him, he’s very fluffy. 😄

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2020, 08:51:38 PM »
He is doing so well, and just popping out for a short time is perfect.  He seems pretty content for only being there  few days.  Gosh, ages since I posted a photo.  You will need photobucket or flickr kind of thing, and you can link it from there.  Some clever person (not me) will tell you how. Would love it if you can suss it out.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2020, 06:19:55 AM »
Just wondering how Oran is progressing, nearly two weeks down the line.  Would be lovely to have an update.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2020, 06:33:21 PM »
Good shout, would love a little update too.  :D

Offline fionamarymac

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2020, 08:39:27 PM »
Hello!

I was thinking I might do a little update, thanks for checking in guys! So it’s been a busy 2.5 weeks and I have to say I am quite tired! Mainly due to early rising! Oran likes to wake up at 5am. I think we’re cracking it now as he’s out in the hall and been waking up at a normal time now he’s not in the room so that’s good! Getting there with toilet training finally tho many accidents! I’ve figured out he needs out every two hours so none last few days.

He’s definitely developed more energy and naughty puppy tendencies. Last week I took him to the vets and he has an ear infection but treating it now. He absolutely food obsessed but is starting to learn that he can’t try and wrestle mine out of my hands!!

Training is going well. Recall good and learning down and leave it at the moment going to a lot of work with him Over the holiday.

One question I have for you all is on food...the vet was not impressed by his diet of mincemeat and egg in the morning plus dry food in the evening. I’ve sort of been giving less meat and more dry and put him on Lillie’s kitchen but unsure on quantity, he probably gets 200gm in the evening. It’s so expensive!!!

Other than that, zoomies! Lots of them. But I’m letting him burn the energy off the garden.

Apart from that he’s completely loveable and fun tho we’ve definitely had more trying moments over the last week though starting to settle again. He’s a good egg.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2020, 08:55:21 PM »
I feed Maisie on Lilly's Kitchen, and YES it is expensive.  If you buy online direct they will email you when there is an offer on.  I have stocked up quite a lot in the last couple of months, they have had 20% off on several occasions.  I can only assume, like many businesses at the moment, times are hard.  If I recall, you do normally get an email indicating when the delivery will arrive.  I know that can be a problem for anyone out at work.  Definitely one to keep an eye on.  Have a lovely Christmas with Oran. 

Offline juju

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2020, 09:10:34 PM »
Izzy, my 8 year old W.C.S. does very well on Millies Wolfheart dry food. There are different types and they have an advice line you can phone to discuss what might suit your dog. It costs about £45 for a 12kg. bag. I order it over the phone and delivery has always been very reliable.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 06:44:35 PM »
https://www.justdogsshop.co.uk/product-category/food-treats/all-dog-food/
Nice wee independent owned pet shop your side of the country.  They carry Eden semi moist food which is good quality, they have a few brands, so maybe worth a look.  Skinners is another option you might want to look at.  Lily's Kitchen is worth signing up to as they have offers on fairly often and if you have space you can stock up when they do a 20% off deal.  Depends what works for both of you.

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 06:49:00 PM »
Our Gemma did very well on skinners field and trial. Very reasonable and no vat
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2020, 09:00:47 PM »
Had forgotten about Skinners, another good option.

Offline fionamarymac

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2020, 09:59:00 AM »
Merry Christmas all. Hope everyone had a lovely day!

Thank you for all the helpful food suggestions, very helpful. I’ve taken the plunge and just bought a massive bag of Lilly’s kitchen which he does loves.

He’s been an absolute hit with my family. He really is a true gem.

Wishing everyone a better 2021!! Xx