Author Topic: Help Plz  (Read 1634 times)

Offline colleen1103

• Site Member
Help Plz
« on: February 13, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »
hi all ... im only new

i have a 9 week old puppy and since we bought her home we have been trying time out while we eat ..but every time we put her in a room with a baby gate up all we get is her crying and barking can any one help on how to stop her i even tryed her in a crate at nite in the same room and she was crying ..

thanxs

Offline issey

• Site Member
Help Plz
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 07:01:53 PM »
awwwwwwwwww

have you tried putting an item of clothing you have been wearing inher crate with her at night time, so she can smell you?
its worth a try

let me know how you get on

love karen xxx
love Karen xxxxxx and Issey xxxxxxxxxx

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Help Plz
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 07:47:21 PM »
Have you done any crate training with your pup??  By that I mean a minute or two at a time with the door open, then extending the time, using treats to make it a nice place etc or does your pup view it more as a punishment area???  If the pup thinks its a punishment area she is not going to be happy going in there!

Karen's idea of an item of clothing in there is a great one, smell is really important to them.

What is your pup called????

Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Help Plz
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »
I decided never to put mine in another room while we eat but I do make them sit quietly while we eat.

Mikey only cried once and I put an item of my clothing in with him as it's what I do with my son and it worked a treat.

Good Luck with your puppy and welcome to COL :)
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline colleen1103

• Site Member
Help Plz
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 09:47:16 PM »
hi all ..
thanxs for replys yes ive tryed crate training and it only lasted 5 mins befor she started crying .. ihave even tryed putting her in a room where she can see every thing and closed the baby gate and she was still crying .. so every where i have been and hubby been even tryed putting her with me other dog

sorry her name is holly

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Help Plz
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 09:48:40 PM »
I lost loads of weight when Ben was in his first few weeks!  First it was the count of ten out of the room (behind the puppy gate) is lasted for weeks - hence the loss of weight due to cold food and me getting very frustrated) :P In the end he just had a sniff of our food and then settled down.  (He has regressed recently but that's another story).  I would add that we didn't go to Ben when he was creating - even if he was quiet for a few seconds we would reward him (try the clicker training - it works wonders).

The night time problem wasn't too bad as my neighbours were away for the week.  I am a mean mum and let him bark until he eventually fell asleep :rolleyes: The early mornings were a real trial that I think I may have won.  My advice would be to go with what you're doing until Ben gets the message that barking gets no attention - being quiet gets a reward.

Have to say that I can't believe I'm giving advice!  Ben was a devil pup yet we're getting to the other side  :)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Help Plz
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 09:54:06 PM »
I have to admit ours are usually in the room when we eat. We eat at a table and they just lay at our feet, even Woody who is only 17 weeks.

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
Help Plz
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 09:55:46 PM »
Hello and Welcome to COL :)

I put Georgie from 8 weeks he is now 10 weeks in his crate when he was sleepy so when he woke up he was relaxed with his environment during the day with the door open ....now at bedtime I can shut him in with no problem and  he even goes in himself when he wants time out.... I am able to shut him in on the odd occasion if I need too and he is fine he has water in it, his favorite toy and soft bedding ....again though I wait till he is sleepy...

They are only babies and after a play a widdle and food tend to sleep a lot anyway :)

I tend to feed our dogs before us and they settle down......perhaps if you just let her play, feed her before you eat or give her something to chew she will settle in the same room with you..... :)
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
Help Plz
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »
Hi

I know how upsetting this can be but remember he is only 10 weeks old and probably hasn't been with you very long, so feels very attached to you at this age and probably feels like he's being punished for something as he can't be with you, however he must learn that it is okay to be seperated from you.  

Some thoughts have you tried leaving the radio on whilst eating or crating him?

Putting an item of clothing belonging to his favorite human is a good aid to giving him reassurance and comfort.  

Also regarding the crate, have you continued his training increasing the time left each time and treating when you go back to him provided he has been quite, even if this is for a mater of sec's, just see if you can increase each time.

I've just started clicker training with Snoopy and it works really well with him, as he loves rewards and most cockers seem to be food motivated, so how about trying her using a reward based system, namely when she is quite, she receivies a treat (no fuss at this point, just reward).  

Just a thought but what is he like if you leave him out whilst you eat?   Does he sleep in a crate at night?

Hope this helps.

Cheryl

cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
Help Plz
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 09:54:09 AM »
I know how upsetting this can be but remember he is only 10 weeks old and probably hasn't been with you very long, so feels very attached to you at this age and probably feels like he's being punished for something as he can't be with you, however he must learn that it is okay to be seperated from you. 

Some thoughts have you tried leaving the radio on whilst eating or crating him?

Putting an item of clothing belonging to his favorite human is a good aid to giving him reassurance and comfort. 

Also ding the crate, have you continued his training increasing the time left each time and treating when you go back to him provided he has been quite, even if this is for a mater of sec's, just see if you can increase each time.

I've just started clicker training with Snoopy and it works really well with him, as he loves rewards and most cockers seem to be food motivated, so how about trying her using a reward based system, namely when she is quite, she receivies a treat (no fuss at this point, just reward). 

Just a thought but what is he like if you leave him out whilst you eat?   Does he sleep in a crate at night?

Hope this helps.

Cheryl

Sorry I meant to put her not him in the above, i'll blame my cold, affecting my typing ability......
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline colleen1103

• Site Member
Help Plz
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 11:18:24 AM »
hi guys...

well last night went really well last night .. i left holly with my akita in the room and she cryed for 5mins then settled down well ... so i only have to try it day time now ..
so i would like to thank you all for the info

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
Help Plz
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 01:09:23 PM »
Hi again Colleen

Glad things went better last night.... :)

But be a bit careful leaving such a young pup unsupervised with an adult dog at this age...... I must admit I'm not a great fan of using a crate ( only as I'm fortunate to be home during the day ) but initially find it very useful for a young pup if I have to go out and at nightime I then put Georgie in his as I worry that my Rottie could sit on him and squash him and that Molly my 10 month old working cocker may play a bit too rough .... once he gets a few more months on him then he will be left out of his crate with no worries......My Rottie is sweet and gentle but she is a big girl and both her and Molly run around playing chase me with a toy ( Molly's favorite game) little Georgie joins in but only when I can supervise.....

Georgie's crate is in the same room as the older two so he is not on his own, perhaps you could try that with yours.

Edited to add perhaps that's what you did anyway! :)
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
Help Plz
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 11:03:15 AM »
Since we have had Fred we have been forced to sit at the dining table and eat in a civilised manner. All Fred seems to do is follow us to the table and sit underneath it whilst we eat.

He has only a couple of times tried to jump up on our laps but we re-inforced that this is not acceptable from day 1 and he never does it anymore.

I would try letting your dog do the same as Fred seems to just sit or lie quietly under the table until we're finished.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Help Plz
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 11:18:55 AM »
We also only eat meals at the table (even before having a dog). I feed Alfie same time as us so he eats his and comes and lies on either mine or Nigels feet whilst we eat only shifting to see if any scaps have ended up in his bowl ;)
Caroline and Alfie