Author Topic: Anyone heard Librela for arthritis** UPDATE**  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Anyone heard Librela for arthritis** UPDATE**
« on: August 09, 2022, 04:43:21 PM »
Due to Ollie taking steroids and prednisolone he is unable to have certain meds like Meloxicam.  The vet has suggested this.  Have done a quick search and on VioVet it has good feedback.

Any knowledge of it.  I understand it is a monthly injection and you buy 2 doses - while it may not work, if it gives a better quality of life is it worth the try.  Plus he has gained 4 lbs since May.....so OH has to stopped the treats and it's carrot and apple....or Ollie new favourite watermelom :shades: :shades:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Anyone heard Librela for arthritis
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 05:36:15 PM »
I haven’t used it myself but I was speaking to a lady yesterday who had an elderly (13 years old) collie who was on this injection.  He was limping when I saw him which is why I asked the lady if he had arthritis.  She said he was on a monthly injection and he was due another one very soon.  She was pleased with the results and said that following the administration of the injection she felt he had improved.  As with any medication, it is hard to know if it is effective or not.  I know from personal experience that arthritis does come and go, often much worse in bad/cold weather.  As she said, and I agreed, you will try anything to improve your dog’s quality of life.  Hope it does help Ollie.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 06:01:52 PM »
Just looked it up and found a report by the European Medicines Agency giving  the reasons why it has been authorized for use. Results appear to be positive, they did a test with 287 dogs of various breeds, all suffering from osteoarthritis. Some dogs received Librela and some had placebos, Out of those which received Librela 48% showed an improvement after 28 days against 16% who had the placebo.
Don’t appear to be any adverse side effects apart from the occasional bit of reaction at the point of injection. I guess its worth a try.
Love to Ollie, let us know how it goes!
Xx :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 07:33:36 PM »
Have to admit I looked at a facebook post and positives and negatives and some weird stuff.

Seems to be a bit of a mixed post as to some saying the longer dogs remain on it the less it works and others saying there dogs are really improved.  My vet has seen Ollie on a regular basis and before we discussed this she said he was doing well and put some of his reluctance to walk down to the heat which I admit he has always suffered with even when young.

Hubby away - but will have a chat and I guess move forward with this, it seems to be a protein which blocks pain rather than an anti inflammatory drug.

Will let you know how and what we decide

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Anyone heard Librela for arthritis** UPDATE**
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 08:52:00 AM »
It has been a week since Ollie had his 1st injection....must admit our planned appt was brought forward as we were concerned over a distressing episode during the night. 

Ollie started wanting to go out x3 in an hour in early hours, he was in pain and straining to poo,  he was anxious and panting constantly for an hour or more.  After a cuddle and making him comfy on our bed he settled and was brighter in the morning.   

Vet saw him at 9.30 and checked him over, no heart problem and no signs stroke, no confusion noted.

We decided rather than wait a day or too to go ahead with the Librela.

Two days on we had a cheeky cocker spaniel - his joint pain around his shoulder is certainly less pronounced and he is more mobile.  He had really showed a lot reluctant to go a walk. When I attempt to walk him he would get to the footpath outside our house and when we start to move away sit...with his weight I cannot lift him.  He even went eagerly to the car and attempted to jump in on Saturday, hubby had quite a time holding him back to lift him.

He does not appear to have any side effects, if it gives him a improved quality of life for a few months then that is all we can ask.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 09:38:35 AM »
Thanks for the update

That sounds like an encouraging  thumbs up for the Librela, after a worrying time hope the good news continues and Ollie is feeling much better and able to cope  :luv: .

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 10:36:41 AM »
Wonderful news for Ollie.  Really pleased it has had such a dramatic result.   :luv: 
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »
Oh Julie that‘s a great update! So pleased Ollie‘s happier and what a relief for you!
Lots of cuddles to the little fella from me and ofcourse tailwags from Hop Along Humph!
 :luv: :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 07:52:48 PM »
That's really good news, I am so happy for you and Ollie.  :luv: