Author Topic: Six months on................  (Read 1852 times)

Offline woodlander

Six months on................
« on: March 29, 2021, 03:23:54 PM »
Forgive me this post but its been six months now since we lost our beloved Archie & Sweep.  6 months........... I can hardly believe it.  Our shock at their deaths so close to one another has given way to sadness that we have lost our two wonderful dogs - how I wish we could have had a little more time with them.
We have found the winter months challenging without four legged friends but we have tried to go out most days for a walk and have kept busy doing I don't know what really.  During lockdown small mundane things take on the mantle of  "challenge of the day" and of course a lot of our thoughts have been about should we get another dog.

Its been a difficult conversation - our daughter & family live in New Zealand and OH is now well into his four score years & ten!  He feels that time is not on his side for travelling across the world and the next time we visit (whenever that may be) we would like to spend an extended period over there up to possibly 6 months.  We both feel that it wouldn't be fair to a new dog to leave them for so long.  OH also says that he probably wouldn't outlive another dog and doesn't want to leave me on my own with a pooch. 

So for now we have decided not to get another animal - I think its a case of "head says no but heart says yes".  I am a bit sad at the prospect of  not having another dog as there is a spaniel shaped hole in our hearts but for now its the right decision.  Hopefully once lockdown eases we can start to do some of the things that are not always easy with a dog - last minute weekends away perhaps.  We will also get a doggie fix next week as we are looking after my brothers labrador for the day.

In the meantime I enjoy catching up with all the news on the forum and seeing lovely pics of all the spangles.  I hope everyone is well - make the most of your time with your beloved furry friends - our time with them is so short. :luv: :luv: 

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Six months on................
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 06:05:45 PM »
Your post has really touched me - possibly with a kind of understanding.  My boy in over 13 and as I type he is catching up with his sleep after a lovely day out with OH and I.  We received bad news in the New Year about our boy and each day is extra special as I am sure you will understand.

I am sure you must have been filled with thoughts of another spaniel - the last months has been filled with walking and naturally the encounter of those wagging tails will have brought memories.

My husband and I (maybe me more than him) have planned to see New Zealand one day, but somehow I feel it will never happen, for us the loss of a dear friend who's retirement was planned in New Zealand was shattered with his very sad passing last year. 

The spaniel shaped whole in your heart is very really - but maybe fostering might bring some rewards and maybe the doggie fix you mention can become more frequent.  I hope that brighter days covid wise are ahead, I hope that long awaited re-union with your daughter and her family is not to long off.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 06:09:55 AM »
Hi, your post could have been written by me (bar the New Zealand bit)  :luv:

I lost Fern in 2019 and then Rhum last August. OH said no more dogs 🐶 it was a hard pill to swollow

He gave in and said that he wouldn’t out live the dog if we got one. I had said that if we don’t get another dog we won’t go out for walks, he said yes we would, but the walks slowly stopped without a dog (so you are doing better than we did )  :luv:

Agree with Jaysmumagain about consider fostering  :luv:

Sending you loads of love and hugs  :luv: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Hope you get to NZ in the not too distant future - COVID has a lot to answer for x x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 07:15:29 AM »
I can totally understand how you feel. When my last dog died, the same week my youngest left the nest to go to uni, I was at an all time low and it seemed to go on for months. We swore we couldn’t go through that pain again and concentrated on the benefits of being independent of any ties. That seemed to work for a while but that doggy hole was always there, I suffered constant back ache, put on weight and, despite all good intentions, the daily walks became now and again walks when the weather was right! The intention is that on account of our age, Humphrey  will be our last dog, he‘s still young ( nearly 6) so presumably, - hopefully, we‘ll both  be in our late 70‘s when we have to part. He gives us a reason to get up in the morning and brings so much joy, I can only imagine how old age would become a total drudge without a dog. Short term fostering, dog walking if I‘m still fit, dog sitting etc would be a good alternative, I wouldn‘t want to risk taking on another dog and having him outlive us. I think there‘ll be lots of dogs desperate for a bit of companionship during the day after lockdown, maybe that would give you a flexible option?
Glad you’ve decided to stay with us here on COL though, - its a great place for raising the spirit!  ;)
Keep us posted!  :bigarmhug: