Author Topic: Pup sleeping outside crate?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline SuperCockerMax

Pup sleeping outside crate?
« on: August 20, 2021, 09:04:28 PM »
Hi all, hope everyone and their cocker is well  :lol:

Our Max just turned 7 months and we're hoping to slowly let him realise that he can sleep outside his crate at night without the need to destroy everything and be naughty. He does know when we're not looking and he knows he can get stuff he shouldn't get and do things he shouldn't do (like socks and eating my cereal respectively  :005:) we're looking for tips on how to go about this if anybody has any insight that would be great!

He has a big enough crate but we want to be able to give him more room at night in case he wants to stretch put a bit or even cool down if he feels too warm.

Thanks as always everyone!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Pup sleeping outside crate?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 06:06:59 AM »
Depends on where you want him to sleep (as in room I am meaning)

Ash is nearly 7 months and now sleeps in her crate in our room, with the exception of last night, I think OH was obviously feeling cold  :005: as he let her out of her crate once I got into bed :shades: and So the hot water bottle slept on the bed with us  ph34r

The only downside was I got up at 4.30am to use the bathroom, so she got up - put her out and went back to bed, all was fine until 5.45am when she decided she was hungry

So I eventually gave in at 6am and fed her, now I am wide awake and she has gone back to bed with her dad >:D  no long lie for me this Saturday morning  :'

Sorry no tips but just my experience from last night and ours being out the crate - hope that helps  ;)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 10:36:15 AM »
Hi, - as Cazza says, depends on your future plans.
We allowed Humphrey run of the hall and the kitchen (hall is closed off from the rest of the house) and left the open crate in the corner. HOWEVER  :005: he did manage to climb onto the chair the second night and chew half a packet of my thyroid tablets that were on the shelf (panic!!). After that the chairs were always put onto the table before we went to bed and the kitchen was kept far more tidy than it was before! Eventually we gave him the freedom of the rest of the house but he usually just stayed on his bed in the hall until last winter when it was particularly cold and he decided to venture upstairs and sleep under the clothes hanging in the walk-in-wardrobe  :lol2:
Changing routines and habits are always more difficult later on so its worth considering what you want to do long term when deciding things now.  ;)

Offline SuperCockerMax

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 10:48:16 AM »
Thanks guys! At the moment, Max sleeps in his crate in the living room of our apartment and ideally that's where he will sleep. My other half would love to have him in the bedroom and on the bed but I don't want that bc I personally don't want to live the firat scene of "Lady and the Tramp"  ph34r not a fan of the dog sleeping on the bed :005:

So yeah, the living room is where his bed will always be. We're not sure about buying puppy fences because he van jump fairly well too. Would it be worth investing in the fences to close off areas?

Thanks again Cocker Forum!  ;) :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 08:24:52 AM »
Not sure about fences, have you a door way to the lounge? As you could put a baby gate on if you want him to have the run of the lounge

Or a puppy pen - that goes around the front part of the crate

Ash was back in her crate last night - OH got up at 4.30am to use bathroom so put her out, she then snuggled up on the bed with us until 7am - oh fed her and then put her out and then she came back to bed and I got a long lie until 8am (only because I am meeting a friend to walk at 8.30am  - better get my skates on as is 8.25am now  :005: )

Agree with Bizzylizzy- decide what you want long term as habits are harder to break later