Author Topic: Eating Habits ?!?!  (Read 687 times)

Offline cpmf1526

• Site Member
Eating Habits ?!?!
« on: December 12, 2005, 01:12:41 PM »
Hi Everyone
This is a weird/horrible one I'm afraid ......
Chester, my 14 week old cocker, has started (in the last week or so) to eat/lick his own, how do I put it ..... "Number 2's" !!!  He only seems to do this when we're not around (and I know he does because you can see the remains of it on the paving stones/kitchen tiles and his breath is awful) and I'm really worried about it as it surely can't be doing him any good !!  I wondered if we are the only ones experiencing this or if any one else has had this problem and if so, what can be done to stop him from doing this.  :huh:  
Any advice is apreciated ....
Thanks
Claire & Chester xx

Offline isla

• Site Member
Eating Habits ?!?!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 01:31:15 PM »
Hi

I'm sure someone on here recommended mixing pineapple in their food

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
Eating Habits ?!?!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:10:48 PM »
HI there,

Do not panic!  I was in a complete stress when I saw Barney eat one of his!  I immediately posted to this forum thinking I had a mutant dog!

I was told it is normal behaviour - it some official name which i cannot remember.  You can buy a tablet from Pets at home which makes it taste disgusting to dogs (please don't ask me why it tastes appealing to them in its natural form though!!).  We didn't actually bother with the tablets with BArney, we just shout at him when he tries to do it and we are there.  I am pretty sure he is growing out of it now anyway.

There are also some natural foods you can give them as well - pineapple may well be one of them.

It really does put your off letting them lick you though ;)

Good luck. Rachel & Barney xxx
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Eating Habits ?!?!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 08:28:36 PM »
Buddy seems pretty disgusted with his own poo, sort of offended if it's left lying around for more than a few minutes.

BUT, this morning we added horse poo to the list of horrible, decaying, rank delicacies we have grown to love.

He's not licking me for a few weeks!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Eating Habits ?!?!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 09:07:47 PM »
As hes only 14 weeks old, it might be worth trying to break him of the habit early by staying with him while he is out in the garden and going back to basics with housetraining so he doesn't get the chance to soil in the house  :)

I have known some dogs who have developed the habit of eating their own poo to keep their living areas clean....so if you clear up his poos straight away then he won't get the chance  <_<

BTW, Annette - Molo used to eat horse poo, hes grown out of it now  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
Eating Habits ?!?!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 09:29:57 PM »
God, I remember Max had a cowpat loving phase - eurgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!