Author Topic: Help With Collar Probelm  (Read 907 times)

Offline judebt

• Site Member
Help With Collar Probelm
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:05:41 AM »
:(  Hi there. I have just joined the forum today, we got our new black working cocker pup 2 days ago and she is gorgeous. An absolute live wire!! We are calling her Roxi. Have a question though... has anyone had a problem getting their pup to take to a collar??? She absolutely HATES it. When you put it in she just sits and cries! She will be playing and going bonkers, put the collar on and she frantically scratches and then lies down and WONT move. Any suggestions????

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Help With Collar Probelm
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:24:10 AM »
hi and welcome to col,you have found a great place regarding cockers :) as for roxie and her collar i would just leave her with it on and she will eventually get used to it.how old is she?have you tried to distact her when it's on?maybe a few treats and lots of good girl praise may help or if you have taken it off put it back on just as you are about to feed her.you could loosen it a little more too, just until she is used to it.i had to do that with my paddy when we first got him.he was fine after a few hours. :)
i have paddy a black and tan worker/show cocker and millie a blue roan show type.

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
Help With Collar Probelm
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:24:29 AM »
Welcome to COL :)

Love the name Roxie my previous am.cocker was called Roxie

I assume your puppy is between 8 and 10 weeks old at that age they are all a bit like that with collars, is your puppy's collar a soft one if not perhaps buy a cheap felt cat collar for a week  (remember to remove the bell though) and only put it on for short periods at a time she will soon get used to it.

My puppy Georgie 10 weeks hates wearing his my fault though as I tend not to put collars on my dogs indoors only when they go out.. he will get used to liking it knowing it's for walks.  :) ...
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline PennyB

Help With Collar Probelm
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:42:36 AM »
I ddin't bother too much with collars in the early days. However I did put harnesses on my for when I carried them out and about (something to grab hold of when they wriggled).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
Help With Collar Probelm
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »
I ddin't bother too much with collars in the early days. However I did put harnesses on my for when I carried them out and about (something to grab hold of when they wriggled).
[snapback]186495[/snapback]

Good idea with the harness.. going to turf Molly's puppy one out now.... :)
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Help With Collar Probelm
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 11:36:23 PM »
Hi the day we brought him home (still unnamed  :P  1st day it was Tyson 2nd day Wally 3 day Jackson) his collar went on and it stayed he had too many distractions new things to look at he does still scratch at it occassionaly but day 3 and he hardly notices its there. My advice is so long as it is soft and not to tight or scratchy just divert his attention with toys each time he scratches good luck it won't take long
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Help With Collar Probelm
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 01:16:06 PM »
Have you got the bible of puppy books, "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey?  If not - buy it, it's fantastic (apart from the stuff about dominance theory in my view).

My puppy, Paddy is 15 weeks old tomorrow.  I think that Gwen Bailey recommends leaving it till your puppy is properly settled in with you after a week or so before putting the collar on her, although I can't remember the rationale for that clearly.  I think it was about overwhelming them with too many new experiences at once.  However, given what other posters have said, this might be an irrelevant piece of advice!

Welcome and post some piccies of Roxi.  (I still don't know how to post pictures so you've only got my word for it that Paddy is a cutie!)

Denise ;)

Offline judebt

• Site Member
Help With Collar Probelm
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 09:16:23 PM »
:D . Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the advice. I perservered today and kept the collar on. Gave her plenty of fuss and play. Initially she would only play on her back cause then she couldnt feel the collar but as the day progressed she seemed to forget it was on. It is now 9pm and she seems quite happy with it. SUCCESS! perserverance definitely pays off. She is 9 weeks old. Have only had her 4 days and love her to bits already. Trained her today to sit on command which she does quite nicely. Next obstacle is training her to a lead, going to be difficult as she really doesnt like it! Does anyone know how to post photos???? She is so gorgeous i want to share some pics!! Thanks. Judith