Author Topic: 9 week old pup :)  (Read 1355 times)

Offline ClaireK

9 week old pup :)
« on: January 24, 2021, 06:16:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

We brought our 9 week old cocker home yesterday. He's 9 weeks old and a working cocker although his mum and dad are pets and not worked and he looks from his head shape and ears to have some show in him too. Anyway he's an absolute dream ❤️

However he's my first dog and he doesn't seem that interested in playing yet and I'm not sure if this is normal!? He's very interested in snuggling which is wonderful. He was vet checked, first injection before coming to us and we've got the vet card showing this so physically he's well. Do you guys think his behaviour is normal? Is he just settling in. He's obviously only a baby so I'm prob expecting too much! He was around kids in the home he came from and we have a 3.5 year old who he's yet to meet (happening this morning!). So is this all to be expected?

Thank you all! I'm so in love with him he's so affectionate he's a little Velcro dog and tbh he can stick to me all day if he wants ill even take him on the school run!

EDIT: he's eating drinking peeing pooping (eventually- to all these things!) - can you tell I'm a worried first time cocker mum 😂

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: 9 week old pup :)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:01:00 AM »
Hi and welcome! I think we‘ve all been worried first time cocker Mums (or Dads) at some point, especially those of us who took them on a pups, you end up watching every move!  ;)
Your little one has just left his mum and the company of his siblings and needs to find his paws in new surroundings with new smells and new people, its perfectly normal that he‘s quiet and a bit subdued and just seeks the warmth and security that he‘s missing. Also, the vaccinations can sometimes also make them feel a bit off colour. I‘d advise just allowing him to come around in his own time, if he likes to cuddle that‘s ok, keep things quiet for a few days, you can give him the opportunity to play gently for a few minutes but keep the sessions short and don‘t push it if he‘s not interested.
Enjoy the peace and quiet though, I guarantee in a week or so you‘ll be wondering whats hit you!  :lol2:  - Puppyhood is such a lovely, special time that passes all too quickly so enjoy every minute, there‘s always someone on here to help with any worries you have, no matter how trivial, so you‘re not on your own. Best of luck, look forward to hearing more!  :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
Hi and welcome, ooo enjoy those cuddles - agree with bizzylizzy it's all new surroundings and he has left mum and his siblings so will take a day or two to feel secure in his new home

Wishing you all the best with him and look forward to hearing more and hopefully a pic or two  :D

Offline ClaireK

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 05:19:32 PM »
Thank you both for the reassurance ❤️🐶 he met my 3.5 year old daughter and our 3 year old niece today (we are bubbled!) and took it all in his stride like the little superstar he is. He's all tuckered out now next to me on the sofa. He even slept for 45 mins in his crate while we sat next door. He will very very rarely be alone ever because I work from home but I want him to be happy on his own for a short bit in case of emergencies etc he's been wonderful with my daughter and our cats and they are best buds! Honestly how did we live for so long without him in our lives!? I will never be without a cocker again! X

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 07:51:37 PM »
Defo a good idea to give him time out and time alone without you even though you are working from home - will be of benefit in the long run if sometime you do need to leave him

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 06:43:42 PM »
A new puppy  :luv: just lovely.  He has been taken away from all he has ever known and is just  tiny baby, the human world is a scary place.  Just make sure he has his own space where he can feel safe and secure, and before you know he will get his paws under him and be his own wee person.  Definitely give him a little bit of alone time, so it lets you plan for the future, like you say, you just never know what can crop up.

Offline ClaireK

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 04:40:47 PM »
Thanks everyone he is a little treasure. Come out of his shell so much more and plays lots. He's great with my daughter and niece and doesn't torment the cats too much! Been taking him out in a Sling as we're out loads at the park, school run etc and he has genuinely grown a fair bit since we've got him and is now eager to get out the Sling and play! He is so good at keeping me company when I'm working but equally is happy chilling in his pen and crate, which is where he is now. Honestly he has slotted into our lives so easily. He's so eager to please and just wants to do the right thing. When he's done the right thing like sitting or weeing outside or coming when called he's SO delighted with himself. Bless his heart. Pic attached because it would be cruel to deny the world his beauty haha ❤️

Offline ClaireK

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »
Ok how do I attach a pic it just does this:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 09:03:03 PM »
Hello welcome to COL
Ben was our first cocker and I remember ringing his breeder thinking he was deaf as he was very laid back for the first week, he seemed to ignore everything, slept straight through from the word go, and totally ignored us when we talked to him.
By week 3 we had a firecracker of a cockerdile 🤣🤣 enjoy the snuggles while you can 💕 xx