Author Topic: Home At Last  (Read 1641 times)

Offline issey

• Site Member
Home At Last
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 09:58:19 AM »
hi, its lovely isnt it having a little puppy, they are so dependent on you and give you loads of love and affection. Issey is my constant shadow lol!!!!
just watch your washing pile .....

but enjoy it

love
karen xxx :)
love Karen xxxxxx and Issey xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Marie

• Site Member
    • http://
Home At Last
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 10:55:23 AM »
Hi

fin is now nearly 10 months old and the best piece of advice we were given by COL members was to not go to fin in the night when he cried when we first got him home.  

It was soooo hard the first night but we perserved even when i was crying in my bed and he was crying in his :( .  However, the third night we put a hot water bottle in his bed with a ticking clock and we didn't hear a peep from him :) .  Now 10 months later he goes to his basket in the kitchen when we go to bed and we do not hear a sound until we wake him up the next morning.

[span style=\'font-family:Optima\'][span style=\'font-family:Arial\']Marie and Finlay[/font][/span][/span]

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Home At Last
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 02:12:48 PM »
Congratulations. Bringing a new puppy home is just as exciting as bringing a new baby home! Can't wait to see some pics. :D

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
Home At Last
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 08:39:28 AM »
As Freddy is now having a sleep i thought i would come on here.

So far nearly so good, although we are having a few minor issues.

1st afternoon and night he was ok however last night he wouldn't be apart from us, if we leave the room he will cry and will stop when we touch him. Is this how your little cuties where when they had come home? I think we were up with him about 4 times in the night, is this normal

Also toileting was fine the 1st afternoon and night he would go back into his pen and go on the newspaper and we have been taking him outside and there has been no problems but last night and this morning he does it on the carpet before i have turned around, do you think he has realised that this is his new home and is just getting used to the place.

We also had our first bark last night  :)  :) woof woof .....

Gill, Dan and Freddy
[snapback]186150[/snapback]

When Barmey first came to us he hated being apart for the first couple of weeks - even when i went to the toilet he would whine outside the door!  The first night we did go and comfort him when he barked but after that we ignored him and eventually he learnt that he should not make noise at night...it does take time though and it can shatter your nerves!!

Barney was a nightmare to toilet train too, so i don't think little freddy is being abnormal.  We used to take him out for a wee and then 2 minutes later he'd wee on the carpet in front of us.  Just keep persevering taking him out regularly and ignoring the accidents.

Good luck - the days do get easier i promise!!!  and i am sure you are loving having little Freddy around :)
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Home At Last
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 01:26:48 PM »
I used "Supernanny" tv prog's advice about settling kids down and we now have a routine.  Out to the garden for a poddle around, a pee and pooh.  Inside, back to the sitting room.  Then I pick Paddy up for a cuddle, I walk round turning the table lamps in the sitting room off while talking to him quietly.  We head for the kitchen together (still cuddling him), I sit on a cushion on the floor with him in my lap, stroking and talking quietly for a couple of minutes, then I lift him into the crate, sit there stroking and talking for a minute, then door closed, low level light left on (do others leave their dogs in the dark??) round the corner from his crate, and off I tootle to bed.  If there's any whining - ignore it or else you're "rewarding" the behaviour with attention and only prolonging the problem.

Not a peep out of him since I started doing this - all the cues are there that bedtime's coming, it calms him down before he's crated with a couple of toys and a "me-smelling" blanket - no surprises for him.  OH tried putting him to bed when he wanted to watch the Superbowl and Paddy wasn't having any of it - the table lamps were still on, so there was obviously action to be had (well, a human foot to snuffle against).

By the way - is Holly's crate covered with towels or blankets?  If not, try this too, as the "cocooning" often calms them too.  Also useful in the car if you use a crate in the car.

Hope this helps.

Denise