Author Topic: Eating Stones  (Read 816 times)

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
Eating Stones
« on: November 14, 2005, 02:40:05 PM »
Fred (now 13 weeks) has an obsession with chewing and eating stones (amongst other things!). Whenever he is out in the garden with us he always finds a stone and proceeds to chew it. When we then try to remove it from his mouth he thinks it's a game and we have to chase him around the garden for 10 minutes!!

The larger stones are not a problem as he only chews these and they are easy to remove. However, he often picks up small stones (like pea shingle) and chews them and eventually swallows them!!

It seems impossible to stop him eating the small stones all the time and I was wondering if anyone else's puppy does this and is it bad for him??

Offline louisamoss

• Site Member
  • Holly and Bella
Eating Stones
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 02:55:38 PM »
Hello,

When my two were at that age they constantly ate small stones-it was such a pain because we have a gravel driveway and I felt like I was always taking stones out of their mouths! However I do have to admit that a few came back out the other end (if you know what I mean!) It didn't seem to do them any harm but i don't think it can be great for them.
They are 7 and 9 months old now and have totally grown out of it, so hopefully yours will get bored of it soon as well!!

Louisaxx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Eating Stones
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 03:31:40 PM »
It's not a good idea. If they chew them they can damage their teeth and if they swallow one that is too big it can cause serious blockage. If it is a big problem then you could always try a muzzle. ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
Eating Stones
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 04:04:47 PM »
It's not a good idea. If they chew them they can damage their teeth and if they swallow one that is too big it can cause serious blockage. If it is a big problem then you could always try a muzzle. ;)
[snapback]160228[/snapback]

I didn't think it would be too good for him!! I have now removed the flower pot that was covered in small stones from his reach but there are quite a few down the side of the house. I will continue to chase him round the garden and remove them from his mouth then!!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Eating Stones
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 04:25:47 PM »
You have to be careful not to make it seem even more appealing by chasing him, he could see it as a game and a good way of getting your attention. It is hard with pups though - we've all been there (snaffling up chewing gum from the pavement was Misty's favourite :rolleyes: ). Maybe you could practice the "give" and "leave it" commands indoors with a ball or toy - rewarding with a treat when he obeys. Hopefully once he's mastered that then he'll be more inclined to drop the stones, rather than you having to chase him.

Offline isla

• Site Member
Eating Stones
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 05:31:20 PM »
Jem did this for a few weeks although she has now moved onto litter... nice!! We have started "drop it" which works we give her a wee treat after that although he have to stand on the offending article as she tends to just pick it up again  :)

Must admit she passed a few though although the weirdest one was after a large poo one morning (sorry if you are eating) there was a round black thing sitting on the top of it. No idea what it was but she passed it no problem. it kind of looked like a beetle.... turns out that night when I picked up her fav toy I notice it was the nose of the squeeky dog that she had scoffed and passed out the other end. Bad cocker mummy for missing this although no harm done  :)

Offline AnnB

• Site Member
Eating Stones
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 06:36:27 PM »
Must be in the genes!!

We have a line of stones along the side of the house, and Bella makes a habit of grabbing for one every time she goes out of the back door! And I know what you mean about chasing, they are getting very fast now aren't they.

Bella has just had her walk for the evening, and is now lying comatose in her bed. I must admit though, that on these dark evenings a solid black cocker doesn't seem such a wise idea.

Shes loves the weekend walks when she can get off her lead, but the puppy recall isn't so good that we can chance it in the dark! She is only 13 weeks though (Fred's sister!!) so can't really complain.

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Eating Stones
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 07:07:00 PM »
The front garden is gravel and Pepsi used to love stones too. She's got better as she's got older but she does seem to think anything you drop by accident is fair game  <_<