Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Quick question
« on: September 09, 2021, 06:51:15 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone remembers Top Barks (Mark) writing his dissertation about cocker behaviour. It was quite  a while back, I am wondering if it was posted on the forum anywhere? I have done a quick search but can’t find it.
Having lived with Ben’s issues mostly caused by our lack of experience and poor advice when he was a pup when we were told us he had ‘rage’ 😡 but he was just a normal pup,  then Harry being a rescue and all his guarding problems , George is a blank canvas and so clever but very wilful it would be nice to be really clued up about what makes them tick 😊 to make sure we help him learn to be the best cocker he can be 💕
Thank you

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 08:27:49 PM »
I think Top Barks dissertation was about coat colour and aggression.  If that is what you are interested in?
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 09:59:07 PM »
Top Barks (Mark ) has a FB page, maybe there will be more details on there, this is an item on his page - so you know you have the right chappie. 

Established in 2005 Top Barks is run by Mark Sanderson BSc hons (canine behaviour and training) Cap1, Cap 2 Member of The Association of Pet Dog Trainers (0977) Top Barks offers

Must say I always found his advise most helpful when he used to post on here

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 08:45:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I hadn’t remembered it was about coat colour and behaviour (it’s my age I forget things 🤣) I thought it was more general about cocker traits and behaviours like guarding etc. I am wanting some really good info about cockers from people who know and understand the breed.
Interestingly when I was looking at getting another cocker I was looking at rescues it was interesting/sad and scary how many had been given up due to aggression, guarding and a lot had already bitten at such a young age.

George has a wonderful temperament and both his parents had as well and I want to ensure I end up with a happy confident boy 💕

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 07:33:50 AM »
My thoughts , (for what they‘re worth, Humphrey is my first cocker) I think you hit the nail on the head when you say your lack of experience and poor advice led you to believe Ben had rage. I‘ve read quite a lot of articles on rage but have no direct knowledge so certainly wouldn‘t presume to express an opinion about it but I think its a stamp which is very quickly placed on cockers as the answer to any sign of unwanted behaviour. I do think handling makes a huge difference, cockers are sensitive and don‘t react well to confrontation and as a result, their natural traits e.g. guarding can either become huge issues or can be  „managed“. My dog guards his treasures more and more as he gets older and in an earlier life I‘d have approached the problem  differently and ended up quite likely with an aggresive  dog, but I‘ve learned SO much here on COL which has help me raise a happy sociably competent dog. The old training methods based on dominance probably had a lot to so with the problem but thank goodness things have changed. Unfortunately there is still a LOT of bias and consequently humbug surrounding the breed, - only last week I heard of a trainer here asking a neighbour of mine if she realized what she‘d let herself in for with a cocker and our local dog home is still advertising a cocker  which will only be given to someone „who understands how to deal with a red cocker“ (the poor dog‘s been there for months but will probably never have a chance with that attitude).
I realize I‘m rambling now but its a bit of a soap box topic for me  :005: - the’re  such a wonderful breed and its so sad  when a lot of their „problems“ are man made and then they’re dealt a reputation they don’t deserve. Best of luck with George, he sounds lovely and I‘m sure he‘ll be absolutely fine!  :luv:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 05:05:23 PM »
Best of luck with George, he sounds lovely and I‘m sure he‘ll be absolutely fine!  :luv:

Thank you 💕

Yes it was 19 yrs ago right when ‘dominance’ theory was most popular and before I had access to a computer at home, a different world!  Ben used to have these biting sessions, snarling grabbing at us and nipping he was 12 weeks old and I called a local behaviourist who said we needed to show him who was boss, have him castrated at 6 months and thought as he was solid black he might have rage! Imagine my horror when finding COL I discovered this was typical  boisterous cocker puppy 😢 I never got over feeling we failed Ben by being ignorant.

George is such a happy soul he has had his first antler today and has swapped it for some chicken quite happily. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:46:31 PM »
George sounds lovely and learning so fast.

Please don't feel bad, I think to be honest  that was the way training went then, when I took my first dog to training, they still used to advocate choke chains (slimly disguised as 'check chains' and also the 'I'm the boss so I know everything' attitude from the trainers - thank goodness things have moved on - more fun and less regimentation has got to be a good thing, me thinks, after all we want them as well behaved, lovable pets - not to guard the nation.  :shades: :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 10:57:33 PM »
I remember the dissertation, which as vixen says, was investigating coat colour and difficult behaviour. It must have been about 10 years ago.  The conclusion was that it wasn’t true that  black and golden were worse.  I was relieved  as I owned the black  difficult one.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.