Author Topic: over protective dog  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Swinston

over protective dog
« on: February 15, 2021, 06:29:45 PM »
Hi all I’m in need of some helpful advice.
My 16month old dog has always been great with me and my family.
I have two kids 4 month old and 3year old.

Recently he has become so protective that he has scared me the way he has guarded them while I’ve gone to play with them. He really shows his teeth and seems like a different dog. I wouldn’t put my hand near in fear he will really bite me.

I can’t feel scared in my own home and I don’t feel it’s safe to keep him with having children. Help greatly needed.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: over protective dog
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 09:43:32 PM »
I had a “guarder” , but not of people.   When did he start showing signs of guarding?  It may be possible to avert  more , but obviously you will have to keep him the other side of the baby gate. No dog can be trusted with small children without supervision.  But in this case he may be  showing jealousy  of your attention to the little ones,  and  it’s a confused reaction to the crying and toys.  He may think you are the problem. But he is giving you a warning-growl/snarl,  not flying at you.
I felt there was nothing worse than my beloved pet snarling at me, eyes red at the edges.   With the help of  Cockersonline,  we learnt how to cope. I think you need to contact  a very experienced behaviourist to  to assess and advise you, and be on the end of the phone for you.They will help you see what triggers this, how to reward  him for good behaviour  and to have you all as a family group again.
Cockers are extremely sensitive and intelligent.  It’s imperative not to lose your temper with them. They don’t know what they are doing is wrong.  They need steering with positive reinforcement , and infinite patience.   I can understand that with two little ones you have your hands more than full without a mixed up energetic  dog.
 Does someone take him out for exercise.  If difficult, this is what professional dog walkers are for.  He needs to be tired out  and given games and brain work at home.  I guess the three year old will have nursery so he gets a bit of peace.
I used a trainer for one of my terrier rescues, once a month for a year. Costwise, the same as a weekly class of with ten naughty dogs for year.   Individual attention for an hour is brilliant .    What part of the country are you, as some of us could recommend  people.  They vary.
I know I have rambled on, sorry!   While separating dog and children,  make him feel special with you, not shut out of all fun.   He is very young, confused, and thinks like a dog.  But you and the children come first. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Swinston

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 12:19:07 PM »
Thanks for the full reply you give me good info. Yea he gets walked everyday for about 30/40 minutes.
It’s as if he’s protecting them when I stand towards them or even if playing he’s always following me and making sure I’m not hurting them. He is the same with grandparents. Doesn’t like them picking the kids up and stuff.

I live in Widnes.

The aggression towards me that has scared me has only happened the last couple of weeks but the other day was the worst.

Deep down we know it’s a major problem and thinking it’s too risky to keep him with the kids. Very sad time for me and my partner but we could never forgive ourselves if something happened

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 03:18:48 PM »
It’s very upsetting. I knew someone whose bull mastiff started guarding her toddler. Obviously it was rehomed immediately , with grandparents, where it was fine.  Another incident I knew locally was a pet Akita biting a child. This was a sad ending for the dog.   
Reputable rescues need to know a dogs honest history, and will strive to choose adopters without children.  A happy cocker not labelled as a biter, would find a loving home with delighted owners quickly.  You should not have to worry about him.  From your point of view,  it’s a question of stress. The stress of keeping a much loved pet learning to cope with kiddies, compared with keeping any energetic dog  with two kiddies.  My daughter has two young children and two older dogs, 2 cats. All are fine but she has been in tears, near to rehoming when she’s been trapped by the difficulties of exercising and playing with the dogs. She gave them a little holiday at the  kennels when her husband  was away, to stay sane. I still babysit so she can take them out.  One is a working type spaniel, both need masses of running.
Unless  it is close friends or family,   never rehome  privately . Good rescue centres  ensure the best for the dogs.
Please don’t take any risks.  All concerned , and your pet , should be enjoying this happy time. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 03:13:46 PM »
Hi all I’m in need of some helpful advice.
My 16month old dog has always been great with me and my family.
I have two kids 4 month old and 3year old.

Recently he has become so protective that he has scared me the way he has guarded them while I’ve gone to play with them. He really shows his teeth and seems like a different dog. I wouldn’t put my hand near in fear he will really bite me.

I can’t feel scared in my own home and I don’t feel it’s safe to keep him with having children. Help greatly needed.

It’s very difficult to offer help without knowing the exact circumstances or why you boy is behaving the way he is.  From your note he sounds confused.  Is it his job to guard the children and if he is thinking like that, why?

Some cockers respond well to being treated as pets (allowed on furniture, free reign of the house, lots of cuddles) others need to earn their “treat”.  I had one that fell into the latter category and it took me at least five years to figure it out.

If your boy is giving you a warning, he has his reasons and is actually doing the right thing for a dog.  You need to figure out why he thinks it’s his job to protect the children and why he has a lack of respect for you.  A good behaviourist will help you with this.  You’ll have a happier dog and a safer environment for you and your little ones.

If the training, behaviourist sessions and (potentially minor) lifestyle adjustments are not something you want to do or feel will give you that level of trust back, please choose a spaniel rescue such as Cocker and English Spaniel Rescue who have a wait list of home checked owners and know how to deal with cockers and this sort of behaviour - they have a resident behaviourist.

Selling him risks a very confused cocker that may not just growl next time....

As you are in Widnes you may want to book some sessions with Kipperidge Gundogs.  Adrian Slater is KC accredited and knows dogs, especially spaniels and will help if the behaviourist route is not for you.

Hope it works out for you all.

Jayne