Author Topic: Two puppies from same litter - crazy?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline jillpoppy78

Two puppies from same litter - crazy?
« on: January 04, 2021, 12:40:18 PM »
Hello. I have been extremely lucky to find a good show breeder and I am due to collect my female blue roan puppy on Thursday. Now when I started my search I did want 2 puppies from the same litter but in talking to several breeders I was put off as they said they advised against it because of the difficulties in training. Basically the pups will not listen to you, they'd rather be playing with each other! One of the buyers of the pups from my breeder has pulled out so there is the possibility of having 2 girls from the litter. I have already puppy proofed the house and myself and my partner will be at home full time with them, not just for lockdown. I'm retired, he is due to retire in June. I will have plenty of time to walk them separately at the start to teach recall. I have had a show cocker for the last 13 years, sadly we lost her 3 months ago. The breeder is ok with selling me two if I'm sure I can handle it. I was thinking of getting another in a year anyway. Am I being daft to consider it? Thanks, Jill.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Two puppies from same litter - crazy?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 01:01:15 PM »
Hi,
I really would not recommend two litter-mates - especially not bitches.  Look up 'litter mate syndrome' and you will get an idea of what could very likely happen.  Either the two dogs end up bonding with each other rather than their human family, or they end up competing and fighting.  The problem is that bitches fighting is often very difficult to resolve and can either end in horrific injuries or having the two dogs separated for life to avoid this.  It often ends in rehoming of one of the dogs.  I'm sure someone will come on and say that they've had two litter mates with no issues - it's not impossible.  But it's impossible to predict how the relationship will turn out.  Surely it would be better to avoid potential future issues and heartbreak rather than see how things turn out?  I'd also be wary of any breeder happy to rehome littermates together unless they were going to working homes where they could be separated more easily and trained separately.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL

ooo you must be excited picking up your girl on Thursday

I agree with Emilyoliver re getting litter mates, please do your research before making any decision especially on litter mate syndrome

Wishing you all the best and look forward to seeing pics of your girl  :D

Offline jillpoppy78

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 02:24:55 PM »
Hello. Thank you for replying to my dilemma. I confess that in my hunt for a pup, I must have spoken to 20+ very reputable show cocker breeders and 80% were not in favour of selling two littermates. Those breeding particolour pups more in favour than solid colour breeders. I was, however, not aware of litter mate syndrome. I had been told siblings would be harder to train, possibly harder to bond with as an owner, there would obviously be more fun on the chewing and toilet training front. But no one mentioned aggression between littermates. Everything else I could cope with, but unhappy fighting pups where one would have to be rehomed would break my heart. I said to the breeder I would make a final decision by the end of the day. I'm still thinking hard, but may be reverting to the plan of puppy two at 12-18 months as planned. This is what all the other breeders told me to do. The litter I am getting my pup from are just all so beautiful, it was very tempting when I was told today another was possibly available. It seemed like fate, but I think I need my sensible head on. Thanks, Jill.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:20:23 PM »
Hello. Thank you for replying to my dilemma. I confess that in my hunt for a pup, I must have spoken to 20+ very reputable show cocker breeders and 80% were not in favour of selling two littermates. Those breeding particolour pups more in favour than solid colour breeders. I was, however, not aware of litter mate syndrome. I had been told siblings would be harder to train, possibly harder to bond with as an owner, there would obviously be more fun on the chewing and toilet training front. But no one mentioned aggression between littermates. Everything else I could cope with, but unhappy fighting pups where one would have to be rehomed would break my heart. I said to the breeder I would make a final decision by the end of the day. I'm still thinking hard, but may be reverting to the plan of puppy two at 12-18 months as planned. This is what all the other breeders told me to do. The litter I am getting my pup from are just all so beautiful, it was very tempting when I was told today another was possibly available. It seemed like fate, but I think I need my sensible head on. Thanks, Jill.
Puppies (especially cockers) are so beautiful it's difficult to be sensible - totally understand!  Getting a second one in 18 months time would be the best option really as the first should be reasonably well trained by then.  And that makes all the house training, manners training, etc so much easier for the second one (and you).  Plus you get to look forward to getting a second puppy later on :D.  Lucky you!
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 05:02:56 PM »
Been there, done that and wouldn't do it again.  I loved having the two of them, they were great company for each other, we were lucky, they got on.  However, training was tricky and we were not experienced enough dog owners to deal with that.