Author Topic: introdusing a pup to a older dog  (Read 5910 times)

Offline cleopatra

• Site Member
introdusing a pup to a older dog
« on: January 26, 2003, 08:22:50 PM »
Hello, we are currently in the prosess of getting a bitch pup. We already have a 20 month old bitch and we where wondering how we should introduse them?                    

Offline Christine

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 09:59:30 PM »
Hello, we are having the same thing with our cat at the moment and our new puppy, all the books that I have read say to introduce them slowly.  We have had a good success in getting two old socks and stroking both animals with it and then swapping socks to get them used to each others smell, while keeping the two animals in seperate rooms, each dog/animal is different and one thing might work for us and might not for you and more importantly it is only day two for us, so things might change in our household ;D  Let us know what happens.  Good Luck                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Offline cleopatra

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 10:10:54 PM »
Hello,
 We have a older cat aswell at 1st she was discusted that we brought a stupid dog into her house and the cat pretended she hated the dog while the dog worshiped her.
But when we got the dog spayed the cat was distroute and now they have there own routen of cat marking dog dog licking cat there really good to watch but i think it just takes time keep a eye on them coz if the dog pushes too much a cat can really hurt a puppy i think it helps to have sumwhere that the cat can go were the dog cant fit.
I hope u have fun watching them like we do
emma                    

Offline Steve C

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 02:48:52 PM »
We have two cats who at first looked disgustedly at Tilly... >:(
How could we bring a long eared fur ball into their home? :o
As it turns out they have all got along fairly well - coming to an "I'm going to ignore you" type of truce. They all sit in the same room well enough, but snuggling up - even in this cold weather - is out of the question. The only down side is that Tilly likes to raid the cat food bowl at any opportunity which does not go down well!! ;D                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 03:11:10 PM »
Hi Cleopatra

When I brought Douglas home last year my Breeder said the best thing to do with introducing him to my other two boys was to let them find him.  I put him in the back garden, let the other two out and they went and found him and brought him inside ....  No probs at all with them.

HTH

Dessie :D :D                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline cleopatra

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2003, 08:35:55 PM »
hello,
 I think ill give that a go its a good idea thanks.
 emma                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2003, 10:05:32 PM »
I introduced mine pretty much as soon as possible. My springer has a great temperment anyway, so I knew there wouldnt be much of a problem - basically she just followed the pup (Daisy) round, wide-eyed ("what on earth is that?!"), for about an hour or so... Daisy however just looked adoringly at Jazz, and followed her every footsteps, which quite soon Jazz came to like. It worked out fine for me, but I know that it doesnt always. I always supervised them together to make sure everything was under control, and they didnt start sleeping together in the same place until I was absolutely convinced they were fine together, which was about 1 - 1.5 months later.                    

Offline Lizzie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2003, 01:27:43 AM »
I think each case is different.  My 9 year old cocker, Harriet, seems genuinely scared of my new 8 week old puppy and she is not a faint-hearted dog generally.  It might be that the puppy who is black looks too much like the "killer house rabbit" who has nipped Harriet several times!!!!  I am taking it very, very slowly and certainly not forcing Lottie on Harriet: they have had one or two close encounters and Harriet is a bit grousy but they will find their level one of these days.  It must be difficult for Harriet to understand this little, playful scrap chasing her and wanting to play and those little teeth - ouch!!!! - are soooooo sharp!

Mainly because of keeping Lottie and the rabbits separate I bought some metal caging panels which fit together to form a 4 foot square pen which is very useful and means that you can relax and do something else when you need to, knowing that nobody can harm anyone else.  These panels can also be used to form a fence across the room which means that Lottie can run around but not get at the buns.                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 09:58:19 PM »
Hi Cleopatra

My Breeder who is also involved with Cocker Rescue says that it works well with the Rescue Cockers as well when they are being introduced to another dog in the same household.

Dessie  :)                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands