Author Topic: Melody's First Week Home  (Read 2436 times)

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
Melody's First Week Home
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 09:42:41 AM »
Thanks Gilly, will have to see how she is on her first season but I may not get her spayed at all if its not too much bother.  Obviously she'll be kept in our garden during that time and its well enclosed.  Time will tell.

Since I've had my kids I've turned into a very cynical person where doctors are concerned I'm afraid and this has probably helped in my descision too.  I've been told far too often that my sons or daughter needed this, that or the other treatment when in fact they didn't.  So whilst I may listen to doctors/vets advice - its up to me what I do with it.  Am I rambling or does anyone understand me  :blink:
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline isla

• Site Member
Melody's First Week Home
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 10:52:21 AM »
Spaying can be a really difficult decision especially if you were like me and didn't really know a lot about the pros and cons.

I must admit my vet was really good and advsied she could be neutered at 6 months or after her first season if we weren't planning pups (which we are not). He said health wise there was not must in it.

Having spoken to numerous people we have decided to wait until after her first season before making a decision. I personally wanted to let her mature naturally. Its funny because in the past month or so she has really grown up and has calmed down and become more settled.

You'll see from my earlier posts that I am a bit paranoid about the whole season thing but I feel its the best thing for Jem.

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
Melody's First Week Home
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2006, 02:29:46 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL [/size]

the vet said I should get her booked in to be spayed at 5 and half months and she'd be better off to have it done before her first season.  Is this normal? 
[snapback]171517[/snapback]

If you want her spayed I see no reason what so ever  to wait until her 1st season. I have had bitches for years and  in the past they were always allowed  a 1st season. However in recent years a lot of  vets have changed their practice based on research. My recent  bitches and those of my family have all been spayed just before their 1st season and it has not affected  them at all, no different to those who were  delayed. It is up to you really.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver