Author Topic: IVDD  (Read 1333 times)

Offline katiebiks

IVDD
« on: November 09, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
Anyone have any views on ivdd, my 7 year old Tri cocker
has had problems with her 2/3 vertabrae in her neck, she now seems back to normal after nearly 4 weeks rest/ lead walks, but my lovely vet after looking at her x-rays suggested she go to a neurologist, perhaps have an mri. She is insured but not for the huge amount they are projecting for the MRI plus surgery. She seems back to her normal self, but I certainly want the best for her. She hasn't any paralysis, just a painful neck. I've halved the metacam as she doesn't seem to need that either, she just looks spaced out. Anyone help please ? Thank you.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: IVDD
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 03:33:03 PM »
Hi,
I had a show cocker, Ollie, who had 3 bulging discs.  He had a number of episodes of extreme pain, and when nothing much showed up on x-rays, he was referred to Fitzpatrick's where he had an MRI that clearly showed the discs that were bulging.  The good thing was that myself and the vet agreed that surgery wasn't necessary at that stage, that i should keep him fit, but that I should stop doing agility with him to reduce the chance of damage.  He was 6 at the time, and very fit.  I kept him fit, but just made sure not to overdo things (no day-long hikes or mountaineering!), but still lots of 5 mile walks and no other restrictions in the house.  He had a couple of very mild episodes after the MRI that I treated with rest and Metacam for a few days each time, and he recovered fine.  He never needed surgery and lived to 14 and a half as a happy, energetic little dog  :luv:.  The MRI was very useful in terms of the vet being able to see how serious the problem was, and I was glad it was done so I had a proper diagnosis and knew how to treat him.  I would have the MRI, as without it you will be in the dark about the seriousness of her condition.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  They are special little dogs  :luv:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 08:48:44 PM »
Hi.  My 6 year old show cocker has had another relapse of his IVDD today.  He was diagnosed with it when he was 2 years old.  He has calcified discs in his neck and lower back.  He had an MRI and CAT scan (all under his insurance) to give us this info.  If you can, I would get an MRI so you know what you’re dealing with.    My vet gave us Gabopentin for a while and Metacam as and when we felt he needed it.  That has continued off and on over the years but more Metacam has been needed this year and he had an X-ray in June.  This showed worse calcification by his neck and as from today, he’ll probably be on Metacam for a long time and we’ll see how the gabapentin works for the next 7 days.  He’s not paralysed but gets stiff at times and particularly the start of autumn when the weather changes.  We’ve not been able to throw a ball since he was younger and we try not to walk him longer than an hour, as he’s stiff the next day.  We may start physio for him in the New Year. 

Hopefully your dog will be ok after his meds but just keep an eye on him.   You’ll know when he’s not right. x

Offline Darwin

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 02:31:30 PM »
Sorry it's so long since you posted.

What advice do you need ? 

A very brief summary is that Darwin was paralysed by IVDD in March 2016.  Luckily we live very close to the RVC.  The MRI showed that 3 discs had imploded.  Our only choice was surgery, which was successful and he made a good recovery, but with one weak back leg  But in the November 2016 he had a relapsed with additional discs going, which caused more nerve damage  No MRI or surgery this time.   Our IVDD journey has been difficult at times.  He's not had an off lead walk or mixed with any other dogs since his surgery.  BUT his tail is still waging!!