Author Topic: Crate location change at night  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Cactus99

Crate location change at night
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:30:07 AM »
Hello

Planning for our pups arrival in a couple of weeks time, he will be 7 weeks old when we collect him and used to being with his mum and 8 brothers & sisters, I wanted to get thoughts on crate training / sleeping overnight. We have a ground floor flat and the pup will mainly be in the kitchen, living room, garden section, the crate will be in a quiet corner in the kitchen where he can still see into the living room and into the garden, the bedroom isn't far and is just down the hall - we will be able to hear him if we are in the bedroom.

We would like him to sleep in his crate in the kitchen overnight (that's the idea anyway :lol:), hoping this will help with building confidence and independence in the long run. For his first few nights / weeks I am anticipating he will be unsettled and anxious so am thinking to either sleep in the living room for a couple of nights or move his crate at night to the bedroom, then gradually move the crate down the hallway and into the kitchen over the course of a week or two - I've seen this method suggested on a few threads.

Would be great to hear of experiences & thoughts

Thanks so much!

Offline Shaun W

Re: Crate location change at night
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 08:46:30 PM »
I would start where he is going to end up so in the kitchen, otherwise you’ll have to go through the separation twice.
I didn’t sleep with Alfie, but I did get up every two hours to let him out.  Basically get him outside toilet back in, don’t make a fuss of him.
I then moved to 2.5, 3 hours, at the point where he looked at me in disgust and didn’t want to come out of his crate when I came in I stopped getting up to him in the night.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 09:02:30 AM »
I agree with Shaun, start in the location you want him to be in.

Ash's crate will be in the kitchen and I will also get up every couple of hours and put her out and straight back in the crate - no fuss given (straight out toilet and then back in the crate)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »
Hi! I don‘t really think there‘s a wrong or right way to do it, a lot will depend on what your gut instinct tells you to do when your pup is there. While I do agree with the last two comments, that is without doubt the most sensible approach, I had intended to do it like that but when  faced with a crying pup who was working himself up into a complete panic I relented and slept on the couch for the first couple of nights and literally held his paw through the bars of the crate while he fell asleep! Over a couple of nights I moved the crate further away into the hall and then went back to sleeping upstairs while Humphrey slept downstairs and we set up a baby phone for the first couple of weeks. He still settled very quickly however and we had very little problem with him waking during the night.
Its good to plan ahead and certainly think about how you‘re going to handle things but be prepared to throw a lot of good intentions out of the window and succumb to having a little furry bundle of joy wind you round his paw!!  :luv:

Offline Cactus99

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 02:57:39 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice! I guess it's difficult to know until we get the pup and see how he copes, the kitchen / where he will be most of the time seems like the best option along with maybe a couple of nights sleeping nearby on the sofa for ease.

I've heard a ticking clock next to the crate can help and a hot water bottle - would love to hear of any other tips and aids anyone has used to help in the first few weeks too.

Thanks!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 09:44:28 AM »
You can give the breeder a blanket or soft toy so that the mother can leave her scent on it, that supposedly helps the pup feel happier. Haven’t tried it but it sounds good!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 06:33:08 PM »
You can give the breeder a blanket or soft toy so that the mother can leave her scent on it, that supposedly helps the pup feel happier. Haven’t tried it but it sounds good!

My pup will come with a blanket that has been with the litter / mum - my breeder sends one with all their pups - Ash will be wrapped in that on her journey home  :shades:

Def worth asking if the breeder you are using does this, if not ask if you can provide one a couple of days before for be in with the pups and mum