Author Topic: Anything Else I Should Be Doing?  (Read 734 times)

Offline Wendy M

• Site Member
Anything Else I Should Be Doing?
« on: October 17, 2005, 10:20:13 AM »
Hi Everyone
Hattie has been home with us for 10 days now and she's an absolute joy!!  The crate-training has been fantastic - she's clean at night and she settles down no problem in her crate when I have to go out or at kids' mealtimes / bathtimes when I'm just too hectic to give her attention.

I'd just like to check I'm doing things right with the house-training though.  Newspaper or puppy pads are a total no-no. She just rips them up and tosses them around the room!  So we're training her to go out in the garden, which i prefer anyway.  She's great when we go out, most times anyway.  She virtually performs on command and gets a big fuss for doing this.  However, on occasion, more frequently the past two days, she's leaving puddles in the house, sometimes when she's only just had 10 minutes tearing around the garden.  At first, we were carrying her out to the garden but now I'm calling her to follow me so she gets used to going out the door herself.  I'm also leaving the back door open most of the time so she can get out.  We're taking her out every 10 to 15 minutes so there's no issue about leaving her too long in between but if we don't catch the 'sniffing' signs she'll make a puddle in the house.

She's only 9 weeks old so I realise it's early days yet but obviously I'd like to get to the stage where I can trust her to go out or let us know as quickly and painlessly as possible.  Also, following a flood a few weeks back, (another story!!), we're getting virtually the entire house recarpeted in a couple of weeks so you can appreciate my urgency!!

Is there anything else we should be doing or is it just a case of perseverance??!!

Thanks
Wendy
Wen xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 10:30:01 AM »
It sounds like your doing brilliantly to me  :)

Its good to hear Hattie has settled in so well - I am sure you will have the odd puddle for a few weeks yet; so you'll have to keep a close eye on those new carpets  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:48:57 AM »
:D Hi Wendy

You sound like your doing everything right tbh, just keep up the good work, with lots of praise when she does good and just ignore the accidents :)   I gave up on the newspaper too as Indie just used to shred it to bits too :lol:

Have you managed to take any pics of her yet, would love to see her :)

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 11:51:42 AM »
Hi Wendy - sounds like you're doing everything right to me!! That's certainly what we did with Max & he picked it up very quickly - it's just a case of perseverence & consistency really - that & patience!! Oh, & a roll of kitchen paper, some j-cloths & a spray bottle of mild disinfectant!!!!

:P
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:32:25 PM »
You are doing great.

With pups its always two steps forward and one back. When toilet training Alfie he would go up to three days without peeing in the house then pee up to 10 times in the one day :)

Keep up the good work. I would start stretching the times between wee breaks as the sooner she starts to practice holding on the better.

Good luck with the new carpet. We didnt have problems with pee, just the constant muddy wet paws. If you are getting your hall done you may want to invest in a protecter
Caroline and Alfie

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 12:34:05 PM »
we had this a bit with Jurra, she was just too easily distracted when going out and forgot to have a wee, then would go when back inside, just lots of patience, and encouragement.  our neighbours must think we are mad standing in the back so Jurra go toilet constantly... :D
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 01:40:32 PM »
Hi Wendy.
It sounds like your puppy is doing really well. I think it's a good thing that you are training her to go straight outside rather than mucking about with pads & newspaper etc.!! :)
It will probably be another 2 or 3 months before she is totally reliable. ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Spanielsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 02:24:44 PM »
:D It sounds to me like she's doing well.  :D  

I'd also make sure you clean the puddles with biological detergent and surgical spirit to really get rid of the smell so she doesn't go back to the same spot.

Oh, and don't forget the pics.......