Author Topic: Having trouble crate training and teaching to be alone!  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Kezm

Having trouble crate training and teaching to be alone!
« on: September 02, 2021, 07:55:08 PM »
Henry is 11 weeks today. I’m having real trouble crate training him. He just doesn’t want to go into it during the day. I’m trying to make it a nice place to be, I give him cheese to lure him in and tell him he’s a good boy, feed him in it and give him snuffle mat and peanut butter  kong only in the crate. Once he has finished he just walks out. He would never just go himself and would never nap there. I’ve tried picking him up when he’s napping and putting him in it but he just wakes up and walks out. He does sleep in it at night. He whimpers a bit usually at the start but does settle. He currently sleeps in the crate on the landing as I’m trying to transition from the bedroom to downstairs.

The other issue is he won’t be on his own for any time at all. I’ve tried leaving the room for a few seconds and coming back. But cries as soon as I go. They say don’t back in when he’s crying but he doesn’t stop. I will need to be able to leave him alone sometime, preferably in his crate but at the minute I don’t see how I will ever be able to do that.Any advice would be very welcome as I’m starting to worry I’ll never be able to leave him.

Offline MrsFlintstone

Re: Having trouble crate training and teaching to be alone!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 08:45:18 PM »
I ended up abandoning crate training, it just wasn't right for us. Once we made that decision Bonny slept next to our bed and on the bed with us half way through the night. I found that she bonded with us better and seemed more secure and relaxed which eased her anxiety. She's not often left alone for more than an hour but on the few occasions we have left her She's been fine, no damage and a happy dog when we return (she has the run of the house).

B is 7 months now and we have kept to the same nightime routine, it works for us but I appreciate that crates work really well for most dogs.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 06:33:32 AM »
Stupid question but you say his crate is on the landing, do you have another crate or are you feeding him on the landing in the crate?

I have a crate in the kitchen and what I did was feed in there, give a Kong in the day in there but shut the door on her - I stayed in the kitchen and prepped tea / cooked tea etc that got her used to going in the crate in the day.

Then I worked up to leaving the room at first just to get the wash basket that was in the hall to walk back in and empty the machine (this helped me do the washing in peace  :005: and built up the trust that I would come back)

I have 4 crates  :shades:  one in kitchen, one in bedroom, one in the study (I work from home) and last one in the car

Ash very rarely goes in the kitchen crate now unless I need to leave her in the house and pop out without her. In the day she goes in the study crate and curls up

Night time she used to sleep in the crate in the kitchen but since she hit 6 1/2 months she sleeps in the crate in the bedroom

You have to decide on what you want and be consistent - when Ash was 11 weeks I would put her in kitchen crate to nap in the day - I would close the crate door, yes she whined but soon settled as she was tired, it’s like having a baby, you know they are tired (but cockers don’t like to give in they may miss out on something   :005: )

You will get there - wishing you all the best

Offline Kezm

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 07:06:21 AM »
Stupid question but you say his crate is on the landing, do you have another crate or are you feeding him on the landing in the crate?

I have a crate in the kitchen and what I did was feed in there, give a Kong in the day in there but shut the door on her - I stayed in the kitchen and prepped tea / cooked tea etc that got her used to going in the crate in the day.

Then I worked up to leaving the room at first just to get the wash basket that was in the hall to walk back in and empty the machine (this helped me do the washing in peace  :005: and built up the trust that I would come back)

I have 4 crates  :shades:  one in kitchen, one in bedroom, one in the study (I work from home) and last one in the car

Ash very rarely goes in the kitchen crate now unless I need to leave her in the house and pop out without her. In the day she goes in the study crate and curls up

Night time she used to sleep in the crate in the kitchen but since she hit 6 1/2 months she sleeps in the crate in the bedroom

You have to decide on what you want and be consistent - when Ash was 11 weeks I would put her in kitchen crate to nap in the day - I would close the crate door, yes she whined but soon settled as she was tired, it’s like having a baby, you know they are tired (but cockers don’t like to give in they may miss out on something   :005: )

You will get there - wishing you all the best

I move his crate from the landing into the hall under the stairs and feed him there. Thanks for the reply. I suppose I just have to be persistent and patient with him.